Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Comfrey ointment, anyone made their own??

Home Forums HOMEMADE Natural Remedies and Health Support Comfrey ointment, anyone made their own??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    VanessaVanessa

I found a couple of blog posts on making your own comfrey ointment, and thought I would ask if anyone else has done the same?

If so how did you find it??

These were the two that I was thinking of

From http://www.herbcottage.com.au

From slowlivingessentials blog

mauzimauzi

Think there was something on this a little while ago. Need Steve to track this one down :clap: I have made comfrey ointment for over 25 years now (gee, they will be calling me Nana soon :D:). I have used various methods over the years, I still use lard a lot as a base because we have organic pigs and I have lard, and have to say, I think it also adds something special to the brew. Lots of other alternatives which I am guessing you have found.

mudhenmudhen

I used the recipe from slow living essentials a few months ago, Vanessa, and was pleased with how it turned out. I thought I followed it pretty well, but mine turned out more of a solid opaque colour than the clear jelly looking green in the photos on the blog, and I don’t know enough about it to know why. My boys use it after footy and I’ve used it occasionally for bumps and bruises and it seems to work well to me, much faster recovery times than I would have expected otherwise.

VanessaVanessa

So how many leaves did you use??? and did you use young ones or the older ones??

mauzimauzi

Mudhen, the quality and amount of leaves changes the colour. Vanessa, I use a whole pot of leaves cut up and if I want a particularly strong mix I also add some grated root. Depends on the time of year you make it as well and the quality of the leaves. In some colder areas, comfrey dies back or substantially puts it’s energy into the roots and in that case it is best to use some root as well and only the best quality leaves. I mix some young and some older ones providing the older leaves are in good condition. In my experience, you can’t use too many leaves, so long as they are covered with the chosen oil.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

I make my own comfrey cream/oil too … & I didn’t follow any recipes.

I melted some coconut oil in my slow cooker and filled it to the top with comfrey that a broke/tore up.

It’s wonderful stuff. I have given some away to friends & family too, & have been asked when I am making some more.. 🙂

mauzimauzi

Yes, agree humbug, I just put as many leaves/roots as can fit in the pot and it is fantastic stuff. I have had some amazing results over the years and also use it for everything, humans and animals. It would have to be my favourite herb and remedy.

lmd80lmd80

I have now read up on this, I have comfrey and a nanna with arthritis. Has anyone used it for arthritis? Where did you get the bee wax from?

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

I don’t use beeswax.. I will try it one day though. But it is not needed to produce the oil/cream.

The coconut oil solidify’s for most of the year & in the hot months the runny liquid is used in the exact same way.

It’s quite magical isn’t it Mauzi 🙂

mudhenmudhen

Wow, thanks for all your input, Mauzi and Humbug!

Vanessa, I used mainly older leaves, as my plant isn’t yet really big, and didn’t think to chop them up, which I will definitely do next time. My plant didn’t die back in the winter, but the growth certainly slowed. I will have to try another batch with roots and younger leaves next time.

VanessaVanessa

Ok well I have some on the stove at the moment, started it in a saucepan but my electric stove doesnt go low enough and I didnt think the idea was to deep fry the leaves, so it is now in a pyrex dish in a double boiler arangement.

I have put 300mL of sunflower oil and about the same of torn up leaves, the oil is definately taking on a green colour but only lightly.

How long should I leave it on the heat to do its thing, is there something I should be looking for or just as long as I can leave it??

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Your welcome Mudhen 🙂

Vanessa.. I rarely follow recipes, so my advice is purely ‘adhock’ …

I have left my concoction in my slow cooker for days before straining it for use.. Of course I didn’t actually plan it to happen this way.. I heated it to strain into jars a few times & each time something prevented me from getting it done. So it had to wait. It turned out beautifully green and I use it daily for all sorts of things 🙂

I would leave your comfrey in the oil for a few days & let it steep & draw out the goodness from the comfrey..

I have known people to put the oil of choice in a jar with the comfrey leaves, put the lid on it & put it in a dark cupboard, shake it once or twice a day for 2 weeks and then strain it & use it.

I don’t believe there is any hard & fast rules on how to make it. Do what suits you & just work on your own technique over time.

Have fun with it 🙂

VanessaVanessa

Well I left it until the leaves looked like very well cooked spinach and the oil had a green colour and didnt seem to be getting any darker.

I strained it, added about 20g of beeswax to it heated it again to melt the beeswax then pored it into a jar.

This morning it had solidified and seemed like more of the beeswax was at the top but putting a teaspoon into it, it seemed fairly uniform.

I scooped a bit out and put it in a couple of Film containers (the old 35mm film containers), and gave one to a friend at work who is having problems with an injured wrist, then additional problems by trying not to use that hand and overworking other muscles, so I have told her to give it a try and tell me how it goes (or if it doesn’t work at all).

It seems to rub in nicely, and while it is not solid it is definately not liquid, a good consistency, for getting a “gloop” out and rubbing it in.

mauzimauzi

Sounds good Vanessa. I usually leave mine simmer for a couple of hours and find that is enough. Strain and then put in sterilised jars. I agree with Humbug, in that there are no hard and fast rules. I have used this method,bringing almost to the boil and then simmering for a couple of hours, and had some amazing, and might I say, impossible results particularly with open wounds – the healing capacity is nothing short of astounding.

lmd80lmd80

Could you use grape seed oil do you think? Where do you get coconut oil from? Do you think this would help reduce swelling/pain after wisdom teeth removal? I am having all 4 out on Friday and just realised maybe this would help? Although that only leaves me 3 days to make, not sure if that would be enough… Although planning this may make me stop thinking and worrying about going under and having 4 out!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.