Aussies Living Simply

Cut price groceries/shopping

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Living within your means Cut price groceries/shopping

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca80Rebecca80

The best $ saving tip I’ve ever been given is to shop as infrequently as possbile in the supermarkets. Apparently the average person buys 3-4 things extra per visit to what they planned so if you go twice a week thats an extra 6-8 things! This really adds up. I grocery shop once a month (at a bulk foods wholesaler) buy meat by the quarter (currently $5 per kg approx) and go to the fruit shop/bakery/milk 3-4 times weekly (I walk up – can’t buy too much if you have to carry it home).

A special doesn’t save you money if you wouldn’t have bought the product at full price!

I also think that junk mail costs you money. If people saved money by reading junk mail then the supermarkets wouldn’t put it in our letterbox. It is good advertising because it sells products and makes them money.

A tip to avoid impulse purchases that I use is to have a list. If I see a product that I want which isn’t on the list (ie a good special) I write it down. If I still want it the next day I walk back for it and carry it home. Needless to say I rarely go back and it is suprising what doesn’t seem like such a good buy away from the supermarket maze.

I also only shop at the department store at end of season (ie 2-3 times a year) I buy kids clothes/shoes etc for the next year when they are marked down. I never buy in season (except from the op shop).

Just my thoughts…

Rebecca

Rebecca80 wrote:

I also think that junk mail costs you money. If people saved money by reading junk mail then the supermarkets wouldn’t put it in our letterbox. It is good advertising because it sells products and makes them money.

I think they want you to read the specials for 3 reasons

a; it will get you in their door which will give them market share

b;mrs. average will buy a few of the specials and a lot that isn’t on special

c; and the most important, the products are usually sponsored by the wholesaler/distributor. Have you ever noticed with the big name brands(coke and cadburys and nestle etc) that the specials alternate between the big two players almost if not every week.

Michelle-smMichelle-sm

Have you ever noticed with the big name brands(coke and cadburys and nestle etc) that the specials alternate between the big two players almost if not every week

I think most specials run in 4 week cycles. If you buy enough on sale for a month, by the time you run out it will be on special again:tup:

I agree Rebecca80, junk mail does tend to make me buy more. For a while I used to buy stuff that I wouldn’t normally use just because it was a super bargain. Pretty dumb I know.:shy: Thank goodness I got a bit smarter.:lol:

Like Reid said it does get me into the shop where without doubt I will spend more than I intended.:confused:

I think it’s time I put a no junk mail sticker on my letterbox.:noapprove:

SugarsnapSugarsnap

I agree Rebecca, the amount of times I’ve “only gone in for a few things” and walked out having inexplicably spent $70 :awch:

One thing (among many) I do stock up on is hair dye, you can get some good specials pretty regularly at chemists or supermarkets

Number 4Number 4

LOL, Sugarsnap, I remember years ago spending a ridiculous amount of money several days each week at the grocery, and it was just me and DS,and he was only two years old!

Now with two children and another on the way, I stick strictly to my list and try to get out of the store as quickly as I can! I HATE shopping, even for groceries, b/c I am trying to get out of there and get home so I can spend time with my boys.

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

BYW does anyone know where you can get a sticker that says ‘no junk mail’ for your letterbox? I would really like one. I don’t read the stuff, just walk to the bin and chuck it straight in. The whole idea of junk mail is to convince you that you need something -when in fact you don’t.

wocketwocket

I agree about junk mail..but find it very useful…as chook bedding! The girls dig it around their yard for a bit and it eventually breaks down into lovely friable dirt 9along with all their food scraps) . Put into compost, the worms have a go at it then on to the garden.

I used to loathe junk mail, now i love it. not sure what all those words and pictures are about though. 😆

jaymesjaymes

we live in an area that is too far for the junk mail deliverers to be bothered with :tup:

EMW, you should be able to get one of those signs from a hardware shop, near the letterboxes and such

HerbmanHerbman

The best thing we’ve done is the ‘no junk mail’ label. We don’t get any, which is excellent.

Osakasuz recommended OnlyOz.com.au. We tied it a couple weeks ago and were happy with the service. Tonight we’ve placed an order for 4 weeks shopping. It was a bit more than usual because having only lived here a couple months our pantry is still pretty empty. But the site is excellent and we were able to limit our treats to one thing a week.

Actually – living 10km from the shops has had a huge impact on our grocery budget because there’s no more “ooh, I feel like chocolate” beause it’s 20km return (including a stretch down a dirt road).

ErthgirlErthgirl

EMW you can get them from Environment House in Maylands. They have a nice polite one… that says “No advertising material please”

I like the ones that say ‘please’ 😀

marzmarz

Herbman wrote:

Actually – living 10km from the shops has had a huge impact on our grocery budget because there’s no more “ooh, I feel like chocolate” beause it’s 20km return (including a stretch down a dirt road).

