Aussies Living Simply

Coping with electricity bills

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Living within your means Coping with electricity bills

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Metu

Gianna, I know in our case, we cannot switch off the septic or solar hot water system. As part of the manufacturers instructions, it’s advised that these items not be switched off for long periods of time.

The solar hot water system also locks us into a higher paying tariff with our electricity company too – as it has to be on continually. 🙁

jaymes

we run the fish pumps 24hours (or we get dead fish :rip: )

I try to remember to turn everything off at the wall, including the cordless phone when we are out of the house (messages go to messagebank, don’t need the answering machine :shrug: )

We’ve been paying an average amount every fortnight for many years. Every little bit helps when the actual bill arrives.

Tullymoor

It sounds as if Qld’s just catching up with the rest of the country. :shrug:

Jaymester, solar pumps for the fishes? :shrug:

jaymes

$$$$$ 🙁

Tullymoor

I hear ya :p

For what it’s worth, we pump water to one hose, the house (shower/kitchen/toulet etc ) with one insy winsy solar panel……

gypsyoak

Tully that is a brilliant idea!

Tullymoor

Which one?? 😆

gypsyoak

the solar panel for the water pump. I have a feeling that is a big part of our electricity bill!

grumpy3

Tully. What type of water pump do you use with the solar. We have 12 volt pressure pumps that work fine but they do pull about 4 AMPS when running. It has not bothered me much because they are not usually on for long and they get shut off at night. But there may come a day when it does.

Dennis

Tullymoor

Oh, shame. I thought my good idea was the one that you guys turn your power off (and not die from the experience) 12 hours a day 😉

Gypsyoak and Grumpy, will have to get back to you with details but we just have a single solar panel and Shurflo (USA?? From the 12 volt shop W.A. cost around $400) pump (20 litres a minute) and a heavy duty 4 wheel drive battery. Will look what size solar panel it is tomorrow, if it’s written on it. There are only the two of us but we do dishes, shower, toilet, one garden hose etc all day and night from it.

Hope that’s of some use to you :hug:

Chezza

I’d like to have a solar set up that looks after the water pump, septic pump and the freezer… Except for the computer and once I get a new cord thingy for the treadly sewing machine I wouldn’t use mucg electricity at all….

I do hope the last of the kids tank of fish cark it soon… I just keep thinking of the electricty it uses and shutting it down would be one way to cut back… 😡

muster

Have you had the Climate Smart (I think that is what its called) people out to do an audit and fit the energy monitor? It cost $50 but well worth the expense – I have my monitor in the kitchen so that I can watch my energy use. I have tankwater and sewerage all using pumps. I did find out that when they installed my heat pump hot water they didn’t connect it to night tariff rate. Now it’s on the reduced tariff the monitor is showing a huge difference in daily usage. The other thing I do is have $60 a pension paid into my electricity account – I have a credit now which should get me through summer air conditioning time.

baringapark

Is there such a thing in victoria? An audit I mean!

The only one I could find must have been a private company

Our assessments are priced at $330. If you live in Victoria, you could be eligible to receive a $50 rebate from your water retailer.

:jawdrop:

I think it is time we had one done.

shadowdancer

I set up my netbanking to pay my bills every week, out of my pay. At the end of the payday, all my bills are payed, and whatever money I have left is for me, for shopping for the fam, or whatever…so saving then becomes an incentive. Also look into the offpeak tarriffs for your area. My lowest costing electricity comes into effect at 11pm and finishes at 5 or 6 am. And seeing as I get home at 12.30am, I just whack on the washing machine then! And if it’s wet, I also do the drying then in the dryer, and hang the towels on an air rack out in the warmer parts of the house. These are specially good, if you can take advantage of your heating, even from an oven that you’re cooking in, to dry smalls and incidental stuff you need. Avoid washing stuff you don’t until the weather is fine.

The best thing I’ve ever done, and I used to do it all the time when I was on a single parent pension, was to budget every last dollar! Right down to breaking all the bills up by adding the quarters together and dividing them into 52 weeks! It sure helps heaps.

I must try the turning the house off at the meter? although I have an aversion to get up at 4.30am to turn it back on when hubby gets up to go to work 😀 :shrug:

Tullymoor

although I have an aversion to get up at 4.30am to turn it back on when hubby gets up to go to work

Why would you need to turn it on, does he have broken fingers? 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.