Aussies Living Simply

Creature identification wanted

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Creature identification wanted

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Hummer
    Keymaster

Does anyone know what this creature is.. would it be a gardeners friend or foe ?

Hummer
    Keymaster

Argh.. I am not sure of what I am doing here folks, but I have managed a link to a small pic of it in my ALS photo album.. but it is a bit small

where was it ( the insect ) ? , the pic is a bit small, was it in shallow water or dirt? looks like its got paddles out its side which seems a bit nymphish to me , google? description?

sorry cant help u more cheers kate

ps googled pond mini beasts and came up with a water boatman

http://www.reec.nsw.edu.au/k6/page/mba14.htm

Hummer
    Keymaster

Thanks Kate 🙂

It was in the dirt just below the surface.

oh cool some other type of insect, does it have wings?

Hummer
    Keymaster

No wings.. or none that I saw. Wish I could make the pic bigger 🙁

Bel

The size is really deceptive. If under the dirt, perhaps some sort of cockchafer beetle? Initially, I thought it might be ladybird larvae, but probably not if under the dirt.

Bron

can you re=size the photo on your computer first?

Hummer
    Keymaster

The size of it was about 1 and a half cm and it had 6 legs. So far I haven’t found anything on the web that resembles it.

That photo is a full sized photo Bron, I’m not sure why it is appearing so small. I thought maybe it was a type of ladybird larvae also, as that is what it did look a bit like, but I thought they were all black ?

This has a very distinct orange helmet on it’s head and some white bits hanging off the rear end..

If you can access my photo album you should be able to see a larger shot of it.

Hummer
    Keymaster

Hi all,

I managed to load a pic of this mysterious creature.. back up on my first post in the thread.

Much easier to see it now 🙂

that is a really cool mini beast ( and yes thanx its much easier to see now . ). looks like it will have wings in its adult stage too ( the patch on its back. ) love its vibraant head sorry cant help more

Franceyne

It’s a gorgeous little critter, but I have no idea of what it is… I’d be surprised if it was a cockchafer larvae…wrong shape to my way of thinking… I’m intrigued 🙂

Hummer
    Keymaster

It actually bent in the middle, but in the opposite way that you would think.. it’s ends lifted up, marginaly..

Whatever it is I did disturb it, as it was curled up.. but after I poked it (as I was intrigued also) it woke up.

It wasn’t very far below the surface and it was under a gravel path.

BlueWren

This critta is not illustrated in my very comprehensive garden pest book so perhaps its a harmless friend.There’s something that lives around here that makes little craters in the dry dust.I’ll poke around next time I’m outside and see if the diggers are like your little guy.

roogz

if you send your pic to the DPI or Csiro they will identify it for you.

we have used them for strange bugs in the past.

Cheers

Roogz

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.