Aussies Living Simply

Coping with electricity bills

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Living within your means Coping with electricity bills

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Chezza

Hmm, interesting nlac…. We have 180L tank and no heater….

Oh joy… rate, petrol, electricity hikes start today…. :p

baringapark

Tully in Victoria our State Gov has rebates for everything. i get back hundreds on my winter power and those on bottled gas can get almost all of it back. You can get a fuel rebate for using a generator and you can even get a brand new fridge and washing machine once every 10 years delivered to your door.

I live in Vic and have never heard of this :jawdrop: How do I get these rebates???? Our power bill is astronomical and we have bottled gas out here too!

Judi B

Chezza wrote:

Hmm, interesting nlac…. We have 180L tank and no heater….

Oh joy… rate, petrol, electricity hikes start today…. :p

Chezza it all depends on the size of the tank and what type of fish you are keeping a small fish tank will lose heat quicker than a large one it all has to do with the volume of water.

Goldfish don’t need a heater and there are native fish that can survive with no heating.

pxdave

burntmill wrote:

At $113 for a full bottle that is such a rip off. LPG is Butane and Propane. It’s exactly the same gas at the servo for cars. Exactly the same. to fill a bottle here from the servo at the moment would cost you $39. Yes i know it’s illegal but i know HEAPS of people in the country who do it. go to a wreckers and get a gas filler from an old car and connect it to a BBQ hose … Oh you can work it out. if you blow yourself up you’ll be the first ever.

burntmill….are you sure on this point, my limited understanding is that autogas is a mixture (that varies seasonally) of butane and propane whereas domestic gas is 100% propane. Both butane and propane burn differently and Australian domestic appliances are designed to burn 100% propane. Introducing butane into the mix can lead to poor burning and generation of carbon monoxide which could be dangerous in an enclosed space.

Interested if you have any further info on this?

Tullymoor

Burntmill said:

Tully in Victoria our State Gov has rebates for everything. i get back hundreds on my winter power and those on bottled gas can get almost all of it back. You can get a fuel rebate for using a generator and you can even get a brand new fridge and washing machine once every 10 years delivered to your door. Our car rego is a little over half QLD prices.

Um, mate, I’m a Victorian and have never heard of any of this stuff and also my rego is NOT half of Qlder’s :tdown: My rego for a small, 2 door, 3 cyl car in April 07 was $518.40. I doubt anyone pays around a grand a year for a Suzuki Swift :p

(Edited to say…”I don’t know that I’ve ever had’ a power rebate in my life or heard of washing machines and fridges delivered to your door! 😆 Never had money back for using bottled gas :confused:

Please explain??? 😀

Eira Clapton

Just got my electricity bill, which shows a significant reduction in cost for the quarter as compared with this time last year. I think that this will be particularly because we got rid of the old drinks fridge and replaced it with one which is more energy efficient, and got rid of the lights which used halogen globes and replaced with fittings which can take compact fluoros. If that saving were to last the whole year, we would save $500 for the year in electricity usage.

baringapark

most are for health care card or pension card holders

🙁

Tullymoor

Ah, well that’s a horse of a different colour. Good info for all concession card holders though, thanks Chris :tup:

GirlFriday

this is a very timely thread for us as well. our last power bill was nearly $700!!! that is with me turning off almost everything at the powerpoint every night, hot water system on off peak and naggine everyone to turn lights off etc. argh!! (where is the hit head in frustration emoticon??)

we do however have 5 fishtanks of varying sizes (i have a 4 ft tropical, boys have a two foot tropical, master 5 a 2 ft goldfish and miss 3 a 1 ft goldfish…..the boys have certainly lost interest in their fishtanks so i think i may consolidate them into my fishtank and turn all that extra power using stuff off. We turned the chest freezer off 4 months ago because it didnt have enough in it to justify having it on…we do however have a pool but we dont use it/ filter it etc over winter and we dont have heaters. We rent this house and insulated it at our own expence and it was well worth the initial outlay.

We cant do solar. I do however do a lot of baking and cooking so will talk to DF about bringing the camp stove upstairs and using the gas bottle- the stove is all electric and the oven takes ages to warm up.

so some food for thought in this thread- thanks.

we pay $50 a week out of our pay towards the electricity bill so thankfully when it comes in it is not as heart attack inducing as it would be but i just cant see where all the power is going!

baringapark

gawd we pay $141 per fortnight for our bill!

5 people live here, plus I run the farm and business, which includes a coolroom 24/7 and all water is on electric pumps etc etc. We now have solar hot water and solar panels which honestly haven’t seemed to make a dent in our bill. I am going to replace my electric stove and oven with gas shortly, and have finally found a wood stove locally that we will install in the next couple of weeks. I am a cold fish, so do use heaters. I am picking up a pot belly stove for my bedroom next week :tup: Haven’t put the electric blanket on the bed this year, just added another doona on top – seems to be working as DH hasn’t complained yet 🙂

Michelle-sm

I had the the Climate Smart guy here 2 weeks ago and for $50 he fitted an energy consumption meter to my power box with a portable read out, a low flow showerhead and 9 CFL’s.

I have become really aware of how much power different appliances use. Lights make almost no difference when switched on but, holy smokes, turn on the oven or the stove and the meter goes crazy!

Anything that produces heat consumes way more power, when my HWS kicks in at night the meter also goes up heaps.

My last quarterly bill was about $300 so I’m hoping it will go down now that I’m more aware of what power I’m using.

I also found out I just scraped in for the govt solar hot water scheme so I am getting solar hot water for only $500!

When my 1kw solar system is installed in January I am hoping to have halved my power bill.:tup:

grumpy3

Have any of you people on a few acres thought of making your own methane gas for cooking and heating. Only need any of the following pigs, cows , goats, chooks and a bit of veggie scraps. Could save yourself a bit of money.

Dennis

baringapark

tell us how dennis, never heard of it mate :shrug:

smurfy

Dennis, we had a friend on Norfolk Island who had a piggery. All the methane gas was used on the property for heating, cooking etc,.

Excellent idea if you can do it!

grumpy3

Smurfy,

It works real good and not a lot of work for cooking and heating but a bit more involved to compress and run you car on it.

Dennis

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.