Aussies Living Simply

DIABETES TYPE 2

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 338 total)
  • Author
    Snags

Mediterranean diet is getting a good rap in the press today especially for T2 Dbts

A glass of wine and relax seems to be just what the doctor ordered

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/diet-and-fitness/its-best-to-eat-in-mederation-20130223-2exyb.html#ixzz2Ly8Xa1Z9

Ajala and her colleagues reviewed the results of 20 studies comparing the effect of seven popular diets on adults with type 2 diabetes.

Mediterranean diets, low-carb diets, high-protein diets and low glycemic index diets – which rank foods by how quickly their carbs turn into glucose – all lowered participants’ blood sugar.

After following the diet for at least six months, the people on a Mediterranean eating plan also lost an average of 4 pounds.

No other diet had a significant impact on weight, according to the findings published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

“We were quite surprised by the Mediterranean diet in particular,” Ajala said. “I would have thought that low-carb would have been the best for losing weight, but Mediterranean seems to be better.”

A Mediterranean-style diet emphasizes fruits, vegetables and legumes, whole grains, fish, and using olive oil and herbs in place of butter and salt. Saturated fats from red meat and dairy products are typically less than eight percent of total calories consumed.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/50719484/ns/health-diabetes/

Well done on the weight loss Bobee………… keep up the great work

Bobbee

Thanks for the link Snags. :tup:

The Mediterranean Diet sounds pretty much like common sense to me but of course it’s horses for courses, like all things in life. 🙂

🙂

Bobbee

lavman post=353982 wrote: Yep good on ya Bobbee, :clap: I agree with Humbug, I know how hard it is to loose weight, it’s just as hard as giving up smoking, in my opinion.

I forgot to comment on this, I was kinda otherwise occupied 😛 , I agree with you lavman, about losing weight being as hard as it is to give up smoking. I reckon some of us are addicted to food, I am anyway.

I have a good friend who is trying to give up smoking and she felt really bad because she had another cigarette, I tried to explain to her to be kind to herself, ok she had fallen off the wagon, so what, now it’s time to give up smoking again.

Gosh I fall off the wagon awfully often, but I keep on hopping back on it again, and so far so good! :tup:

🙂

Anonymous

yeh anyone who can lose it is doing well, no matter how much or little.

the jury as far as i am concerned is still out on what weight might do in the T2 DB issues, i lost weight early on (only ever in my life been up to 20% overweight, this time under 10%), i reduced medications all sorts of thing low single figures 2 hours after breakfast never ever did fasting, then for no reason it starting going haywire teh T2 that is no medications would work, they wacked me on insulin then wight gain cam they pumped more and more insulin in and never made any difference well only added weight.

so for me to lose 3 or 4 kilo’s is a big ask, the reason i cut out some insulin my fgures aren’t good but they can’t do anything for me but blame my weight so lately i drizzeled down from around 110 to 103, all the doc could say was well youve gone from morbidly obese to obese???

the weight loss made not an ounce of difference to the T2, even all the energy expended outside, within the parameters of CFS, i see less of the flabby estrogen/insulin fat below my belly but then turning fat into muscle adds weight.

for me on insulin weight loss is not easy, 30 years agao i gave up smoking cold turky, 10 years agao gave up alcohol(at that time my sugar levels were good and no insulin)cold turky(no AA)

anyhow that is but a brief of what i have written here from the early days of the thread.

bench marks stink and they don’t deliver. and the medical fraternity loves having something to blame other than work out a fix. they don’t know or want to know how teh effects of out of balance hormones affects how the body functions, they maybe able to help women but there is no help for men.

anyhow that’s a brief of my story believe it or not

len

Thisildo
    Participant

Len maybe you didn’t have the same success reducing you blood glucose with weight loss because you didn’t have a lot of weight to lose.

That’s the hard part of controlling T2 diabetes,we’re all different and we have to find what works for us.

I have worked out for myself that a Low Carb diet (below 20-30 grams a day) and at least 1/2 to 1 hours walking exercise a day lowers my readings enough to cut out the insulin. :cheer:

Like most other people with diabetes I’m always interested to read what works for others.

How is the bitter melon working?

Anonymous

g’day thisildo,

that’s right we are all different in no matter what medical conditions we are being treated for, but sadly our medico’s want to hide behind bench marks, which like treatments might work 50% of the time for 50% of the patients, and the science is not interested in fine tuning. the big push on media is around weight, but they ahve no real idea.

the bitter melon like all natural things may have lost it strength as most natural things can lose effectiveness i still take them just in case they are helping, but i do know that medic’s can’t help in this scenerio.

i cut out carb’s a long time ago, would hate to imagine my issues had i not. but there again patients need to be proactive and try things, when i have suggested that people try by cutting out even bread you would swear i had told them to stop taking medicines. but no good trying things unless one monitors one’s self.

anyone who loses weight is doing great if they lose it as a T2 and it helps magnificent, but lets not encourage the doc’s into believing that weight is the be all and end all of T2 we need more research ahead of profits. GP’s need to get more holistic or aware of natural help not closed minded like they are.

was going to try geoderma(mushroom) but it interferes with warfrin.

still it is my hormone total imbalance playing a big role i reckon, doc’s don’t deal in hormone imbalance teh bench mark is so long as all hormones are in the body that need to be those that don’t need to be they don’t care about.

eg.,. testosterone i think normal levels are up around 140(dunno what that represents the 140?), so how can they set a bench mark of 8?? if the fuel tank on your car carries 140l and you go on a trip 8l won’t get you far hey? so i have estrogen weight on board as well, and no progesterone to keep the estrogen in balance like the ladies have. tried a cream from a doc near sunshine coast it worked a bit but a bit was better than nuthing, only thing too expesnive.

my metobolism is almost none existence cause CFS, nothing medicine can do about it. eat hot chilly dishes or curry dishes i suppose bt not every meal or every day.

my next best remedy is next season when e can grow our own bitter melon.

anyhow take care

len

Snags

Yet another article on the Mediterranean diet backed by medical research on the effects of olive oil and nuts in battling Diabetes and Heart disease

The research involved 7477 high-risk volunteers, all of whom were diabetic or had a host of risk factors including obesity, high cholesterol, family history of heart disease or smoking

….according to the study in the New England Journal of Medicine.

