Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Comfrey ointment, anyone made their own??

Home Forums HOMEMADE Natural Remedies and Health Support Comfrey ointment, anyone made their own??

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    mudhenmudhen

Sorry I didn’t see this last night, Kristy. I had another look at the blog with the recipe and she doesn’t say how long she left it for. http://slowlivingessentials.blogspot.com.au/2011/04/comfrey-ointment.html Too low is better than too hot and burning the leaves or oil. One of the comments said they put the leaves in a bottle and filled with oil then left it on the windowsill for 6 weeks to infuse that way. How long did you leave yours for in the end?

KristyKristy

I ended up leaving it on the stove overnight, but turned off. Just checked and the oil is hard, but doesn’t look green 🙁 I’m thinking I will turn it back on low until I have to head to work at 11.30.

mudhenmudhen

Sounds like a good plan! Have you thought about using your pressure cooker to do it in? Did you get an electric one? Mine has a “slow cook” function which I have used to do the ointment, but if you can cook on low heat without pressure that would probably do the trick. Mine has a timer and I am happy to leave it on overnight or during the day while I’m at work.

KristyKristy

I don’t think my pressure cooker has a slow cooker/low temp with it. I left it on the stove on low whilst I did things around the house and then strained it just before work and was so excited to see it was a lovely green colour now. It was runny, so it will be interesting to see how it looks once it sets. I’m looking forward to testing out!

Jenoka77Jenoka77

I would like to make some comfrey ointment however I’m allergic to coconut. What other oils would everyone recommend?

fruitfulfruitful

Jenoka77, follow the link mudhen put up to slow living essentials – that recipe uses olive oil and beeswax, my comfrey is coming up and if it gets enough leaves (after I put some in the liquid fertiliser) then I may have a go at making some too.

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.