Aussies Living Simply

Chook Chat Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 886 through 900 (of 1,310 total)
  • Author
    RavykRavyk

I was going to go to sell a few of my chooks, but couldn’t get up early enough [I’d have had to be up at 5:30am to get ready and get there by 7]. I don’t understand why they start so early for the sellers!

Vickie, does she seem in anyway paralyzed? She could have an early onset of Mareks disease but I’m not an expert on it by far. Maybe pop over to Backyard Poultry and ask there.

Hi Rayvk, lovely to see you on here again. xx :kiss:

I bought a new SLW cockerel today & 4 new saxony ducks with better colouring than my existing ones, so I’m selling a couple of trio’s of my first lot if anyone is interested. I wouldn’t recommend them for showing, but they’re still a lovely dual purpose breed.

Here’s my new boy who has been creatively named Silver :blink:

And the new ducks

BlueWrenBlueWren

Ravyk post=340895 wrote: I was going to go to sell a few of my chooks, but couldn’t get up early enough [I’d have had to be up at 5:30am to get ready and get there by 7]. I don’t understand why they start so early for the sellers!

Well, you are a bit spoilt…….sellers have to be at Nanango Markets by 6.00am!

VickieVickie

Thanks for the replies.

I guess, technically i didn’t really take her away from the others in the first place, she took herself in there, i just shut the door 😛 so in the last few days i have let her out in the day, and it seems to beworking well. I give her all the best scraps in the morning, and she can eat in peace without being knocked over.

She still has little naps mid walk when she is out, and still falls over a little. But has got no worse in the last little while :shrug:

Ravyk, i just assumed any trouble she was having was from her being wing being injured when she was young? its the same side. will look up the para thing you mentioned though.

BV, nice rooster! and ducks!!! lucky you !

BelBel

Nice chooks and ducks BV. How old is Silver? I’m still working on the assumption that my SLW is a hen, but will help if I can compare her with another. Mine’s about 12 weeks old I think, not much of a comb to speak of. She doesn’t have the different tail feathers like your roo does either, but I wonder if that’s cos she’s not old enough to tell yet?

RavykRavyk

Bel, do you have a photo of her?

Bel, I think the seller said Silver hatched in November. I don’t recall exactly though as I’ve been talking about when the ducks all hatched too. Can you post an updated picture of your SLW?

Oh, I have a pic of Barney for you too – he’s such a lovely, happy little fellow. Getting some lovely green to his long tail feathers. He’s a beautiful boy & very friendly.

Sold my first trio of ducks today. Just as we found our first two eggs laid by them. One was a beautiful blue egg.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Oh BV He’s the kind of Barnie I need! My BBBBB Barnevelder has gone for me again on a couple of occasions, but I always carry a soft straw type broom now, and he still crows whenever he sees me and drives the girls off food sometimes.The breeder is bringing another one to swap with him sometime this week.So I’m really hoping he will be a nicer bird.I guess I’ll have to keep that one anyway.

How can four chooks roosting on the dome roof do so much crap in one night!! :jawdrop: I have to sweep it off every morning……lovely.And of course the sloppier ones just mess up the tarp when I do that. :sick: :sick: Suppose I’ll have to extend the hose and give the roof a good wash………..chooks!!

BlueWrenBlueWren

Oh My!! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Just went to shut up the chooks , the good ones in the dome………….AND ALL SEVEN plus BBBBB ARE ON THE ROOF!!!!! Except for one poor little lonely thing inside on the perch…..

I give up……..resigned to be a crap sweeper-offer……..

lisannelisanne

oh dear BW!! It truely is amazing how much chooks crap!!

BelBel

Thanks for the updated photo of Barney, BV. He looks lovely – I could hardly recognise him. I’m glad he’s still friendly.

Oh, BW, you poor thing. You do make me laugh though. I hope they sort their poo out soon so you can stop your daily sweeping!

BlueWrenBlueWren

I think it’s always going to be a case of ” Am chook – Will Crap” …….. 🙁

……and THEY have to sit in that all night …… :sick: :sick: :sick: I can just imagine it……they are REALLY close together……

“Fifi ….be careful where you crap please.” “Shakira …that was gross ..don’t eat so much chick weed tomorrow ” ” BBBBB ….. not in the bed ,please…….MEN!” “Lady Ping….not so classy now, eh? Just have to crap up here like the rest of us” “Crumpet……..I told you that caterpillar wouldn’t agree with you.” “Carla ……..you crapped all over my head! At least stay sitting down…” ” Milly……that’s the tenth time you’ve crapped tonight…”

Tulip inside …”.Thank the chicken gods there’s a tarp above me! “

Question …….if they are not on a perch ,do chooks have to stand up to crap? If so no-one’s going to get much sleep …….

VickieVickie

Some of mine sleep on the floor of the tank.. they seem to take it in turns.. and they do get poo-ed on. Raking out the tank is not nice. they really do stink hey! :sick:

BlueWrenBlueWren

I’m trying to work out a way to catch chook poo as I brush it off a curved surface on the top of a high dome.May as well make the most of a crap situation…….I think it would be best done with two people, a brusher-offer and a catcher …….wearing gloves and a motor cycle helmet.I have yet to suggest that to DH………. :shrug:

KristyKristy

I raised the funny situation at work with my roosters starting to get a bit “active” with the girls and the male duck trying to drown the female duck in the little pond… Very active at the moment.

Anyway they mentioned that none of them will be eating my eggs, since they will be fertile. What are your thoughts on this? I don’t know what to do. I know I probably should get rid of the roosters, but they are such gorgeous fella’s…

Viewing 15 posts - 886 through 900 (of 1,310 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.