Aussies Living Simply

CSIRO & Bayer in schools

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up CSIRO & Bayer in schools

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

We were recently asked to take part in a program for schools called CarbonKids, run by the CSIRO & Bayer. We’re homeschoolers so they were pretty keen to get our group on board & flattered us by saying they wanted to focus on what we would be working on & feature us on their newsletters, etc. Hmmmm. Bayer are in bed with Monsanto, CSIRO are in bed with Bayer. Where do these big corporations fit in schools? What’s their real agenda?

calliecat
    Participant
    Anonymous

g’day BV,

they are no doubt into indoctrinating children so these children can then swing parents over to what they want all to believe, an opportunity for NLP hypno’s as well maybe.

they know using kids this way works, they have done it with climate control fiasco, so now they are on a big push for GMO’s at least i would think as well as that only medico’s can heal by using chemical drugs.

they will have an agenda and by the time it becomes obvious it could be too late, and as for kissing up to home schoolers from my knowledge they don’t like home schoolers ad are working on ways to shut them down, now there’s an ulterior motive, especially now this year that all curriculum’s across australia are now supposed to be identical.

how’s the song go: “another brick in the wall”?

len

penny

As an educator of over 40 years experience I am totally against the involvement of any profit making organization in education. No matter how benign the motives may be portrayed the underlying motive is always profit and that will always sway the input. They would not be doing it unless it was an advantage for them and we all know that those who hold the purse strings hold the power.I am also against government bodies becoming involved as, for the same reasons I believe it reduces the objectivity of those bodies.

The education we provide for our most valuable resource (our children) should be independent and as excellent as we can make it.

Airgead

Not sure about Bayer’s involvement but the CSIRO do some absolutely fantastic educational programs. Really top notch stuff. No NLP indoctrination (seriously, WTF?) at all.

Our kids have been involved in a number of programs and I have acted as a community coordinator for their Energymark program which was also excellent.

Like I say.. don’t know what Bayer’s involvement is on this one as I don’t know the specific program but in general, CSIRO programs are excellent.

The CSIRO is funded by but independent of government. In the same way that public schools are funded by but independent from government. If you cut out government from education you aren’t left with much…

Cheers

Dave

penny

Agree about CSIRO, they have great programs and while they are independent, funded as are our public schools. I think that they should stay that way. I have also been involved in programmes promoted by other non profit groups, and found them to be excellent. My comment was simply that I feel that the involvement of profit making groups in education should be scrutinized really carefully as I doubt that they would become involved without an eye on the bottom line.

I have just re read your comment Airgead and wish to clarify my comment. CSIRO is independent and provide excellent education programmes. My comment was aimed at the involvement of for profitcompanies generally in education.

I hope that I have managed to make myself clear. If not blame it on the frustration of the broken leg!

BlueWren

I don’t like the Woolies “educational/sports gear” promotions either – kids are going to pester parents to shop at Woolies “to help our school”.Coles perhaps have them too?

Anonymous

sounds like csiro is in bed with bayer on this, more than strange bed fellows.

would figure it could be hard to claim independency when your funding comes from the gov”? they are not really independant, they are an arm of the gov’, and have the gov’s vested interests at heart.

len

Airgead

gardenlen post=338295 wrote:

would figure it could be hard to claim independency when your funding comes from the gov”? they are not really independant, they are an arm of the gov’, and have the gov’s vested interests at heart.

len

Same could be said for the schools… They are funded by the government.

Like I said, if you take government money out of schools there isn’t much left.

I’d rather government money than corporate.

Cheers

Dave

Anonymous

i treat schools as gov’ except for the over subsidised private schools where money goes that the public schools don’t get.

csiro in be with a corporate chemical giant looks clear to me, things are crook in talerook. sounds like corporate money to me, wonder what greasy palm work is going on, bayer will want something out of this, maybe some big bursaries to uni’s??

all about manipulation and indoctrination.

len

penny

Government funding does give a certain amount of freedom. The govt which is elected by the people of course has an education policy, but within the, generally agreed, basics that are deemed to be essential by most of us there is a lot of freedom. Yep you can see it as a conspiracy to indoctrinate but don’t forget that we teachers also have a very wide range of backgrounds and beliefs so kids are in contact with many differing views. Then of course there are us dangerous types who insist on teaching students to think, reason, and question. ( don’t tell anyone)

Edit to add- teaching is not something most go into for the money!

owlbrudder

penny post=338300 wrote: teaching is not something most go into for the money!

Perhaps not, but mis-information IS something people go into for the money. In documents leaked the other day from the Heartland Institute, a radical-right-wing (Don’t) Think Tank in the USA, we find their actions include, and I quote:

“We are pursuing a proposal from Dr. David Wojick to produce a global warming curriculum for K-12 schools. Dr. Wojick is a consultant with the Office of Scientific and Technical Information at the U.S. Department of Energy in the area of information and communication science.”

“His effort will focus on providing curriculum that shows that the topic of climate change is controversial and uncertain – two key points that are effective at dissuading teachers from teaching science.” (emphasis added)

And their budget for this?

[table]

[tr]

[td]Amount[/td]

[td] – [/td]

[td]Explanation[/td]

[/tr]

[tr]

[td]$75,000[/td]

[td] – [/td]

[td]K-12 Climate Education Project
    Payments to David Wojick for K-12 Global Warming Lesson Plan modules plus a Website featuring the same. Estimate quarterly payments of $25,000 in June, September, and December.[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

So, they are paying a US Government employee (? perhaps a contractor), who works in the area of information and communication science, a hefty boost to his earnings, to come up with material specifically designed to dissuade teachers from teaching science.

It is, in passing, interesting to note that one of the people on their payroll works at our very own James Cook University and has links to the Australian right-wing (Don’t) Think Tank, the I.P.A. (Institute of Public Affairs). The I.P.A. are doing all they can to see Tony (“Climate change is crap”) Abbott elected as our next Prime Minister. If successful, would they use their political clout to try to “dissuade teachers from teaching science” in our classrooms?

For more on the revelations about the Heartland Institute, see the page at Skeptical Science.

Anonymous

suppose the teaching of science is it good science or bad science, for me when they get into manipulation and indoctrination through the gov’ and corrupting the young dumbing them down not to have any lateral thinking and no common sense. which is what they do, then they are bad science and who sets the ground rules? those that are pro’ the latest trends?

of course they are going to make it look a roaring success, again who tests the water, the pro’ group do.

i can only see more kids with no mind of their own.

len

Airgead

I don’t know that many teachers are involved in dumbing down our kids… all the ones I know are working themselves ragged for pitiful salaries trying to smarten them up.

Dumbing them down is what the TV is for…

BlueWren

Airgead post=338310 wrote: I don’t know that many teachers are involved in dumbing down our kids… all the ones I know are working themselves ragged for pitiful salaries trying to smarten them up.

Dumbing them down is what the TV is for…

Here! Here! The blackboard jungle is not for the faint hearted nowadays.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.