Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Dirty Pants.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    janinecjaninec

Hi All, Last week I bought home two new girls to add to my original flock of two. I noticed in the afternoon when I bought them home they had dirty pants, but I checked hen I picked them up and they were clean so I thought it must have been nerves from the trip home. It cleared up and now a week later my Isas seem to have dirty pants too. I am planning on making them some pollard tomorrow with some slippery elm along with dolomite, sulphur and seaweed. I hope this clears it up. They are in a pen in the morning, fed on household scraps and pellets, and they free range in the afternoon. We are on a large quarter acre block and the grass is very green and lush at the moment so I wonder if this is contributing.

Thanks,

Janine

IdunaIduna

I find with my girls it not worms, it’s how wet and how much water they consume when eating things like greens like rain and dew on grass.

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

It could be the change in feed for the new ones as a change in feed can cause that. It may also be that the grass is now lush and green at the moment as you suggested.

It could also be worms, when the parasite load is too high chickens tend to get dirty. That would explain why your existing hens are now getting dirty. Do you know when the new chickens were last wormed? Do you worm your flock? If so it could be time to do them again as the new chickens possibly introduced new parasites.

Regardless, I hope that they clear up for you soon.

janinecjaninec

Thanks Guys, Im hoping it is the grass, it is very wet and cold here at the moment. The woman I bought the chickens from said she had wormed them recently, I do worm my girls once a month and keep garlic in their water for good measure. I will do them all again just to be on the safe side. They have all just started to lay so I don’t want their systems to be stressed.

Cheers,

Janine

BelBel

stevo post=357757 wrote: Hi Janine, just out of interest, what breed are the chooks?

and what stuff do people use for worming? Is there a special thing t get or will any kind of worming thingy do the job?

stevo – you can buy a commercial worming agent from any fodder store. This will kill any worms/eggs if your chickens have them.

Many people also use a preventative/herbal remedy for chickens, by adding some apple cider vinegar and some garlic clove/s to their water, especially around full moon. I’m a bit sketchy with this method, but I just tend to add a few garlic cloves and a splash of ACV to their water every month or two when I seem to remember. I’m sure someone will have a more scientific method to suggest.

janinecjaninec

Hi Stevo,

My new girls as Austrolorps. It will be interesting to compare with the Isas how they do with egg laying. I use Allanna Moore’s recipe from Backyard Poultry Naturally. It is as much as a tonic as a wormer and I find it to be effective. ~

Two thirds of bran or pollard per bird

1 level tsp of sulpher per two birds

1 tbsp of molasses per two birds

1 clove of garlic per bird

1 tsp of seaweed meal per five birds

1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar per five birds

1 tsp dolomite per bird.

Its a bit expensive to buy the ingredients initially but they last many months and are worth it. Your chooks will thank you :0)

BelBel

I’ve got a couple of blue australorps in my flock Janine and they’re lovely birds. They’re laying nicely at the moment when not many of the others are!

BelBel

Stevo – I believe some people even have a little nip of ACV daily to help with cleansing or something like that! :blink:

BelBel

stevo post=357781 wrote: people??? ewww imagine the kiss breath, that stuff stinks!

Yep!

http://www.naturalnews.com/026910_apple_vinegar_cider.html

janinecjaninec

Oh I hate the taste of it yuck! Oh that is interesting, happy news regarding the Austrolorps. I bought them because they were a good dual purpose bird, but early layers is great! I have been having poached eggs on toast for the last fortnight :0)

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

In a back yard flock, particularly one that is free ranged, australorps tend to out perform isa browns. If it is at all possible I would try to keep records to compare them over a year as it would be interesting.

We have Plymouth Rocks because my wife thought they were prettier than australorps, and they are meant to be almost as productive. On average we get about 230 eggs per hen per year which is not too bad considering that they forage for the majority of their feed. I assume if we had australorps the number of eggs would be higher.

janinecjaninec

That is very interesting Mukluk. Im not sure about how to go comparing one hen against another. Any suggestions? You know I’ve kept hens for 9 years and never even thought to keep records, but it makes sense now, Im trying to make my backyard as productive as possible and keeping records is one way to do this. Your ideas and thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers,

Janine

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

Janinec I keep records of eggs, but they are usually averages. The only way I have ever managed to compare individual birds is when they lay a different looking egg or if they were housed in a different yard.

I had one amazing hen who layed 20 eggs each 21 days for two years straight. Her eggs had thin shells and odd lumps on them so were easy to tell apart. Half of my flock is currently descended from her in one way or another.

Hopefully the australorps and the isa brown eggs look slightly different so you can tell them apart.

janinecjaninec

Thanks Mukluk, come to think of it one of my Isas lays eggs with freckle like lumps on it too. oK I will do my best 🙂

BronBron

In the 8 years I’ve had chooks, I’ve seen 2 worms all up (over many, many chooks). I don’t give them anything to prevent the worms. I’ve also seen a few dirty bottoms but they sort themselves out pretty quickly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.