Aussies Living Simply

Chook Chat Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 961 through 975 (of 1,310 total)
  • Author
    lisannelisanne

Why do chooks have such a fascination with polystyrene boxes??? gawd it’s annoying

BelBel

I wish I knew lisanne! They not only peck it, they seem to eat it as well! Surely, it can’t be good for them?! Ours will go a polystyrene box whenever they find one…..

VickieVickie

Hi Nane, welcome 🙂

I rememeber a while ago we were talking about feather loss, someone said their chooks were eating feathers. Well today mine were pecking AND EATING feathers off each others backs. :ohmy: silly things.

AND i almost want to re-name one of my girls ‘through a hedge backwards’ because she is so feral looking. :laugh:

But, finally we are getting some eggs.. i am having to be very very careful not to let them out until after lunch so they lay in the yard.. otherwise who knows where they go and hide their eggs :shrug:

rdtj04rdtj04

My lot was laying ok but out of 13 chooks I’m lucky to one egg every couple of days. I’ve put fake eggs in my nests and that only helped for a couple of weeks… One of the girls is soooo scrawny looking she’s scary! Tried wet dog biscuits as a vet once advised and that’s not working either! I’m afraid I’m about to start buying eggs… Shuddering at the thought… :sick:

RavykRavyk

They’ll be moulting, once they stop moulting they’ll start laying again.

VickieVickie

Ravyk, i agree. Moulting takes a lot out of them. As i said above, one of mine really does look like she has gone through a hedge backwards, and some are even down to skin. Luckily, mine still lay.. but no where near as much.

ALSO Ravyk.. how is baby Ember? You may have written in other threads but i missed it 🙂

RavykRavyk

She’s good Vickie. 🙂 I will put some more photos up maybe on the weekend. I’m currently on work placement for the week at a vet clinic and am so buggered each night.

VickieVickie

Ravyk, we are probably getting off the chook-ie topic, but i have done placements (teaching) and the ones i did BEFORE i had babies were much easier. Getting home after work never means you get to stop working when you have kids, and the then there is the written work to go with it in studying :angry:

I have until the end of may and then i am done with UNI :cheer: . how long have you got?

will look forward to the pics.

well back to chook talk.. the wind blew the gate open and the chooks have had a nice morning diging through my mulch :dry: .. The good thing was DH caught the rooster and i was able to clip his spurs. You should see the look big bad rooster gets on his face when he is carried around by little miss 3. He just shuts his eyes. :laugh:

i’ll put on a pic if i get time.. 🙂

BlueWrenBlueWren

My word …..little Miss 3 is a game champion chooker :laugh: ……..or rooster is very docile!!

RavykRavyk

End of the year and I finish my vet nursing cert. 1 more term of theory and the rest is work placements. I get my final assessment done in Nov. Hopefully I’ll pass then and be a fully qualified vet nurse.

VickieVickie

Ravyk.. good luck! not long at all 🙂

Blue wren, she is quite good at catching the smaller ones. The rooster is not violent at all, towards us or the kids. And he is very lovely with the chickens . I wouldn’t say he enjoys being held enough to come up to us .. but he puts up with it when we catch him 😛

BlueWrenBlueWren

All the best Ravyk for the last bits.

Nice roosters Vickie!

My new boy is very timid, and I still think he looks lonely poor boy.Perhaps my girls are just too old and wise! I still haven’t named him , just been calling hhim Roosty! – it’s going to have to be something gentle.Not sure yet if I am getting fertile eggs but he’s here to stay anyway.Haven’t looked closely at any eggs yet for the right spots.

I just rolled two eggs off the roof ……… :shrug: Have caught them all so far!!

EdiediohEdiedioh

Ravyk post=342028 wrote: I’m planning on doing a weekly blog series on Keeping chickens. Just wondering if you read it, what would you want to read about/what things would you want covered?

http://thechookchick.blogspot.com might give you some ideas…

That Chook Chick is pretty awesome 😉 😉

EdiediohEdiedioh

Vickie post=342131 wrote: Hi Nane, welcome 🙂

I rememeber a while ago we were talking about feather loss, someone said their chooks were eating feathers. Well today mine were pecking AND EATING feathers off each others backs. :ohmy: silly things.

AND i almost want to re-name one of my girls ‘through a hedge backwards’ because she is so feral looking. :laugh:

But, finally we are getting some eggs.. i am having to be very very careful not to let them out until after lunch so they lay in the yard.. otherwise who knows where they go and hide their eggs :shrug:

Feather eating? Give them a massive protein boost and don’t give them any corn until they stop doing that. I’d even go as far as feeding them raw mince for a few days — and comfrey leaves if you grow comfrey.

EdiediohEdiedioh

Just had another idea… Get band saw dust from the butchers.

Viewing 15 posts - 961 through 975 (of 1,310 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.