Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Commercial Aquaponics

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Aquaponics Commercial Aquaponics

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    trandtotrandto

I thought this an interesting article, a very large commercial aquaponics system

http://www.theland.com.au/news/agriculture/general/news/fishy-project-pays-off/2670920.aspx?storypage=0

BETWEEN 15,000 and 20,000 kilograms of barramundi a year and 129,000 herb plants every 28 days are set be produced at a new glasshouse horticulture facility on Sydney’s south-west outskirts.

SnagsSnags

I will be interesting to see the long term viability

They got 1.5 mill government grant and tipped 5 mill in too

Thats a lot of fish and basil to pay for that then add fish food and power and maintenance and wages.

Then its a mono culture of fish and a mono culture of plants wont take much to throw that out if something goes wrong.

Good luck to them if it proves viable.

trandtotrandto

I agree with some of your points but it has to be better then the usual nonsense of “closing fisheries, pay fishermen out and then importing fish from overseas” that you see from Government environmental policy.

SnagsSnags

I think you find we export our good fish and import cheap crap fish.

Its almost even what we sell and what we buy.

Everybody loses as we all eat inferior imported fish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seafood_in_Australia

Macdonalds killed the Fish and Chip shop and the local fresh fish industry all it gave us was crap jobs and crap food and puts a strain on our medicare.

Then ad the free trade agreement with the US and an increasing fish eating middle class in Asia and we sold our arse/fresh fish and fisheries to the highest bidder at the detriment of ordinary Australians.

We now are forced to eat cheap frozen crap from dubious sources.

Green Zones are proven to work where unrestrained greedy over fishing is proven to not work.

All for fish farming but where does the fish food come from ….wild fish?

Its not really sustainable until that changes.

trandtotrandto

Snags post=358189 wrote: I think you find we export our good fish and import cheap crap fish.

That’s misleading, the wikipedia link’s talking $’s, not tonnes of fish, for example 1 x $10,000 tuna does not make up for 1,000tonne x $10 of imported “shrimp”, for example.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/heres-the-catch-we-love-seafood-to-death-20091021-h929.html

Snags post=358189 wrote: Macdonalds killed the Fish and Chip shop and the local fresh fish industry all it gave us was crap jobs and crap food and puts a strain on our medicare.

Calling bullshit right there. See what you did ? completely abdicated responsibility from the consumer. I have yet to meet a successful business that has no customers, Maccas is successful because they deliver what people want. The fishing industry was killed by Government regulation. As to fish and chip shops, we have several in the small town nearby, so I am dubious of this death claim of yours but if they were as “dead” as you claim it’s because they weren’t offering something the customer wanted.

Snags post=358189 wrote: Then ad the free trade agreement with the US and an increasing fish eating middle class in Asia and we sold our arse/fresh fish and fisheries to the highest bidder at the detriment of ordinary Australians.

Free trade is a wonderful idea, I deplore supporting inefficiencies. We import WAY, WAY more (in volume) than we export. Why can’t the people of Asia enjoy fish, do they not have the same right to existences as anyone else on the PLanet ? I wouldn’t be too quick to jump on them, Australians are some of the worst over-consumers on the Planet, one example, we have the highest CO2 emission per capita of an Annex 1 nation on Earth. We have the longest coastline of any nation on the Planet and we’re not self sufficient in fish.

Snags post=358189 wrote: We now are forced to eat cheap frozen crap from dubious sources.

Force ? So they have a gun to your head ? Maybe your fish vendor doesn’t stock anything but cheap frozen crap ? We have a plethora of choice at ours, not that I buy it because it’s “unsustainable” but that’s a whole different issue.

Snags post=358189 wrote: Green Zones are proven to work where unrestrained greedy over fishing is proven to not work.

That’s mostly disingenuous, all it does is move the problem elsewhere, it’s the worst sort of management because there is no efficacy and it’s just expensive theatre. Improving the fish stocks in Area A while depleting them in Areas B,C and D is only management if you’re a politician. One small anecdotal story, listening to a ABC RN Podcast last year, several fisherman said many of there fellow fishermen just moved to NZ and PNG, fishing there instead and exporting to Australia.

Snags post=358189 wrote: All for fish farming but where does the fish food come from ….wild fish?

Its not really sustainable until that changes.

Agreed… if they’re using wild fish for the feedstock. Farming fish and banning wild fish catch import/export is the only genuine solution. That aside I don’t think there is anyway to sustainably feed 7 – 9 Billion people, there is only harm minimisation delaying the inevitable. Stopping having children is the only real solution to sustainability and don’t try discussing sensible solutions to that in here 🙂

SnagsSnags

You dont need a gun to get people to make crap decisions about food and become a successful corporation.

I had lots of great fish in India, they had no fridges so it was fresh and local.

Lets hope peak oil kicks in soon and it costs too much to catch and store and transport and export fish.

Its the only thing that will save the fish industry from overpopulation, greed and globalisation.

Cant see how fish fish farming would be able to cope under those conditions either without the wild caught fish food.

Buy/make a rod and a bike the future is localisation.

Along with organiponicos and 3rd world food markets

I cant wait.

pennypenny

What do they mean by “safely treating fish waste”. Is there an extra step they use or is the water simply recycled as in small systems? I just wondered if anyone knows.

SnagsSnags

I assume they mean the solids at the base of the tanks/grow beds

Worms are used in the grow beds on smaller scale operations.

I cant see why an asset is considered anything that needs to be safely treated.

unless thats code for packaged and sold as organic fertiliser.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.