Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Clucky hen – need more eggs!! Townsville

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE Seed Exchange and Traders Market Clucky hen – need more eggs!! Townsville

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    frogfriendlyfrogfriendly

It’s happened again. My girls only need to see a baby chicken and off they go getting all broody again. I’m pretty sure our little silkie has decided to sit today, she spent half the day on the nest and back in there tonight. Like we need more chickens but its so much fun watching them running about the yard and I am finding new homes for the others eventually. 😆

So does anyone in Townsville want to sell some fertile eggs? I have a friend who wouldn’t mind some light sussex and I wouldn’t mind black orpington (only because my grandfather talks about them). From experience with the last lot which were Jaymie’s rhode island reds, we can only fit 5 large eggs comfortably. More silkies would be okay as well or pekins, love them. Oh dear, just love chooks.

PM me if anyone has or knows of someone who has any of the above.

TullymoorTullymoor

RTB keeps Light Sussex :tup:

frogfriendlyfrogfriendly

She is definitely gone broody.

spannerspanner

Ill take a broody prone chook if you want to sell one as I am looking for a good mother for the project I was talking to you about the other day.

Cheers,

S

roundthebendroundthebend

Will have to find some way of getting light sussex eggs to you frogfriendly……………..unless you want to do a weekend drive to Ingham;)

Spanner get some light sussex they go clucky at the drop of a hat…………..have 2 i cant budge at the moment.

frogfriendlyfrogfriendly

Spanner I can never never never get rid of Peace, she is just too beautiful and quiet. I have to sort my chicks out soon and see which are keepers, eaters and going to new home ones. Need a magic wand to tell me whats a boy and whats a girl.

RTB, would love some light sussex eggs, have convinced a friend that she should really have some of these girls.

Now my hubby is going to Tinaroo on Monday and Abergowrie on Wednesday so perhaps I can convince him that he really should visit you!!!!

roundthebendroundthebend

Frogfriendly i am only a 3km detour of the abergowrie road……………could meet him at the turn off with eggs;). I’ll pm my mobile number for him to call.

spannerspanner

RTB,

Do you have any light sussexx girls you would like to part with / sell etc?

jennifer gjennifer g

why won’t my light sussex go clucky? wahhhhh..i give up!!!!

Jen

spannerspanner

jennifer g wrote:

why won’t my light sussex go clucky? wahhhhh..i give up!!!!

Jen

Do you have a nice DARK place for them to go clucky in? Also maybe put on a few fake eggs as well so there a re more eggs than just the ones she is laying.

frogfriendlyfrogfriendly

Cool RTB! I mentioned it to him this afternoon and he was half pie keen. Now that I know he actually has to go past your place there are no excuses! I’ll PM you as well.

Spanner do you want to buy some silkies?? I had a lady going to buy some of mine, but today she said they had changed their minds, due to travel commitments, lack of chook run etc. Oh well. I am pretty sure I have 1 hen, 12wks old, and possibly 2 roosters same age (yeah I know you won’t want the boys). And 3 other chicks about 8wks old, but don’t know what they are yet.

spannerspanner

Hi Froggy,

Yeah I will take one or two hens. PM me how much they are.

CHeers very much.

roundthebendroundthebend

I sold my excess girls to flicker last month spanner and i’m trying to get the 3 cluckies i have off the nest cos i think it is way too hot here to set them. Happy to set a batch for you when the weather cools again.

MuzzyMuzzy

Hi guys talking about chooks I have just got 4 light sussex not sure about 2 being roosters but one is so much larger. Can anyone tell at this young age 8-9 weeks old ? I have a pic of them on my blog if anyone would like to hazzard a guess. Cheers M

http://drywell119.blogspot.com/

frogfriendlyfrogfriendly

Is it not a good idea to let the hens go clucky this time of year RTB??

Peace is in the portable cage at present which moves around the yard but I was thinking if I got eggs to move her to a box under the verandah, where it was shadier.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.