Aussies Living Simply

DO YA WANNA TALK GARDENING?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables DO YA WANNA TALK GARDENING?

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 715 total)
  • Author
    Bobbee

Yes I’ve heard some funny stories of chookens with mice. I’ve never seen them catching and eating though, must be quite a sight. 😆

Picked the last of the first patch of corn yesterday. The cobs on the second patch aren’t looking too crash hot though. I hope they fatten up a bit. :shrug:

:hug:

Bobbee

36 degrees forecast for today and I am so over it. The dry, dead grass under foot crunches and crackles when you walk over it. The gardens are so dry and the trees are looking dreadfully stressed. 🙁

The air con will be switched on in a little while and I will cheer up a bit and get on with turning tomatoes into something yummo. I have found that some relish and chutney recipes taste so good and if I whizz the mixture I can then label it tomato sauce. :tup:

So that might happen today. 🙂

Bobbee

Hey folks this thread is starting to look like The Bobbee Thread. I didn’t mean it to be like that at all.

I know I like to talk rather a lot and I do a lot of that on this thread BUT I kinda hoped that people would join in and talk about anything ‘gardening’.

So please feel free to chat, bounce ideas around, ask questions, share information and all that kind of stuff. It gets a bit lonely on here on my lonesome, thanks Bel for keeping me company you’re a sweetie.

Hummer
    Keymaster

Bobbee post=353974 wrote: Hey folks this thread is starting to look like The Bobbee Thread. I didn’t mean it to be like that at all.

I know I like to talk rather a lot and I do a lot of that on this thread BUT I kinda hoped that people would join in and talk about anything ‘gardening’.

[/color]

Maybe you’re the most talkative member ALS has ever seen!!

hehehehe….

:whistle: 😆 :whistle:

lavman

hehehehe….

I think BlueWren would give her a run for her money :laugh: 😛 I’m only joking, I enjoy following all comments on here, just don’t always have anything to add, but I understand what you’re saying like a one way conversation, maybe we can give you the old :tup: every now and then. :whistle:

Thisildo
    Participant

I would love to talk about my garden Bobbee if it wasn’t dead!

We went to WA in August and returned home the last week in October to find a veg garden full of waist high weeds with seeds which were all covered in snails.

We hastily weeded one bed and bought a mixed punnet of heritage tomato seedlings which have just started to ripen.

By the time we had cleaned out the weeds and snails it was to hot for seedlings.

We have good water storage which has been used to keep the strawberries and other tubs with a blueberry, fig tree,bay tree and my herb collection alive.

A bit of a sad garden year at our house but we did have a fabulous holiday. :woohoo:

Bobbee

Glad you had a great holiday Thisildo, and there is always next season for the garden. :tup:

How clever you are to grow in containers, fruit trees too, wow! :clap:

I must admit I am a bit dicy with containers, it’s not the containers or the plants that are at fault but it’s me. I have a tendency to underwater and they die, or I overwater and they die or get very, very sick and neglected looking. Poor things. :ohmy:

Bobbee

Humbug post=353977 wrote:

Hey folks this thread is starting to look like The Bobbee Thread. I didn’t mean it to be like that at all.

[/color]

hehehehe….

:whistle: 😆 :whistle:

Hey Hummers you’re getting a bit cheeky there, honest I guess, but cheeky all the same. :laugh: :laugh:

Mind you I reckon Tully could run me a good race. :tup:

Bobbee

lavman post=353984 wrote:

hehehehe….

I think BlueWren would give her a run for her money :laugh: 😛 I’m only joking, I enjoy following all comments on here, just don’t always have anything to add, but I understand what you’re saying like a one way conversation, maybe we can give you the old :tup: every now and then. :whistle:

I’d be delighted to get a :tup: every now and again lavman. Feel free. 😆

🙂

PS: Yes BlueWren writes a great thread and posts and she finds interesting stuff to post about. Handy lass to have on a forum is BlueWren. :hug:

porgey

Alright Bobbsa, I will post something that is hopefully informative & useful for you and all and puts a smile on your dial. 🙂

Last winter someone wrote that they were hating the cold and I replied wait 6 months and you will be dreaming of a cold winters day. Well the last week has been a bastard heat wise – I HATE IT. The veg droop, the trees droop and I certainly droop. I get grumpy, have a short fuse and basically the whole world can go heave ho and leave me to my temporary thermo-psychosis. Even the usually long, straight and skinny Tromboncino Zucchini curled up into a rather fat blob because of the heat.

And to make matters worse even my beloved pooch irritates me as he pants slovenly and prostrate in the relative cool of the laundry as I try and avoid his slowly wagging tail as I day dream of been a Sea Shepherd volunteer hoiking throat oysters at the whalers in sub zero temperatures. Then seemingly out of nowhere came the first rattle of thunder, a spark of lightning followed by rain glorious rain. What a peach the rain gods are with all that lovely moisture, negative ions and plant stimulating charged atmospheric nitrogen. Poochie was a bit startled at first but I was cocka hoop as the fuse of a 7 day heat wave was extinguished, just before I exploded, as I sat luxuriously on the deck hoping that it would never stop. That was about 20 hours ago and its been lovely and cool ever since.