The findings add more weight to the benefits of a Mediterranean diet rich in fruits, vegetables, fish and oils, the researchers said.

While numerous studies show healthy eating can cut complications in people who have heart disease and help ward off ailments including Alzheimer’s disease and diabetes, the study is the first to show a diet can prevent deadly heart disease from developing.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/study-boosts-olive-oil-nut-diet-20130226-2f47w.html#ixzz2M2qvuSxz

Anonymous

we use aussie made extra virgin olive oil, need care with all nuts they can add weight, so don’t eat them often, as if weight goes on as others would appreciate it is very hard to remove it, don’t drink wine. must admit when i did my sugar levels were better at more olives then until i read that they are processed using caustic soda.

for future going to buy a couple olive trees soon need teh types where fruit ripens and can be eaten without processing.

len

Bobbee

Thisildo post=354029 wrote: ……….That’s the hard part of controlling T2 diabetes,we’re all different and we have to find what works for us.

I have worked out for myself that a Low Carb diet (below 20-30 grams a day) and at least 1/2 to 1 hours walking exercise a day lowers my readings enough to cut out the insulin. :cheer:

Like most other people with diabetes I’m always interested to read what works for others.

How is the bitter melon working?

Thisilda I try sticking to the walking as exercise too, amazing the difference it makes to my fitness and bg levels. Helps with my moods too. 🙂

I have tried the bitter melon, it’s difficult to work out just how much effect it has because like most of us I am doing other stuff as well for all areas of my health. 😉

I have had the tablets but really enjoy the dried bitter melon as a tea. :tup:

From what I have read it seems to be considered good practice to take some of these supplement type things for maybe 6 months or so and then have a few months without them. I guess that can also help to try to understand if there have been any benefits or not. :shrug:

I agree with you that reading about what helps others is both interesting and helpful. :clap: And you are so right that we are all different and need to find what works for us. Commonsence really I suppose. 🙂

Bobbee

Snags post=354034 wrote: Yet another article on the Mediterranean diet backed by medical research on the effects of olive oil and nuts in battling Diabetes and Heart disease

The research involved 7477 high-risk volunteers, all of whom were diabetic or had a host of risk factors including obesity, high cholesterol, family history of heart disease or smoking

….according to the study in the New England Journal of Medicine.

The findings add more weight to the benefits of a Mediterranean diet rich in fruits, vegetables, fish and oils, the researchers said.

While numerous studies show healthy eating can cut complications in people who have heart disease and help ward off ailments including Alzheimer’s disease and diabetes, the study is the first to show a diet can prevent deadly heart disease from developing.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/national/study-boosts-olive-oil-nut-diet-20130226-2f47w.html#ixzz2M2qvuSxz

Thanks Snags for the info and link. :tup:

Diabetes 2 is so prevalent these days that a great deal of time, money and expertise is going into trying to find a way to prevent it from starting to begin with and also of course into finding ways to treat it. :clap:

The information available on the benefits of coconut oil are most interesting also. I believe there is already a link on the thread re that so I won’t post it again, don’t want to do to much repetition. 🙂

Snags

gardenlen post=354035 wrote: we use aussie made extra virgin olive oil, need care with all nuts they can add weight, so don’t eat them often, as if weight goes on as others would appreciate it is very hard to remove it

Good fats V bad fats is the key of the Mediterranean diet saturated fats in sausages and mince are the real problem not nuts

len wrote:

don’t drink wine. must admit when i did my sugar levels were better

Religious reasons?

at more olives then until i read that they are processed using caustic soda.

not all

Len wrote:

for future going to buy a couple olive trees soon need teh types where fruit ripens and can be eaten without processing.

len

good luck with that

Anonymous

there ya go snags a bit holier than though, leave my diet alone please, you cannot help with that one.

many reasons for not drinking alcohol, don’t go there my private life

the olves that are processed without caustic soda are far and few between as you would realise, and they are over the top for price.

yep we’ll research types of olives if none suit we will grow something else.

thanks anyway

len

Snags

Fair point if you want to keep your private life private I was just asking according to your post that suggested your T2 was better previously.

….the article referred to olive oil consumption not olives in particular (that was your addition)

but if the Mediterranean diet does include lots of olives that may be preserved using caustic soda the figures show no ill effect….in fact the opposite.

They did mention more nuts and less saturated fats thats why I mentioned it.

I thought this was a thread about T2 diabetes and diet is an important part of controlling it.

Anonymous

so you don’t feel you need to go on about it, eating olives cured in caustic soda means you are eating the residuals rom teh CS, and as for there being no ill effects, they simply wouldn’t know as they would not have human trialled it, so there is no parameters just like the residuals from chem’ agriculture and GMO’s, no parameters.

i have stated in the past i stuck to a diet regime, right to the letter for years it did nothing to help weight loss nor did it prevent or then control T2.

len

Airgead

Len… I think you may find that people have been processing olives with caustic since pre-roman times. They used to use wood ash.

The alternatives for olive processing are fermentation, caustic or brine. All three have been used for thousands of years. I suspect that give their history, all methods are quite safe. Though people with blood pressure issues may want to steer clear of the brine.

How about we get this back onto the topic – T2 Diabetes, not a discussion on the merits of olive processing.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 338 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.