Wow, we have a 40km round trip for chokkie and 60km round trip to get ciggies (can only get a few (expensive) brands close by).And we live on a dirt road. Did my shopping today, all the pantry stuff should last at least a month if not longer, fresh fruit & veg that we don’t grow I’ll replenish as needed probably nearly a fortnight.

Since moving to the country from Bris it’s amazing the things you can go without when you’re not near the shops all the time and make a shopping list for when you do go. Of course, it’s a marketing ploy that when you pop in for one item you come out with 10 – happens to everyone :uhoh:

KasaliaKasalia

I currently am allowing $50.00 a head for grocery/meat / cleaning items for shopping. This includes 2 dogs as well. I shop fortnightly at the moment it used to be monthly but i can jiggle a bit better fortnightly.

I always allow for more than 14 meals as a back up. Cook all cakes and biscuits, preserve fruit on special in season. Keep tins of mushooms.tomatoes, pkt french onion soup, and freeze bacon for emergency visitor meals in stock.

Fortnight one allows for more meat and baking and fortnight two for cleaning and bathroom products.

I do have a vege garden but also buy frozen winter veg packs as well. Meals like Thai chick or beef stirfrys can support a lot of vegs and little meat so Oyster Sce, Soy Sce and fresh ginger a staple for me

I try and freeze a Takeaway container of leftovers which i mark and these build up for free meals.

I always check the freezer for planning meals for the following fortnight. My list will say eg. get 7 meat meals, so if something is on special I work around that and get vegs to match.

I organized my freezer so the same shelf holds the same thing and the door has shelves as well. I know i cant buy more than 4 loaves of bread as that is all the space i allowed. I freeze all meat in portions of two.Now and then i get a lamb pack with a leg in it for special occassions or visitors.

Current meals, Stir Frys, Chilli con carne, spaghetti bol, whole potatoes with tom/onion/bacon sce topped with sour cream & salads, crumbed fish & salad,chick ceasar salad, beef cassorole with the cheap stk as gravy beef too dear.Vege homemade soup (using up garden carrots)

Also try Tuna patties, or mornay, Tinned Salmon meals, chick leg hot pots and casseroles, lamb shank cassoroles. Meat curries with lots of veges.

If you have growing boys dumplings on gravy style casseroles were always a great hit with my 3.They also loved Whole boiled potatoes with different toppings , especially if i served them with sour cream and corn chips.

Liquid from tinned fruit makes a great tasting jelly using gelatine.

Anzacs are good for getting oats into you.

Freeze your own icypoles, and grapes (kids love them)

I make my own skim milk from powdered milk, its cost 50c litre.

Dont take hubby to shop with you.

I could go on but better stop getting too long a message, hopes this helps someone.

osakasuzosakasuz

Since we started shopping with OnlyOz and Santos, the supermarket has become my last resort. I like small markets, small butchers, etc. Much more friendly and helpful when it comes to cooking what is in season or on special. We set ourselves a challenge to have no supermarket shopping for 3 months (not no shopping, just no supermarkets). We saved time, energy and money in the long run and it became a great habit. Must be a bit like living far from the shops – if you have to order it or wait for the Sunday market, sometime you just do without and make do with what you have instead.

JaJeKaLiJaJeKaLi

I used to miss junk mail when we moved out of town, but have since discovered i can read them all online, then work out my shopping list/ meal plans around what different stores have on special, all without any paper going in the bin. 😉 Of course, sometimes i pick up lots of clearance stuff, so plans can change.

I did try a nearby towns markets, but it was all waaaaay overpriced crap/ junk, and the fruit and vege from ‘growers’ was just what people had bought at the markets and were reselling. 😐 Still trying to source a real farmers market, where i can actually talk to the grower about their methods and farm.

On a good note, have discovered a honey supplier that is within our local area and it tastes GOOD. Much better than supermarket honey, and cheaper!

kahaykahay

living in a small rural town I rarely visit woolies as they are 1/2 hour away we have a local IGA to buy from and because I’m a great customer they always give me freebies and some times discount.

I plan my meals and lunches for workers

always have fruit on hand

buy meat from butcher in next town ring ahead and order and get a great deal

grown heaps of winter ,summer vegies and freeze what I can

don’t buy milk much as my son works on a farm and his board is bring home fresh milk daily works out well for us

don’t shop on an empty tummie

always look higher or below the eye level shelf in the shop

size of meat per person needs to be as big as there palm and no bigger thats all one person needs

have cut the amount back that I cook so no waste

also on way to town veg bus on road I buy from has cheap and fresh supplies and it’s supporting a local

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.