Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Curious

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    CrunchyCrunchy

This has been bugging me for some time: if it all goes up, what will happen to those people who have elected to have myo power (wind, solar, whatever), when their batteries no longer charge and there are, of course, none available as civilisation will have ended?

Any ideas?

Anonymous

well yeh hey, it all stops, just like when those with grid connect have to suffer through a 7 hour blackout with no power just like those who have no solar grid connect, it all stops.

so sooner or later your batteries fail and it’s back to candles or kero lanterns maybe, may not be able to rely on gas either in that scenerio.

take care

len

SnagsSnags

Batteries will probably be the least of your worries if civilisation ended.

There would be no tv and no supermarkets to buy food to put in the fridge so you would just eat fresh local food and go to bed when the sun went down.

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

EdwinThomps post=351835 wrote: It would be totally a nightmare with nothing to see but stars and the moon at night.

Sounds like heaven to me. Living in the country is great for that reason, although there’s still a bit of light pollution from nearby towns, but you’d be surprised how much you can see by starlight! When there’s moonlight as well, you can see for miles.

Umm, there was civilisation before there was power….

SnagsSnags

Still is in lots of places

I would love to see the death of refrigeration, fresh local fish, meat,fruit and vegetables would be the only way to go,death to globalisation and imported crap ……sounds like paradise.

Andrew HobbsPardalote
    Participant

I think refrigeration will be around for a long, long time yet. Probably permanent. Remember that there was refrigeration in some places before electrical power. The old kerosine refrigerator comes to mind. And one doesn’t really even need kerosine, any sort of heating will do; so in future perhaps we will hear the call to put another log on the ‘refrigerator’ fire. 🙂

The old kerosine refrigerator was fairly crude, so with modern engineering knowledge I would expect it to become more efficient and to support lower temperatures; ie with reasonable sized freezers.

But even that may not be necessary. Most suburban solar or wind electricity generating systems are grid tied but they don’t need to be. I can forsee eutectic refrigerators becoming common in the not too distant future. That is, refrigerators designed to run and store ‘cold’ (as frozen salt solutions?) during the few hours each day when the sun shines or the wind blows. One doesn’t even need a battery then.

Mind you; whether those sort of systems could support global trade is another question entirely. (I doubt it.)

SnagsSnags

Most fishing boats have eutectic fridges,so do alot of meat trucks.

Eutectic containers and we can still be eating bassa and exporting the good stuff.

Only expensive oil,economic chaos and depleted species can stop this.

Aww Cmon. There’s a New Year just poking its nose over the horizon …. a new day to look forward to … sure there’s some troubles, but when has there not been. We have it SOOOO good, and we are smart and amazingly innovative.

If I can believe in you, your good intents, your positive contribution to life, and your energetic efforts to return to more sustainable ways, you can reciprocate. And if the herd does it – that means we all do it.

If the lights go out, the stars shine brighter. The future is dimmed more by our fears than anything else.

Today’s batteries will look like yesterday’s mobile phones, I mean the ones that were briefcase sized and of little use. 30 years ago what I am doing at this instant was unimaginable, who knew of the internet or iPad or monster computing power in our palm.

Our future will likely combine emerging technology and “regressing” to “horticulture” as a dominant form of food production and possibly of human habitation.

Today … I don’t need a battery to smile!

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Lady B post=351839 wrote:

It would be totally a nightmare with nothing to see but stars and the moon at night.

Sounds like heaven to me. Living in the country is great for that reason, although there’s still a bit of light pollution from nearby towns, but you’d be surprised how much you can see by starlight! When there’s moonlight as well, you can see for miles.

Soo true 238,857 miles/384,403 kms to the moon, in fact. But starlight … you can see for lightyears 😆

SnoopySnoopy

And on the original topic – lead acid batteries can go for 30 years I believe…. (I certainly hope to get a good run out of our’s!)

Happy New Year to all!

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Andre post=351869 wrote: But starlight … you can see for lightyears 😆

Some years ago we lived near an old chap (80s I think) who was great fun, but he wore ‘coke bottle’ glasses and he was complaining to Bob once about his failing eye sight. The moon was out and Bob said to him “look up. Can you see the moon?” Prof said “yes of course I can!” Bob said “well how far do you want to bloody see?” Was the source of much merriment. Ron passed away this year. 🙁 RIP Prof. You were a top bloke!

GKindredGKindred

This is where you need one of those old simple diesel engines that can be repaired infinitely.

All you need to do then is grow your own corn, burn hardwood and pass the smoke through water filters and you have methanol (or distill certain woods).

Mix the two and you have BioDiesel.

There is no need for Crude Oil.

With BioDiesel generators and things like BioLamps… We won’t lose power.

Now you also have Japan releasing free energy technologies like Saltwater + Carbon to power small handheld lamps… http://gizmodo.com/5940208/salt-water+powered-lamp-could-run-on-your-tears

It’s a brave new world… We can be independent in any which way we want.

You just have to imagine and do it.

SnagsSnags

The magnesium rod is only good for about 120 hours of electricity production, but replacements will be sold separately

sounds like it still needs a battery to me.

SnagsSnags

GKindred post=351933 wrote: This is where you need one of those old simple diesel engines that can be repaired infinitely.

All you need to do then is grow your own corn, burn hardwood and pass the smoke through water filters and you have methanol (or distill certain woods).

Mix the two and you have BioDiesel.

There is no need for Crude Oil.

With BioDiesel generators and things like BioLamps… We won’t lose power.

It’s a brave new world… We can be independent in any which way we want.

You just have to imagine and do it.

wood gas would be easier,more efficient and sustainable (provided you used agricultural waste or rapid growing trees)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas

you also get bio char

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.