Aussies Living Simply

Chook Chat Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 931 through 945 (of 1,310 total)
  • Author
    BlueWrenBlueWren

I think it takes quite a while until everyone is all feathered up again.Mine have never all done it at once fortunately.Two on the go at the moment.

Threw weeds over the fence today and soon seven hens and one rooster were tucking in.Where’s number eight? Couldn’t see her anywhere …….then I saw her inside the dome …….tucking into an egg! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :angry:

Three of the hens suddenly realised something interesting was happening and by the time I was through the gate and into the dome four of them were wiping their beaks on the straw and I found the remains of the egg…….

Wonder if that was a one off? Or if it’s been happening lots? The egg count hasn’t really dropped off that much as far as I know .Such a nuisance because now I shall have to make multiple egg collecting visits instead of my usual two a day.

RavykRavyk

Probably was a one off. It may have somehow gotten broken after being laid and often they cannot resist a broken egg.

I often feed broken/cracked eggs to my chooks and haven’t had any egg eating issues [yet]

Hello again. Did anyone miss me? Meh, probably not. We went for a short holiday to friends on an organic farm in the middle of Whoop Whoop. 😉

Came back to a dead chook 🙁 No idea why, will have to ask the neighbour if she noticed her unwell at all. And my rooster who was very friendly (Barney) is now very skittish. Dunno why.

On our way back I picked up 5 new turkeys! And we brought back 2 little lambs too. Very cute. :cheer:

And then today I picked up my new incubator. Hoorah!

BlueWrenBlueWren

Could the chook have met with foul play , and Barney had a fright?

The neighbours were looking after them for us. I think she may not have even noticed one of them being a little quiet. She was a 3yo ISA rescue chook from a free range egg farm, so who knows? I couldn’t see anything on her body. I’m guessing she died yesterday.

As for Barney, they have a dog & I know they bring her with them when they come over here & it could have been that, or their children could have harrassed him a bit, I’m not sure. Barney had a sore eye when we left so I’d put him in the aviary with the chicks to eat their food for a wee antibiotics dose, which seems to have done him well (or maybe it was the colloidal silver I squirted in his eye before we left), so he was easily accessible to the children & being the friendly one in with very skittish chicks… I really don’t know. I’ll be giving him some treats & some gentle stroking to get him confident with us again.

BlueWrenBlueWren

I think 3 is quite a long life for an ISA, so she may have just keeled over without looking ill.Your suspicions re Barney sound likely , especially if dogs and kids are alien creatures for him, poor boy.

lisannelisanne

I have Eggs!!! I got my very own egg hunt for Easter! This morning when I let them out only 2 went the normal direction which made me go hunting for the third chook – I found her sitting on the compost heap. I shoo’ed her away and found 2 eggs and then went back later after a heap of noise and found another egg. Last time they started laying not in the laying box I put a rock in the spot and they went back to the box so I’ve done the same thing today so hopefully tomorrow they will be back in the laying box.

RavykRavyk

The Easter chicken visited me! She left me a lovely dark chocolate coloured egg and a green egg! 😀

BlueWrenBlueWren

Are the dark ones Barnie eggs, Ravyk! I was hoping my Barnies would lay eggs like that.If I had kept BB BBB I might have achieved that as he was from the old dark laying strain.

The new roo is perfect! He’s still roosting IN the dome with two girls, good boy.

RavykRavyk

They’re French Marans eggs, which are another really dark egg layer. The green one is from my Araucana.

VickieVickie

BV, enjoy your lambs :laugh: we got 2 girls last spring, with the full plan to eat them by now.. but they are just pets now :shrug: 🙂

My lot are still dropping feathers all over the place, and i have to go hunting for the rare egg. :shrug:

we lost another boy over the fence, it seems with all the feathers they drop this time of year you need to keep up with cutting the new growth so they cant fly.. 🙁

EdiediohEdiedioh

Stunning brown eggs Ryv’ what number are they on the colour scale? Whose line do you have? Do you ever sell fertile eggs?

RavykRavyk

Ediedioh post=341939 wrote: Stunning brown eggs Ryv’ what number are they on the colour scale? Whose line do you have? Do you ever sell fertile eggs?

No idea sorry. I don’t have a colour scale. They come from a guy who lives north of Adelaide. I only hatched them last Oct so and I don’t have a Marans rooster at the moment, so no fertile eggs.

BelBel

They are gorgeous eggs Ravyk! I nearly bought some fertile maran eggs from a guy north of Adelaide myself – I wonder if it was the same guy! Advertised on Backyard Poultry….

Here’s our little silver-laced Wyandotte born on New Years day. Pretty sure now she’s a hen. All the babes are starting to get their cackle in now, and they sound so funny! :laugh:

KristyKristy

Wow Bel she is gorgeous 🙂 I can’t wait until Hilda goes broody again so I can buy more fertile eggs…

Viewing 15 posts - 931 through 945 (of 1,310 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.