Aussies Living Simply

Chook Chat Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 1,310 total)
  • Author
    BelBel

BlueWren post=332520 wrote: Are those two the same age Bel? Chubby chick is so much more feathered …….have I made this up, that hens feather up faster than roosters? :shrug:

I went to check on my mammas an hour or so ago.They looked very alert and I could hear a really loud tap tap tap tap…………if it was a chick pipping it was incredibly loud!! Don’t know what else it could have been.Chicks are definitely due.

Yeah, they’re the same age. It’s funny, they’ve looked very different right from hatching. The skinny one seems to have different shaped wings – sort of shorter I guess. It is also lighter in colour and has less markings. Time will tell I suppose. Interesting to know if someone knows whether hens feather up quicker.

Excited to hear about your chicks. Keep us posted!

espinay2espinay2

Just showing off the new brooder/broody box my OH made me 😛 He made it out of a $17 wooden bookshelf from Bunnings and a few odd bits and pieces of wood he had in the shed. Painted with some fence paint. Love my OH :hug:

Some of the current lot of Bantam Faverolles chicks. Mostly males unfortunately.

BelBel

Great looking brooder box espinay – I’m jealous! Cute chicks too. How do you tell between the sexes at a young age??

VickieVickie

bel/espinay,i was going to ask the same thing.. how can you tell sex so early??? I have 27 chicks to check :dry: so hopefully it’s a quick process :laugh:

Blue wren,was reading your other thread before and came here to check if you had any news ?? was the tap tap sound the chickies???

Also love all the current chick pics… keep them coming 🙂

lisannelisanne

awwwww chickys!!! cuuuuuuuuuute!! Last night I had to secure my chooks to the back 2/3 of the backyard as I had someone coming in to paint my pergola – they were less than impressed but soooooo happy once they could roam around again!

IdunaIduna

My broody is sitting on a batch of eggs that have started to pip so they should start hatching out tomorrow and Wednesday.

espinay2espinay2

Salmon faverolles are easy to sex – the black ones are male and the brown are female 😛 You can start to tell in the first week when their feathers start to grow.

My next lot of eggs go in the hatcher tonight (day 18). I will be hatching pretty much every week for the next few weeks. Love those chickies! 😆

BlueWrenBlueWren

I was beginning to think that chicks weren’t going to happen but as I approached the broody pens this am I heard a familiar “cheep cheep cheep” – so pleased! Only three hatched from nine eggs but with a disabled rooster and the predators it could have been none.Two eggs had been broken by rat/snake, one chick failed to get clear of the shell – pity, lovely big one – and the other three had not developed.

Crumpet is the dark Barnevelder and Carla the paler one.Carla is more active than Crumpet, who seems to like to just sit and call the babies to her.I have reorganised their feed station, that plate was never going to work.

Fifi’s chicks are due in a few days,but she only has four eggs left, so hopefully she will hatch a couple.

That’s so handy that boy and girl Salmon Favs are different colours!! Is that clever breeding?

KristyKristy

Cute little babies bluewren.

With the food for the babies, I found a a large stainless steel dog bowl worked really well, as it was a non spill bowl, so the mother hens and babies can’t stand on it and tip all the food out. Works wonderfully 🙂

BlueWrenBlueWren

It’s not so much spilled feed that’s my problem. What do you folk use for chick bedding? Whatever I use – in the past I have used wood shavings, shredded paper,short dried grass, straw and currently organic sugar cane mulch – but the hens always scratch so much that they fill up the feed and water points with their bedding,even hanging ones.I have to put feed and water up on a ledge at the front of the pens which means I have to provide a way for the cicks to get there while they are still little!

Looks as though Crumpet is going to be the main caregiver – the chicks are definitley favouring her and she does seem to be the one calling them to food .I might put Carla back with the flock in a day or two.

I have had this problem with my silky x chicks, mum is such a good hen teaching the chics all that chooky stuff that feed n water bowls r full of dirt n bits, I have put a dripper bottle on the cage n took a couple days but today the chicks n mum were drinking out of it. (Had bowl as well till they get used to it) should stop the mess in water prob.

KristyKristy

Bluewren I just scrape top off the food bowl, but water when real little was cut off container, which I refilled once a day as it was full of junk, now they have dropper for water

VickieVickie

i don’t have any food plates or bowls for our chickens, my kids and i feed the chooks first thing in the morning and again in the late afternoon. My daughters love feeding them.. we throw the pellets straight onto the pen floor.

If we are home, we feed them at lunch time too, and all our kitchen scraps, scraps from friends, family, kinder etc etc just get thrown out on the pen floor.

In the chick pens i keep water far away from their ‘bed’. And for all the beds/egg box, we use pea straw or hay.

Blue wren, so happy to see you have some chicks, 🙂 hopefully you get a few more from the other 4 still yet to hatch 🙂

karyn26karyn26

Congrats on the chicks BW.Our broody RIR hatched out 4 chicks-not her babies she just the surrogate-the other eggs we put in the incubator incase they’re late hatchers.

So even if the weather isnt favouring my vegies it’s certainly favouring the hatching chicks.

BelBel

Gorgeous chicks Bluewren! So glad you got some to hatch. Not sure what’ll happen now my 2 broodies have mixed up all the eggs.. Oh well, will wait and see…

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 1,310 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.