Like me the veg have taken a bit of a battering from the heat but most things survived okay and are responding well to the change. No doubt the pumpkins will get a bit of powdery mildew but hopefully the yellow and black ladybirds will flourish and eat it all off, otherwise the milk solution will get a spray.

All in all the veg garden is suffering from badly impoverished soil so I will be creating a “verandah veg” potted garden for the next 6 months or so whilst I concentrate on building up the soil for a next summer bonanza. I did this with the tomato beds last autumn/winter/spring and it paid real dividends as the tommies have been really productive this season. My method consisted of getting a bucket for each spot a tomato was to be planted and filling it with all sorts of goodies; pea straw, manure, weeds, comfrey, rotting veg, anything organic and cramming it full to overflowing. After soaking it for a week in water I upended the bucket(s) on the planned spots and let the worms do there trick. Mid spring I removed the buckets and added more manure and compost and planted tomato seedlings into the worm enriched composty soil with great success. The following photo is the first four of six buckets and the second photo is another bed prepared a similar way but Open-Style (NOT Gangnam Style, thats worse than the heat).

A while back Hummers kindly sent me some bean seeds and the little black ones with purpley flowers have grown great guns but are slow in setting, any tips?

Bobbee

I love that information re the tomato beds porgey, thank you heaps for that, I will pass it on to Mr Bobbs. Are you re-planting tomatoes in the same beds using that process?

I also dislike intensely the heat we have been suffering through. We also have had thunder, lightning and rain, but now the rain has stopped we have humidity. Ugh…

But at least I don’t have to water the gardens for today and maybe even tomorrow.

Re the beans, I will enquire of Mr Bobbs and see what he comes up with, but as I recall the little black beans turn their little selves into butter beans, which will climb if stressed or unhappy at all, but are actually bush butter beans. They fruit profusely, for us that is 😛 ,and for the entire growing season ie early summer to autumn.

Trouble is the seasons, I reckon, are having recognition problems which leads to the veg also having recognition problems, maybe your beans need a very loving talk from you and then you can leave the scarifier or hoe or slasher leaning on the fence near them, as incentive you ken!

That is, fruit you rotten little sods……..or………die!!!

Just spoke to the boy, and he,Mr Bobbs, agrees that they sound like the butter beans.

Did you plant them in spring porgey? It sounds quite mad that they are not fruiting yet. Maybe we, or you at least, are going to get a long hot autumn, called an Indian Summer I seem to recall.

Thanks for the pics and info, great fun and interesting. :clap:

Bobbee

PS: Yep, put a smile on my dial, many thanks. Shocked me too but p’raps I’m a bit of a wowser.

Bel

Glad to have kept you company for a little while Bobbee :hug: It’s lovely that others are joining in now too.

I like your tomato tips too Porgey :tup: I’m having a decent year tomato-wise here too. Just did up another 6 Fowlers jars of diced tomatoes which makes about 14 so far. And we’ve used tons so far just in cooking, like spaghetti sauce, lasagne, chilli con carne etc. Love home grown tomatoes! Also still picking lots of zucchinis, squash and just started picking cucumbers.

porgey

Glad you both like the tomato preparation trick it just dawned on me as I was cleaning up the garden last autumn. It needs a bit of refining but one point is to line the bottom of the bucket with a clod of mulch or straw so when you take the upturned bucket off before planting everything comes out fairly neatly and nothing is lost. I have had no wilts at all over the years so over autumn I will be planting marigolds where the tomatoes are, before & during the bucket trick, and will include whole bush marigolds in the buckets as well.

Bobbs, the beans are certainly not bush beans as they have climbed beautifully up my shed wall and into my shed!;

Facing WNW.

Growing inside.

The first beans I noticed this morning, ye ha.

They have grown like the clappers so I do hope they pod up well. It is a most decorative bean so I hope I cant collect quite a few thanks to you, Mr Bobbs & Hummers. 🙂

Bobbee

Oh boy that looks healthy porgey. I hope it’s not Poor Man’s Bean which I think has a flat widish sort of pod and you will know very quickly once it starts to pod. Some folk like them but I don’t think they have much taste at all.

I am sure it’s not the Italian Climbing Bean because I still have a few of those in a jar with a label and they are WHITE ones…ooops!!!! Hmmmm……surely I would have known if I gave Hummers some of those………….. :blush:

:laugh: :laugh: Well of course if it is the Italian Bean, a butter bean also, and prolific fruiter, make sure you keep heaps because it came from a little, old Italian lady (hence the name given to it by me) who was worried that the bean would be ‘lost’ as she was unable to keep up the veg garden because of her age.

The lady passed a jar of the beans to one of my sisters-in-law who kindly shared with me.

And if it is the Italian Bean then of course you do understand that Hummers has obviously labelled it incorrectly when she sent it to you…….and it has NOTHING at all to do with anything I did or did not do, say or think or enifink… rofl… :laugh:

Terrific idea about the straw in bottom of bucket, :tup: Keep on thinking up these good ideas and sharing them matey, very kind and very helpful. :clap:

I grow calendulas with my tomatoes and basil. Don’t know what it does but they all seem to like each other.

I’m thinking of trying growing green manure in the summer beds this winter, I’ve never done it before but it appears to be very beneficial.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 715 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.