Aussies Living Simply

Coping with electricity bills

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Living within your means Coping with electricity bills

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    shadowdancer

just think it’s not the case when he gets up..think its all done by rote!!! 😆 And if its new to his system, he won’t wanna go outside and through the spiders to get to the meterbox. 😆

nlac

When the Federal Government Green Loans Program kicks off (supposed to be July 1) you can get a Household Sustainability Assessment for free. Check out the Green Loans website. It doesn’t include using a meter to check out power usage from individual appliances, and maybe most people on ALS will already be doing most of what would be suggested, but still it is free and sometimes a fresh pair of eyes can spot things you don’t notice.

Also, I just found out that local libraries around Newcastle now have the little energy consumption meters (that you use to check what each appliance is using) available to borrow (for free). It might be worth checking your local library. Ours certainly didn’t advertise and I found out kinda by accident, but that sure beats buying one.

Have to admit I can relate to the fish issue- I’ve been watching the last 3 in my sons fish tank wondering how much electricity their using and thinking surely they can’t live much longer!!:lol:

gypsyoak

tully, turning off the power is also a brilliant idea. You can have a gold star!

Chezza

😆 with nlac… I never thought about it until osakasuz mentioned she had emptied hers and she did mention a yearly running cost (um, sorry I can’t remember… )…. I have never looked at DS3s fish tank in the same light… Just a big waste of $$, time and water (okies not so much in the water dept… lol )…. Can’t wait to do the same… :tup:

artylouie

I don’t know if this is of use to anyone, but because we are pensioners, we can arrange with Centerlink to take out money from our pension each fortnight. Lorraine

Tullymoor

Murder them in their sleep Chezza 😡

Thanks Gypsy! :metal:

Metu

It sounds as if Qld’s just catching up with the rest of the country.

Yeah, I’m not sure we actually were the cheapest state to live. It sounds good though – gotta love those spin doctors. 😆

Tullymoor

No other state gets fuel rebates that I’m aware of :shrug:

smurfy

Do you mean the fual subsidy Tully? If so, our State Govt has just decided to remove it, as of 1st July. Our petrol will go up at least 8 cents a litre!!!!!!!!GRRRRRRRR!!!!

Tullymoor

Do you mean the fual subsidy Tully?

Yeah, that.

Our petrol will go up at least 8 cents a litre!!!!!!!!

To become the same price as the rest of the country pays, yes?? :shrug:

Judi B

I think the servos have already started putting the prices up every time we go to town the fuel prices are higher last week price was $1.14.9 L, yesterday it was $1.20.9 L maybe they are doing it so it will not be such a shock, have been saying for a while that we may just have to get a horse and cart.

Tullymoor

Have I got a deal for you! 😆

Robyne

I had to go into Adelaide yesterday and paid $1.32 for unleaded, so I put in $10.

In the hills at Harndorf I found a little servo that sold theirs for $1.19 so I topped up my car up.

On the coast we are always higher $1.45l LPG is 68.9l and Deisil is $1.54l

smurfy

Yes Tully, I suppose it will be the ‘same as the rest of the country’.

Unfortunately, it also affects farmers, truckies etc.(who I believe have already lost other rebates and subsidies) …so cost of food and goods will go up too.

If it was just the fuel subsidy, most of us could handle it. But, as

discussed, Qld is rapidly becoming very expensive, with sharp increases in basic goods and services.

Probably a trend in many other States of Aus as well though…..:noapprove:

nlac

Just on those little fishes again…I borrowed an energy meter from the local library and put it on DS fish tank. His tank is quite small. The pump used very little but the heater of course used quite alot of energy. Over 24 hrs his 3 little fish in their small tank used 0.8kWh. Hmmm…considering he often forgets to feed them and has lost interest, I think their time may soon be up! 😆

And especially since we’ve just had a price hike of 20% for electricity, starting today.:noapprove:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.