Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

composting toilet

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    alokinalokin

We moved into a house with a single flush toilet which I intend to replace – but – how about a composting toilet?

We are living in a sewered area and this certainly does not not comply with the Sydney water regulations, but who will ever notice?

We have our toilet in the bathroom but there would be space in the laundry.

Does anyone owns and uses a composting toilet? Which system can be recommended and which system is no good? Does it smell? How often do you have to clean the XXXX out? Costs?

Is it maybe better to stick with the flush toilet anyway and only build a second on, maybe a garden toilet firstly to know the system?

WombatWombat

Hey Alokin,

Have a look at what we are in the process of doing.

Nev

http://www.underthechokotree.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&id=10&Itemid=56

ccBearccBear

Check here http://www.humanurehandbook.com/manual.html Then Google for videos showing the system. Lots of people use them in suburban situations.

pennypenny

We have the first draft of our house at the “farm” and I have been researching different composting environmentally sound toilets. One type costs about $1200 a year in power costs to run. There is an earthworm system A&A is the company and there system- no power costs is approved every where except here. Just my luck. I also read somewhere that if someone using antibiotics uses some system it can knock the bacteria out in the system

alokinalokin

One type costs about $1200 a year in power costs to run. There is an earthworm system A&A is the company and there system- no power costs is approved every where except here. Just my luck.

Ouch.. that’s really something to look for – it would double our power bill, I certainly want a no power system! Earthworm system sounds great and hubby would be very easy to convince!

Wombat your DIY system involves bucketing the xxx out into a wheelie bin, right? Do you do this or your wife? And then the bucket must be cleaned, to be really honest, for a person who grew up with a out of sight out of mind flush toilet this is not too appealing! I would rather prefer having the outputs in the compost bin straight away.

KirstyKirsty

Mine is a humanure toilet! No smell at all which suprised me:clap:

I built it myself:metal: It is one of those big white buckets inside a wooden suround with a toilet seat and I am now using free saw dust from the wood work shop in town (it’s free!!!) as a cover material and its great I just followed the instructions on the humanure website and the whole lot cost me $40 :metal: I empty it once a week in the special compost heap and I just can’t sing its praises highly enough:hug::hug:

Anonymous

2 choices humanuer which i ahve always heard good stuff about and nature-loo which we have used, as far as council reg’s go tell ’em nuthin’ take ‘me nowhere. don’t tell neighbours even friends what the eye don’t see the heart won’t yearn for. one day hope to set up a humanure bucket here even if only for my use.

len

alokinalokin

You can’t keep this very secret as even friends have to go to the loo from time to time. And from our house you can walk to the city council in just 15 minutes. But; I wouldn’t even think about asking them!

alokinalokin

I’ve just had a look at the A&A website. This is not a usual compost toilet system, however it seems to be great. But I guess that the costs involved are pretty high. The advantage is that it can be connected to a usual toilet.

pennypenny

Yes and there are no running costs and you get the worm castings and worm eggs washed into the garden. I emailed them and they got back very quickly but I don’t know about cost. I was just so disappointed I can’t use it 🙁

It seems to me that the A&A one is a regular flushing toilet with an alternative “septic” type system. They seem to talk a lot about all the water diluting anything you put in the system.

A friend of ours has a nature loo ( i think it is?), seems like a good system, but pricey.

We have the good ol’ humanure setup, much the same as Kirsty and Wombat’s plans.

alokinalokin

With your good old setup – you use buckets and tip them in the compost every day? And then you wash them. Maybe I only have to get used to it. Goodness me am I a child of luxury!

KirstyKirsty

I have an outside toilet that people I think would react badly to it can use and my humanure toilet can be disguised if need be:tup: A big bucket takes a week to fill so you wouldn’t need to be emptying it everyday, it really doesn’t smell:clap:

Buckets don’t need to be emptied everyday, but yea that’s the general idea. As Kirsty said, there is no smell when the toilet is in use. A slight smell when emptying a bucket, but I’d prefer to empty buckets than change baby nappies (if that helps put the process in perspective)

pxdavepxdave
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.