Aussies Living Simply

Daylight Savings coming soon to a state near you

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Daylight Savings coming soon to a state near you

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    karyn26

After reading some peoples responses to daylight savings I thought I’d start this off and find out what everyone thinks about it -keep it nice-

I personally cant stand daylight savings

I dont want to lose an hour of sleep and I really miss that hour.

I work nights so I’m missing out on any benefits it might have except when I’m off work.

The days are hot enough without adding in extra daylight.

I’m with the states who didnt want it, too bad they haven’t asked the rest of us again what we’d like.

Hummer
    Keymaster

I LOVE daylight savings and look forward to it every year :tup:

karyn26

Bah Humbug:lol:

busylizzie
    Participant

Bring it on, I love the extra time to spend outside after tea, this is a time usually when the weather is cooler and the whole family can spend time together outside picking the Fruit and Veg that are ready, or just playing with the kids in the garden. :metal:

Andre
    Keymaster

Hey karyn26 .. I was about to do the same thing! (start this thread I mean) .. great minds think alike …

I have to say, I do like daylight-savings. Just seems to allow more useful out-door time. (I just need to remember to go to bed at the normal time … ) Mind you, I guess depending on your location, there will be less, or more, benefit for some.

MileyMoon

All I can say is thank God I am a Queenslander :clap:

If they ever bring it in up here I plan to ignore it anyway :tup:

Andre
    Keymaster

MileyMoon wrote:

All I can say is thank God I am a Queenslander :clap:

If they ever bring it in up here I plan to ignore it anyway :tup:

I didn’t know you could do that … 😆 unless you were self-employed…..

weaver

I love daylight saving. Those long evenings in the garden when it is cooling down -heaven! I work full time and find that I get so much more done and am so much more motivated after work when it is light. Sorry about that Karyn26 😆

becca

Ha, not for us either! We voted it out (AGAIN :uhoh: for the fourth time) a couple of years ago and I’m delighted. We don’t need the extra heat at the end of the day when we’re trying to get the children fed and to bed. It’s especially annoying by the end of summer, where the afternoons seem warmer.

Greth

I hate it. I love sunshine in the mornings, and some time before work and school to get stuff done. Just when we have had half an hour of sunshine in the mornings, they have banned it so we get up in the dark again. The stupid coffee club fools who have nothing to do before morning tea anyway

we have to conform with the Eastern States, that’s their excuse for rising late.I dont need to live on Eastern State time, I live here, and the sun gets up when it does, quite early in summer..

Hummer
    Keymaster

The stupid coffee club fools who have nothing to do before morning tea anyway

we have to conform with the Eastern States, that’s their excuse for rising late.

:jawdrop:

Why are they stupid.. is it because they don’t live the same type of existence as you Greth ?

grumpy3

Why would I be interested in the devices of man kind, God set the time and days not man. Therefore I know who I will follow.

Wazza

I come from Queensland and we’ve voted it out twice. The premier is so keen to have it that she recently proposed splitting the state into two time zones, because Brisbane and the Gold Coast want it and the rest of us don’t. That proposal was firmly rejected with opinion polls being 80% against. So, its back to the staus quo, for now. For those of us that live on the land and live off it, it doesn’t make any darn difference. Most of us are out and about as soon as it’s light enough to see and I don’t wear a watch. I come in when I’m tired and eat when I feel hungry. What’s the big deal about time? Unless I have to go to town for an appointment, I don’t need to know what the time is. If city folk want an hour more for recreation or whatever, why don’t they simply get out of bed an hour earlier?

narelleh

Weaver said – Those long evenings in the garden when it is cooling down -heaven!

It stays hot till the sun goes down here! We are still outside working till nearly 730 or 8pm in summer – we barely get the kids fed and to bed at a decent hr as it is!

When i worked on Hayman Island we did ‘Island time’ whch was daylight saving times for Hamilton Island International Airport to fit with the Southern major airports. I recall that I could watch the sunset about 8.30pm in summers (over the sea too – a rare site for us Eastern coast people!)

If businesses wish to be in line with other states they can easily change their business hrs to suit for the summer period can’t they????:shrug:

If it wasn’t for kids schooling and society setting ‘time’ it would make no dif to me cos I work by the temp and light outside.

Andre
    Keymaster

It seems obvious that given Australia’s variations in climatic zones, and also considering the length of the country – 3 timezones already (regardless of whose god decreed it) – daylight saving isn’t for everyone.

Having said that though, I think it impolite to start ridiculing one person’s lifestyle over another simply because business/government decree what is to be.

Some of us WANT to work on the land whilst others can’t, and vice versa.

Easy to say get up earlier, but for some people, it is already pitch dark/bitterly cold. Just as easy to say move. Unfortunately, it is just not possible for some people/families.

… wish I had a coffee club to go to 🙁

and please don’t take anything I said personally or offensively. Seems that an innocuous question has stuck some nerves.

:hug::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::hug:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.