Aussies Living Simply

Chook Chat Thread

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,310 total)
  • Author

So many chicken threads, but I couldn’t find a chicken chat thread. So here it is. Share photo’s, ask questions, talk about your poultry antics or about what breeds you have.

Stoked to say I’ve had another 2 hens go broody today! They’re a Plymouth Rock & a Silver Laced Wyandotte (the third of my four of them to go broody this spring – so far). They’re nesting together in an old milk urn, so I moved them up to the little cubby house tonight that they will be sharing with the mama hen (SLW) with her 10 chicks, and the other broody SLW sitting on 16 eggs due to hatch next Friday. No idea how many eggs the two hens are sitting on, but I’m assuming not many as they’ve only been on since yesterday arvo. I’ll add some more eggs tomorrow if they don’t take my hand off while I do it!

Gotta love spring chickens!

BlueWrenBlueWren

Sounds like a busy time ahead for you! :laugh: I’ll add some photos of my girls and Mr Clogs tomorrow.

KasaliaKasalia

We have finally let Mum and bubs (australorps) out of their enclosure within the big enclosure this past week :clap: . The other hen is now pecking at our baby :angry: (4weeks old) I am trying to look upon this as pecking order but a few times have stopped it with a stick.

Its not like it has never seen it half the time it flew over into their small enclosure and slept in the same pen.

We had a big fright two nights ago as a fox :ohmy: plucked out the mother around the neck from her airline box. I heard a squawk of desperation at 5 am. by the time I got up and turned the light on the fox had dropped our Mama and she walked on water across and down the pond out of the enclosure and baby had run to the gate and hiding in the net of a fruit tree.

Talk about lucky, Mr K had a light on the fox eyes in a bunch of plants on the other side of the enclosure how the fox got there beats me. Mind you this is in the middle of surbubia. :blink: So now we shut the doors of the two roosts at night.

Mama had set herself up in the middle of the tree netting last night, there was no way she wanted to go back in her little box. 😆

So we have survived the night with not much sleep as I kept getting up to turn the outside light on. 😆 I know they are safe but ……

espinay2espinay2

Firing up the new ‘bator at the moment to hatch eggs 🙂 I have Bantam Salmon Faverolles and will hatch some of them and hopefully some Belgian d’Uccles too. Fingers crossed of success. OF course this would be the time my Favs decide to go on a ‘go slow’ egg-wise, after laying consistently all winter! :pinch:

BelBel

I picked up a dozen fertile eggs from a friend at work today. I’ll move my 2 broodies tonight. Fingers crossed they sit tight!

Unbelievably, I think I have yet another broody hen today! My little pekin spent much of yesterday in there, got off in the arvo & she’s in there again now! I’m running out of broody hen space!

We’re building the new chook yard at the moment. Thinking of using big plastic containers for the nest boxes. They’re 20 litre (I think) ex detergent containers. Will they be big enough? What’s the average nest box size?

BlueWrenBlueWren

Bandicoot Valley post=327414 wrote: Unbelievably, I think I have yet another broody hen today! My little pekin spent much of yesterday in there, got off in the arvo & she’s in there again now! I’m running out of broody hen space!

We’re building the new chook yard at the moment. Thinking of using big plastic containers for the nest boxes. They’re 20 litre (I think) ex detergent containers. Will they be big enough? What’s the average nest box size?

I doubt there is one!! All five of my broodies were very content in mower catchers,one each in a separate pen , and they were quite big birds.All nine of them lay in one catcher now, sometimes three in there at once but they don’t seem to mind!!

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Have 5 Welsummer chickens, friend had a Welsummer rooster, but no chickens. So, we’ve introduced the rooster to the chickens. Idea is that rooster will stay a few weeks, neighbour will take the eggs and incubate them and we’ll both get a couple of chickens out of the exercise with a bit of luck. She’s welcome to the roosters to do with as she will.

Having never had much to do with this kind of thing, I have a few questions which I just know ALS folk will be able to help me out with.

1. How long after introduction of rooster would eggs become fertile?

2. How long after rooster leaves will fertile eggs be produced?

3. What do I need to do with the eggs I’m collecting before they get incubated? How do I store them and where?

B

BlueWrenBlueWren

A few pics as promised.

Mr Clogs and Lady Ping.

We like yoghurt!

Fifi brrody in mower catcher.

Free range chooks, South Burnett Permaculture Group outing.

Free range happy hour.

espinay2espinay2

Lady B post=327421 wrote:

1. How long after introduction of rooster would eggs become fertile?

2. How long after rooster leaves will fertile eggs be produced?

3. What do I need to do with the eggs I’m collecting before they get incubated? How do I store them and where?

B

1. Wait about 2 weeks before collecting for hatching

2. About 2 to 3 weeks on average after he is removed

3. Put them in an egg carton, pointy end down, in a cool place where there is minimal temp fluctuations (I use my walk in pantry). Raise one end of the carton up about an inch or so. Each AM and PM, swap ends so it tips the other way (I mark ‘AM Down’ on one end and ‘PM Down’ on the other so I remember which is which! :laugh: ). You do this to stop the yolk sticking (just like you do when incubating). You can keep eggs about 6 days this way before incubating without too much effect on the eggs. 10 days is about the max (but I wouldnt leave it that long if I could help it)

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Thanks for that comprehensive reply. Much appreciated.

Another one. Can you start off an incubation and then add more eggs as you get them or do they all have to start together?

RavykRavyk

You really want them to start off all together preferably. If using an incubator [not a broody hen] you can stagger hatches, just remember which are which, as you need to turn incubated eggs until day 18 of incubation.

Under a hen you definitely want all the eggs put under her at once. She will leave the eggs once the majority of the chicks have hatched.

RavykRavyk

I currently have 6 day old chicks to slip under a hen tonight! They’re pekin/silkie/something small crosses and are so cute and tiny compared to my 2 week old filth monsters in the brooder!

My other broody is on 11 fertile eggs from Bandicoot Valley [with a few ring ins I think as my hens keep laying in her box]. She turfed one egg [silkie or pekin I think] out a few days ago from the dozen.

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Thanks, I think I’m sorted for the minute, then. Now to just hope that they lay like crazy for a few days.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 1,310 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.