Aussies Living Simply

Do I dig them out now?!

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Do I dig them out now?!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    zippyzippy

I have a patch of spuds and their tops have all finished dying off.

Do I dig now?

Can I leave some there?

Do I still water them?

I pinched one out yesterday and it barely fit into my hand it was huge!… well big anyway.:D

WombatWombat

I would dig them Suzi!

Nev

zippyzippy

One more question… do I need to let them dry out a bit in the sun before storing?? For some reason I have this notion in my head that I need to do that. ..:confused:

WombatWombat

I think that’s onions, Suzi, or chitting before you plant seed potatoes. Exposing eatin’ potatoes to the sun will only green them up and make the poisonous!

Nev

BronBron

a friend said when he was a kid, his dad would leave the potatoes in the soil for ages, till needed :shrug:

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

I believe that you should leave the spuds on the surface long enough so that any soil adhering to them dries – otherwise they risk mould.

I have a feeling that this cropped up somewhere before and was expertly answered by one of our resident fonts of knowledge. Try a search.

zippyzippy

Thanks guys. I’ll dig em up and then make sure they’re dry before storing.

dustygrl70dustygrl70

Suzi, I dry mine in a cardboard box in the shade for a few days after digging – then move into the pantry in the dark. And as everyone else said, it’s time to dig them – if the soil was cold and dry you could leave them in, but warm and damp will make them shoot again.

zippyzippy

7 whopping kilos out of my tiny patch

sallisalli

Fantastic!

WombatWombat

:clap::clap::clap::clap:Well done Suzi!

porgeyporgey

Suzip, I harvested mine about 3 weeks ago, some where big others not so big. I washed them all in a bucket of water let them dry a bit then left them to really dry in the shade on the verandah for 24 hours then boxed them up and stored them in a dark draw. Eat a couple every week and are delicious. Happy harvesting. Cheers GR.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.