Aussies Living Simply

Chook Chat Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 916 through 930 (of 1,310 total)
  • Author
    BlueWrenBlueWren

Vickie…… :hug: :hug: :hug: not crazy, just a true chooken person.

I rang my chook keeping neighbours this evening……..and it seems likely that a fox did visit, caught the extra black chook, and all mine somehow escaped……….the two nearest neighbours don’t have any black chooks.I’m suspecting the one in my yard could have come from elsewhere during a fox attack.Years ago I once found a very traumatised chook sitting on my car bonnet …..it was the day that one’s owner lost a chook in a day time fox raid.

I have never left mine free before while I’ve been out , although I don’t think it would make any difference to the result of an attack if I was home.Looks as though that’s the end of the free ranging and that these young ones will have to stay in their little pen until I put them with the main flock.DH did rig up a very small temporary run, so perhaps I can extend that and at least let them in there when I am working nearby.I’ll take down the wire separating them from the next broody pen too and that will at least double their space.

Hopefully the fox resistant fencing will protect the dome roof dwellers……

lisannelisanne

Awwww Vickie 🙁 This weekend I’m heading away and my neighbour came over yesterday as he is going to let my chookies out in the morning and lock them up at night and he is a newbie with chooks (he’s amazed he doesn’t have to round them up at night!! and also relieved!!)

We were standing in the backyard and he was just watching them running around doing their chookie things and his comment was ‘wow, they really could be quite good pets couldn’t they!’ and my reply was ‘they are really good pets and very entertaining!’

Still no eggs – :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

BelBel

Bandicoot Valley post=341153 wrote: For those with ducks – do you have to hunt around all over the yard for eggs, or do they lay in a regular spot? We’ve had no more since the two in the yard the other day.

Lucky used to lay hers all over the yard. Normally hidden. She liked to hide them under the raspberry canes in particular. She would lay in the same hidden spot until I found a clutch a few days later, then moved to a new spot. She would recycle her favourite spots, but not lay in the same place if I had just stolen her eggs from there. She would, however, lay in her night yard if I didn’t let her out too early in the morning. This worked the best for knowing where her eggs were.

BelBel

lisanne post=341194 wrote: Still no eggs – :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Lisanne – are your chooks moulting by any chance? Most of my chooks are going through a heavy moult and I’m not getting any eggs from those chooks. It’s common this time of year….

VickieVickie

Mine are all moulting . and have lots of new feathers (which i think are lots of fun to hunt for and look at :laugh:

But mine are not laying at all. i thought it was becuase we have had a few sickies and deaths this week that others maybe were upset :blush: Had to get my husband to axe another girl today, she had a really bad growth/infection on on her eye 🙁

BlueWrenBlueWren

🙁 🙁 Vickie …….

BBBBB has gone back to where he came from , and I have the new roo.He comes with an excellent reference so hopefully he will live up to it.Haven’t decided on his name yet.He’s not from the same old strain as BBBBB – and I’m wondering if that is why he was more aggressive , not so much show breeding gone into him perhaps.The old Barnevelder strain is renowned for darker eggs and more eggs , so I guess I have just had to make a compromise over that.

I released him into the dome last night with four girls I had managed to shut in there, but have decided not to try penning them up for a couple of weeks.Just too awkward to get in and out of the dome to feed, water get eggs etc and not have anyone make a dash for it.I probably won’t shut them up at night any more either with only one or two roosting in the dome.So far so good with any foxes around.

I did let the new roo and girls out quite late today, and have kept my distance while he gets used to his new home.If the girls can’t get to the nest box, as happens of course if the dome door is shut overnight, there’s a patch of long overhanging grass where they sometimes lay , which is fine by me……….but today I found an egg on the dome roof!!! :jawdrop: Really hope that’s a one off.I had to gently roll it off with the broom and then fortunately I was able to catch it on the way down!! :laugh: Today I have put some dried grass clippings on the roof , at least that might mop up some of the crap!!

lisannelisanne

omg Moulting! That’s probably it! Bessies tail feathers are looking a bit ragged so it could be that. Pick the first time chook owner :wave: :wave:

Should I feed them some extra goodies during this time?

lisannelisanne

vickie you aren’t having a good run 🙁

BW an egg on the roof??? Oh dear!!

VickieVickie

lisanne, nope not having a good run at all.. but.. it’s all learning.. and i just hope that all the bad things that have happened to our chooks in the last year will make us better at caring for them in the future.

RavykRavyk

lisanne, a little bit of extra protein wouldn’t hurt for moulting chooks. A couple of mine are explosively moulting at the moment. They look so moth eaten and it looks like a fox has been through our yard with the number of feathers out there!

Well I may have learnt my lesson about not clipping one of my hen’s wings! She ended up over the fence the other day…and when we were trying to catch her, she flew up onto our garage roof!

I also found a home for my other rooster. 🙂 He’s off to his own flock on 25 acres. Bit sad to see him go, he was so pretty.

BlueWrenBlueWren

He’ll be a very happy boy!But I expect you will miss him for a while.

BlueWrenBlueWren

I think “chickens” are messing with my head! :ohmy:

I made chicken stock yesterday with the bones from store bought meat chooks ……..and last night I dreamt that when I went to feed my chooks there was a very fresh pink carcass in the run , just the bones, one of my chooks was missing ……poor litle Shakira Sussex……..and all the others were looking very smug and pleased with themselves…..

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

On a brighter note the new roo and two girls are roosting IN the dome, clever chooks , so I am shutting them in at night , security being their reward!

BobbeeBobbee

Glad things are looking up on the chooken front BlueWren. :tup:

But I think you need a holiday, dreaming of chookens indeed, and cannabal chookens at that!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BlueWrenBlueWren

Bobbee …….my whole life is pretty much a holiday.Retirement is worth waiting for!!! :tup:

lisannelisanne

OMG My backyard looks like a feather doona has exploded!! How long do they moult for?

Viewing 15 posts - 916 through 930 (of 1,310 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.