Aussies Living Simply

Chook Chat Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 946 through 960 (of 1,310 total)
  • Author
    BelBel

Kristy post=341957 wrote: Wow Bel she is gorgeous 🙂 I can’t wait until Hilda goes broody again so I can buy more fertile eggs…

I agree, it’s a bit addictive isn’t it! I don’t know that DH will let me get more again this spring though, we have 10 as it is and we really don’t need any more eggs!! Have you kept your 2 roos?

Hey, Bandicoot Valley – how’s Barney recovering from his fright? Did you ever work out what went on while you were away?

KristyKristy

Bel wow 10 chooks, that’s great 🙂

Still got the two roosters, noisy in the mornings now, but still undecided. I will try to take photos of them this weekend. Gorgeous boys 🙂

BlueWrenBlueWren

Bel ……what a very pretty bird ……I have a brown ‘dotte but the silvers are stunning.

Seems as though rolling eggs off the dome roof and catching them on the way down is going to be an ongoing necessity ………….at least three girls sometimes lay up there.Where they all roost on top has made quite a depression and since I have put dried grass up there to soak up the night craps it is quite an inviting place to lay eggs I have to admit!!! Unfortunately though someone up there laid an egg with a very very thin shell which was completely smashed.I’m wondering if it’s Shakira who has been moulting.I have found a few eggs too with a round , puckered soft spot one end ….very odd.They have free access to grit which gets eaten a lot but I have no idea if they all eat it.

The new rooster is very quiet indeed and to me he looks lonely – doesn’t seem to be really bonded with the girls , quite often just standing alone , and the girls seem to be completely ignoring him poor fellow! From one roo extreme to the other! At least he’s still roosting in the dome with two girls , and I think they are the outcasts that began the dome roof roosting!!

karyn26karyn26

Wow BV wish I could have come back from my holiday with some new farm friends,but they would have had to fly back,lol I was in WA.

I was looking at the farm animals in the paper over there would have liked some dorper ewes,

Well we seperated the young roosters from the hens from our hatchlings this year,we ended up with at least 10 roosters and only4 or 5 hens.

Bit disappointing but they will be put to good use and hopefully next year there will be more girls.

Our grown ups are all at different stages of moult also,and egg production is way down 2 – 5 eggs a day if that.

RavykRavyk

Bel-most likely, I found the fertile eggs through BYP.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Kristy post=341962 wrote: Bel wow 10 chooks, that’s great 🙂

Still got the two roosters, noisy in the mornings now, but still undecided. I will try to take photos of them this weekend. Gorgeous boys 🙂

No trouble from the neighbours, Kristy?

RavykRavyk

I’m planning on doing a weekly blog series on Keeping chickens. Just wondering if you read it, what would you want to read about/what things would you want covered?

BlueWrenBlueWren

Thin shells or no shells please!

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

the girls I was given before Christmas one is finally laying

Im now getting two eggs a day from 3 girls, so Im happy

bel the photo of that girl, she is gorgeous

KristyKristy

BlueWren post=342020 wrote:

Bel wow 10 chooks, that’s great 🙂

No trouble from the neighbours, Kristy?

Not yet Bluwren. I’d like to ask them, but haven’t seen them out.

lisannelisanne

I finally got some of the Apple cider vinegar and garlic mixture – what was the ratio to use in the chook water?

NaneNane

hello chook forum! I’m Nane and new, looking forward to meeting you all I’m still trying to work out how to post and where I am posting and navigate this site right now! (there is a lot to look at!) but I am very interested in everything chook, so can’t wait till I get the hang of this to read posts 🙂

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

:wave: welcome to the forum Nane.

BlueWrenBlueWren

lisanne post=342063 wrote: I finally got some of the Apple cider vinegar and garlic mixture – what was the ratio to use in the chook water?

If it’s the stock feed concentrate ACV + garlic it’s 1ml to 1litre water and I give my girls a fresh mix every day.I use a syringe, can get cheap from the chemist, to draw up two mls to a 2 litre bottle of water.I put some ACV in a smaller jar for daily use rather than having to handle the big container every time.

lisannelisanne

BlueWren post=342091 wrote:

I finally got some of the Apple cider vinegar and garlic mixture – what was the ratio to use in the chook water?

If it’s the stock feed concentrate ACV + garlic it’s 1ml to 1litre water and I give my girls a fresh mix every day.I use a syringe, can get cheap from the chemist, to draw up two mls to a 2 litre bottle of water.I put some ACV in a smaller jar for daily use rather than having to handle the big container every time.

Awesome, thanks BW!!

Viewing 15 posts - 946 through 960 (of 1,310 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.