Aussies Living Simply

Could you live without television?

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Life Changes Could you live without television?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Jaz

Nope! I love the TV, Curious George keeps the kids quiet while I cook the dinner lol 🙂 Also keeps me company at night, I like the background noise,

ballamara
    Keymaster

I can take or leave the TV all depends what is on as we only have free to air that  usually isn’t very mush.

I don’t have one – have not had one since moving to the UK and discovering they required a licence fee to use one (watched i-view while i was there, lol). Where i live now I have to have an aerial and have not bothered to install one, so the television is gathering dust in the corner of the loungeroom under some bubble wrap (still renovating). From time to time I consider paying out $300.00 to get an aerial installed so I can watch the ABC while sewing or knitting but then I remind myself of all those ads – if I watch TV I see things I didn’t know existed which suddenly can not be lived without. Without telly I avoid temptation. Plenty of books in the world and there is always the laptop. Oh, and my signal here is so unreliable that watching anything on i-view is a pointless exercise even if I had the download capability.

jameeR

I’d probably spending more money because my television is my anchor at home :'(. But I’d definitely stop watching tv because of the internet

Mike Harding
    Participant

I live alone.

I do own a CRT TV but I don’t think I turned it on last year.

calliecat
    Participant

I have done in  the past,
    a lot of it for me is background noise – this tv is still able to play DVDs,
    if I had no choice I would certainly adapt, my DVD recorder is getting fixed so lots of DVDs are getting played even though I’m not actually sitting watching them,

mclamber

We have just moved into a place with no aerial and cannot pick up any TV.  We have got an Apple TV – which means we can get Netflix and watch the internet versions of ABC iview, SBS and Channel 10.  Since I can’t just have the TV on in the background any more and have to actually choose a program to watch I have realised how much rubbish is on TV!  Also, since we now don’t watch the news 4 times a day I actually feel calmer!  Occasionally there are good series that I will binge watch, but overall I am watching far less TV.  I do realise now how much of my time I have wasted on TV in the past – my kids however (14 & 16) seem to be watching just as much as they did before on their computers.

Mike Harding
    Participant

>Since I can’t just have the TV on in the background any more

I notice a number of people have said this; I have never understood why anyone wants TV (especially) or radio “on in the background” or, for that matter, music. What is wrong with silence and the normal sounds of the world? No generation before mine (perhaps a bit of my parents) had the option to bury themselves in such things instead they, talked or thought or just absorbed the world around them. I don’t believe this constant assault upon our faculties is good for us.

Interestingly: a friend recently borrowed a car without a radio in order to drive to my place. Upon arrival he mentioned how stressed he had been because (paraphrasing) he had simply had to think and there were no distractions.

>Also, since we now don’t watch the news 4 times a day I actually feel calmer!

I can certainly relate to that. Having led an “international” life I take a keen interest in world events and follow BBC, Al Jazeera, CNN, Oz news  et al. However when I spend time gold prospecting in remote bush (as I often do) and have no comms. apart from Amateur Radio and with luck the occasional BBC World Service short wave broadcast I am always surprised, when I emerge from the bush, that this or that has happened somewhere in the world and it all passed me by – there is some merit in the monastic life 🙂

MH

skydog

I like to watch some TV programs, my favourite are anime, sci fi, fantasy and good films.

Whenever I watch the TV with adverts I like to press pause on my freeview so that I dont have to watch the adverts, I might be able to just use a tablet, who knows.
    ballamara
    Keymaster

Like wise skydog, my mute button gets a good work out as far as ads are concerned.

calliecat
    Participant

that is why I record things now, can fast forward the ads,
    I still hear the birds wake up, I still hear them settle themselves at night,
    mine is not on 24/7 cos half the time I’m outside anyway

ballamara
    Keymaster

Being off the grid we are very careful with power and only put the TV  on when we intend to watch it.

calliecat
    Participant

both times I have been without a TV,  of course I have adapted very well, my recorder is in the shop at present being fixed, so I’ve been catching up on DVDs
    not a tennis fan, nor a cricket fan, so fo the the best time of the year for recorder to be in shop, this is it! lol
    and of course tv is a habit, and if it broke or they stations went off air, it wouldn’t kill me either I know that
    but there are some things I do like to watch,

calliecat
    Participant

mind you if I had to pay for it, it wouldn’t be happening

Snags

I think Ive developed a food network addiction recently
    Watching Americans getting excited about cooking fast food from scratch is turning me into zombie.

I cant wait for Gardening Australia, QANDA,Insiders and the AFL to come back on…dont mind escape to continent ..you can buy a Chateaux in France with its own vineyard for the price of a fibro in rural Australia. ……..lol ;p

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.