Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Chook shed shade

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nick CarrollNick Carroll

Two pumpkin vines have been growing up and over the chicken run and it’s providing great shade and what will hopefully be a bunch of pumpkins. The chickens have been happy in the hot days in there shade house.

I’ve tried to do this with grape vines for the last two years but the grape vines keep dying. Properly due to lack of water.

Attached files

BelBel

What a great idea Nick – looks really effective. I always intended to do something similar at the last place, but never got around to it for one reason or another. Glad to see it really works.

GirlFridayGirlFriday

Hubby ended up putting a roof complete with guttering and a tank on our chook pens (any water we can catch is gratefully received :cheer: but the sun in Summer comes up along one side of the chook house and is quite hot from sunup. I planted luffa vines along it and it has done quite well too- they are pretty hardy (read ‘weed potential if you dont keep an eye on them :S ‘ and you get luffas (loofah). The bees (native and honeybee) love the flowers which is another bonus too. I have found in dry times the chooks will eat the pumpkin vines down to nubs but leave the luffa alone.

Nick CarrollNick Carroll

Loofah are a good idea. The chicks can’t get to the pumpkin vine, as they it is fenced off. We got around 8 pumpkins off own vines, what a bonus for winter- pumpkin soap. Roasted pumpkin quich, pumpkin pie and roasted pumpkin.

GirlFridayGirlFriday

Well a quick update- I ended up getting black scale on the luffa which died, I planted a passionfruit in a pot to grow along the chook house but the damn cow broke through the hot wire and munched it down to nubs (she is lucky she gives nice milk as I was really cranky with her). So back to the drawing board for me.We still have the colourbond roof which is terrific but in Midsummer the sun comes up in a different direction and really blasts in from the side of the house so I want something along the easterly side of the house (hmm perhaps a bouganvillia)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.