Aussies Living Simply

Comfrey ointment, anyone made their own??

Home Forums HOMEMADE Natural Remedies and Health Support Comfrey ointment, anyone made their own??

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    mauzi

You can use any sort of oil, but some remain liquid and others set to an ointment consistency unless of course, it is very hot, in which case they go to a liquid form and then reset when it is cooler. It really depends what you want to do with them and your preference, but the healing capacity is basically the same.

Regarding teeth, the taste may be pretty ordinary. Comfrey is generally not recommended for internal use and as an ointment generally used externally. I have to say that I have eaten young leaves in salads, and chewed them for many years and I know of others that have for 25 or more years, and proclaim the health benefits of this. It is a bit of a debate and their are often strong opinions on both sides of the fence. I have not used it for teeth though (and wish you luck as well). Maybe someone else will come on that has used it internally in this way.

I sometimes also add lavender (for its antaseptic values) to my ointment (you could use oil but I use the fresh flowers and add them to my brew, strain and bottle in sterilized jars).

As far as time goes, if you have the leaves/roots you can make it in a couple of hours. Some posts have mentioned taking days/weeks to let it steep, but I have never done that and the ointment has been spectacular in its results, so that will come down to choice. I add as many leaves/roots as I can fit in the pot of selected oil, bring almost to the boil and then simmer for 30 minutes to 2 hrs, let cool a bit and then strain and pour into sterilised jars.

BlueWren

You can get coconut oil from some chemists.I use virgin cold pressed from Fiji for health and cooking.It is a solid at average room temp, does not go rancid and doesn’t have to be kept in the fridge.Some chemists do keep it in the fridge but it’s better on the shelves.

Also plenty of online outlets.I have read it’s best to get the ones that say “No halene” ???????? I don’t think that’s the right word starting with h but it’s something similar , and is to do with the processing.

Coconut oil can also be bought without having the coconut flavour I believe.

lmd80

Thanks! I wasn’t planning on using it internal but rather rub it on my cheeks maybe? Not knowing what to expect, only going on information from others, I expect to have quite swollen cheeks? I’m going to pick some today and maybe soom root too, might spit and grow some more off one of my plants if it works 🙂

Hummer

lmd80 post=345103 wrote: Thanks! I wasn’t planning on using it internal but rather rub it on my cheeks maybe? Not knowing what to expect, only going on information from others, I expect to have quite swollen cheeks? I’m going to pick some today and maybe soom root too, might spit and grow some more off one of my plants if it works 🙂

You could definitly use it on your cheeks externally, it will help with pain, bruising, swelling ..

Yes you can make this in hours, it just took me days.. because I kept having interruptions to my plans to when about to strain & bottle it 🙂

lmd80

Funnily enough mine ended up being left in the slow cooker for about 8 hours, after I got busy with 2 kids! Is it best to strain the leaves/root? Hopefully it will help Friday afternoon with swelling 🙂

Vanessa

So what size slow cookers are you talking about, and how much oil?

I’m thinking that with the amount of oil I used it would barely cover the bottom of the slow cooker.

lmd80

Mauzi, do you use it with open wounds? Everything I am reading is saying not near open wounds blisters or internal use. I am assuming this is due to the assumed liver damage risk. I’m guessing that yourself and overs that have used it for 25 years have no problems with you liver?

mauzi

Yes, I strain the leaves/roots.

Miaowzen

It’s not supposed to be used with open sores because it can knit the skin together before the sore has healed. If the cut is particularly deep is is sensible to use raw honey under a badage until a fair amount of healing has taken place and then use the comfrey ointment.

I like melting beeswax with the warm oil to make a salve.

BlueWren

I have just made my first batch, using coconut oil ……..I love coconut but the smell of the hot oil was pretty nasty!! The ointment has also set very hard, as coconut oil does in a cool ambient temperature.Would have to chip a bit out and soften in the fingers before using , and that could be a bit too runny I think?

Miaowzen

I’m going to be selling some excess dried herbs at a local market on Sunday (I’m so nervous, never done it before and I’ll be alone :jawdrop: :woohoo: ) and I’m missing a couple of useful accessories from the wholesaler so I think I’ll add some dried comfrey to my order and make a few batches of comfrey salve! I’ll be using beeswax, olive and jojoba oil. I’m making up the recipe myself from past dabbling, so if it’s a successful mix I’ll post the recipe.

Hummer

BlueWren post=345444 wrote: I have just made my first batch, using coconut oil ……..I love coconut but the smell of the hot oil was pretty nasty!! The ointment has also set very hard, as coconut oil does in a cool ambient temperature.Would have to chip a bit out and soften in the fingers before using , and that could be a bit too runny I think?

How hot was your oil BlueWren.. way hotter than it needs to be, by the sounds of it :ohmy:

I am confused by what you say here too, BW .. I am in Vic & the temps a bit cooler than QLD & I find the coconut oil quite easy to use, with just the fingers, no need to chip away at it here :shrug:

The heat from our bodies does render it to a liquid that is readily absorbed by the skin.. so how can too runny be an issue ?

Just trying to understand.. it sounds as if you’re not happy with it ??

BlueWren

Humbug , the coconut oil wasn’t very hot at all actually , I was very careful about that.Heated it just enough to melt it from solid and then kept it low , not a hint of frying type heat, or boiling. :jawdrop: I suppose you could say a very gentle simmer perhaps if that.

It has just set back as hard as the original coconut oil in my kitchen cupboard right now , a finger makes no impression on it at all.The weather is chilly up here – about 16C in the room now where I’m typing.We are not big on winter heating in Queensland , just rug up , because it’s not for much of the year that it’s this cool.Perhaps coconut oil will be best for summer comfrey ointment! And no . Runny is fine once it’s in the right place from dripping fingers.Haven’t really needed to use it for anything yet though.

Gianna

It might depend on what sort of coconut oil it is BlueWren. If it’s Copha from the supermarket, it sets rock hard. The coconut oils that are generally used for soapmaking and cosmetics, melt at body temperature. 🙂

ETA: I just scrolled up and saw that you’re using the good stuff so at 16 degrees (which is not cold to us Southerners) it shouldn’t be too hard. To melt just sit the container in hot water for a while.

Miaowzen

I would think in summer you’d have a liquid oil rather than ointment. You’ll have to keep it in the fridge! That’s why personally I prefer a combination of liquid oil and wax, it’s weather independent.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.