Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

climbing plants for chook house

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up climbing plants for chook house

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I want to plant a climber to go over the chook house to keep it cool in summer, could anyone give me some suggestions as I don’t want to plant anything that is harmful to the girls?

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Passionfruit? Choko? Grapes?

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Thanks Steve, I know next to nothing about chokos, are they edible?

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

They sure are edible. I like them but many people turn their nose up at them as a vegetable. I think they find them a bit bland. They are sort of deciduous but don’t like frost. I think many people start new plants each year although they will come back from the previous year for a number of years. I believe they are even used as a substitute for stewed apples and pears and you can find many cake and muffin recipes for them.

Annette McFarlane has some info in a PDF here: http://www.annettemcfarlane.com/Stories/Choko.pdf

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

lots of people hate chokos but I love them, you can have them in stir fry, make jams and chutney and relish put them in soups curries and casseroles…. on their own they can be quite bland but bulk out a meal and take on the flavours of the dish they are in … but they are adaptable to anything even a cake …..
    QUICK CHOKO CAKE
    4 eggs separated 1½ cups arrowroot flour, ½ cup wholemeal rye flour, 2 tblspns honey, 1 cup raw chokoes
    peeled and chopped.
    Puree chokoes. Beat egg whites until stiff. Add egg yolks then flour, 1 tablespoon honey, pureed chokoes.
    Grease cake tin with honey and flour cook for about 1 hour.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

they make a yummy chutney

PinetreePinetree

I would like to join the choko appreciation club, they are sensational fried with garlic (but then what is not)!
    Just as an aside you need to protect the choko shoots from the chooks, mine hammered them.
    Cheers Pinetree

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

I agree with everyone else, choko and poultry go well together.  The poultry will eat every part of it that they can reach so you need to protect the base.

Does it have to be a climbing plant?  Could you grow a deciduous tree perhaps with some wire around the base to protect it, would that work at your property?  Mulberry trees work well for this purpose.  They grow very fast, they absolutely love the manure from the chickens, they shade well over summer, and they drop copious amounts of fruit for the animals to eat.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Thanks everyone, I will try them. We get quite a few frosts but by the sound of it they are quick growers so could replant each year if need be. Are the seeds readily available, I can’t recall seeing them in any catalogue will have to check? Now to tell DH he has more work to do

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

You get a choko and let it sprout then plant out, I have 2 in pots here just about ready to plant out…. I was given them and it was just before winter so I potted them and into the greenhouse they went.

SnagsSnags

They grow like triffids Ive got a white one
    http://plant.daleysfruit.com.au/l/white-choko1-9843.jpeg

I use the shoots in stir friys
    Luke Nguyen did a good stirfry on his show too
    http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/stir-fried-choko-beef-and-garlic-trai-su-xao-thit-bo

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I thought they only came in green.

SnagsSnags

I got an albino..lol
    Most are green I just saw this white one in a shop and sprouted and grew it.
    It hasnt fruited yet but its covered in flowers.
    Ive got it in one of my raised veg growing on a trellis,its not ideal as its taking up a bit of valuable real estate,but I will move a baby or two to a new home for  next year.

SnagsSnags

Ive got some blue butterfly pea that would go well to
    The blue flowers are edible and used as a food colouring you might get blue eggs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clitoria_ternatea

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

It looks  very pretty, mind you blue eggs aren’t so appealing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.