Aussies Living Simply

clucky hens

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    keezawitch

I have 2 clucky hens (my best layers) and a clucky duck, how to get them off the cluck, I dont want to put eggs under them, tried with duck the eggs didnt hatch after a month and she still is clucky, biggest problem is they wont let anyone in to lay and their behaviour has put the other girls off laying

Bron

Is it warm in your neck of the woods? This is what I’ve done and found it far less stressful than a sin bin. Dip their chest area in water (cool water) and hold there for a minute or so. It reduces the temp there which may switch off the broody hormones.

Vickie

Gosh, i just posted in the chook thread, that my clucky hen had to be moved due to rain and choosing a silly place to sit, and she took ages to sit back down on her 13 eggs after i moved her. murpheys law they will do the opposite of what we want. i have heard lots of nasty tricks to get hens off the cluck.. but i have never tried any of them. The one Bron mentioned sounds the nicest of some i have read.

BlueWren

By all means try a cool bath to unbroody,but I don’t think the few days solitary confinement is too stressful on the birds, as long as the cage gives them some free movement and real security of course.I use a square cockatoo cage withe the solid clip on base replaced with a fairly large gauge wire netting, which gives plenty of head room and some space to walk around.Chook can walk on the netting, no problem.I put the cage on grass during the day and fine weather,raised up about a brick height on the corners from the grass, to get air in under the bird to reduce the body temperature.The chook can peck at the grass through the netting,to keep her busy, and gets a new spot at least every day.Because the cage has a carry handle I just put it in the laundry overnight ,raised up over newspaper.I am not advocating a really small, restricting cage. I always provide food and water as usual,some say deprive of food but I don’t see why and won’t do that.

Glad you found your girl Vickie! Hope she continues to sit OK.

keezawitch

thanks, i was thinking of isolating them, will try to give the cold water treatment on hens but i am not going to try duck, she is a touch unstabale shall we say 🙂 and likes to ahve a go at you, i will search around for another cage and put them in, would it be better to seperate them?

kerry

Vickie

BW, thanks 🙂 i was very happy to see her, and the other one we thought had been taken by an eagle turned back up too.. she must have been hiding in fear after a swoop :shrug:

so it’s good news all round here. and hoping my broody will sit still once she has rearanged her eggs for the zillionth time.. she is pushing the eggs out, and back in and out..

Ediedioh

13 is a LOT of eggs. When she had her secret nest perhaps the group was depressed so the eggs were arranged in a pile — now they’re all sitting flat with a much larger surface area and she can’t cover them all?

If she seems to keep rearranging and rearranging I’d think about taking 4 away — she’s better with 9 constantly being kept warm and humid than having 13 but each egg only receiving intermitent incubation.

Vickie

Ediedioh, thanks for that, 🙂 i thought that when i was putting the eggs in the new nest, that she had packed away too many! In the morning ill see how she is sitting, i really tried to make her a round nest and build the walls up and have it indented. But anyway, i hear you, and will take some out tomorrow if need be. I just hope that the eggs will be OK with her having hopped on an off all day.. it’s not been cold or windy today so fingers crossed :shrug:

GirlFriday

We have a cage that we put up on bricks so cool air circulates underneath it. It is roomy but boring so they quickly get over it once they cool down 🙂

keezawitch

tried the cold water dip, she enjoyed it and is still clucky, I am now on the hunt for a small cage to put them in, I am not getting any eggs even though the girls look like they should be laying, very red combs, do you think the mad cluckies are putting them off :shrug:

Bel

Vickie post=339261 wrote: Ediedioh, thanks for that, 🙂 i thought that when i was putting the eggs in the new nest, that she had packed away too many! In the morning ill see how she is sitting, i really tried to make her a round nest and build the walls up and have it indented. But anyway, i hear you, and will take some out tomorrow if need be. I just hope that the eggs will be OK with her having hopped on an off all day.. it’s not been cold or windy today so fingers crossed :shrug:

Hi Vickie, I think from memory your girl has stopped sitting now (from the chat thread). A word of advice though, for if you do get another broody to sit and put eggs under her – I wouldn’t make a deep nest or give her much litter. My last broodies accidentally killed a fair few chicks who couldn’t get out from under her and were pressed up against the sides of a deep nest. It seemed cosy when the eggs were in there, but turned into a death trap. Just my experience, though, and I’m no expert. My next broodies will have a very light amount of wood shavings and that’s all.

Bel

keezawitch post=339434 wrote: tried the cold water dip, she enjoyed it and is still clucky, I am now on the hunt for a small cage to put them in, I am not getting any eggs even though the girls look like they should be laying, very red combs, do you think the mad cluckies are putting them off :shrug:

This trick didn’t work for me either the 1st two times I tried. The last time, I held her in there for more like 3-5 minutes and it worked a treat.

Dayla

Hi, I read once in a Jackie French book how to get chooks out of being clucky. And it has worked every time for me.

Simply bring the chook into the light for 3 or more days. No secret dark places to hide.

I put them into a cage of sorts where they can see whats going on, are safe and surrounded by their mates and the day light changes the brain hormones and she soon forgets the nest, for a time.

good luck

Dayla

keezawitch

oh good, i was going to fence off a little corner of their outside run and toss them in, i will now as it will have plenty of light, i will just put a little roof on to keep them dry and hope it works.

Kerry

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.