Aussies Living Simply

Chook Chat Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 497 total)
  • Author
    froot_loopzfroot_loopz

it appears my girls have finally gone off the lay, after 18 months of constant eggs. just getting 1 usually a day or 3 once a week.

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

I have one chook, that has started laying again, but she is laying rather pale, rough eggs.

Is it something I should be concerned about. The other two are laying nice brown eggs.

they have access to shell grit, when they want it, and fresh water.

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

I have a chicken sitting on eggs. One hatched yesterday morning, the other 3 eggs are still under the chicken but haven’t hatched. There’s a small hole in one of the eggs, but I can’t tell whether it’s from something pecking from the inside or whether splawfoot chook has stuck her toe in it. (she did have 8 eggs under her and smashed 4 of them early on which is why I call her splawfoot)

What should I do? How can I even tell if there’s a life chick in there?

Jenoka77Jenoka77

Lady B is there anyway you can candle them to see if there is any life in there. You should still be able to see movement

Fingers crossed

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Sadly, the other 3 eggs showed no signs of life. 🙁

I was actually surprised to get any to hatch as we’ve had a couple of good thunderstorms whilst chicken was sitting.

I have more eggs ready, just need another one to go clucky.

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

After several attempts at letting a broody sit on eggs and getting 1 chick (if I’m lucky!!) out of starting off with 12 eggs, I gave up and bought an incubator. Just a little one, will only fit 9 Welsummer eggs.

Today is hatching day. Two of them have already hatched and a third egg has a ‘bulge’ as though something has had a bit of a poke from the inside.

As coincidence would have it, 2 weeks ago, another chicken went broody, so I let her sit on a couple of plastic eggs and then a couple of days ago, snuck 2 of the eggs that have been incubating under her and took the plastic ones away. Hoping she’ll hatch those two and maybe I can sneak the chicks that hatch from the incubator under her.

lavmanlavman

After several attempts at letting a broody sit on eggs and getting 1 chick (if I’m lucky!!) out of starting off with 12 eggs, I gave up and bought an incubator. quote]

:laugh: We went the other way, we got sick of trying to get results from an incubator so we now use bantam hens with a good success rate.

Good luck with the hatching, I know what it’s like waiting for another egg to hatch, sounds like a good trick using the broody hen, even if hers don’t hatch you could still slip the chicks under her at night time.

BelBel

Sounds like a plan Lady B. I’ve had mixed results from my broodies this year. I have also been buying fertile eggs pre-incubated from a seller in Adelaide. He candles for fertility before giving them to me, then I slip them under the hen to continue sitting for a few more weeks. Aside from some that have trouble hatching (this seems to happen regardless of method), I get a very good hatch rate. I have not, however, had any luck slipping hatched chicks under a mum… ever. I’m sure it can be successfully done though. Good luck – let us know how it all goes.

missy71missy71

We are new to this whole broody chicken thing and we have not had much luck so far.

We had a RIR rooster with two Sussex hens and a half dozen commercials. One commercial went broody and hatched one egg out of the half dozen she was sitting on (she had over a dozen at one stage and we joked about her wanting to raise her own army), but the chick must have been weak because it was always out from under her and did not seem to want to stand up. It died the following day. She later hatched a second egg and the chick was nice and healthy, unfortunately it was missing 3 weeks later from the separate pen we had chick and mum in so we think a python or goanna got it. Both Sussexes went broody within a week of each other. One hatched one chick but the chick decided it didn’t want her to be its mum so it adopted the other Sussex. That third chick is now almost 3 months old and is doing well. Except mum has decided to go broody again and is sitting on nothing, much to the chick’s annoyance because mum won’t let it sit on her back or nestle in underneath.

We got 4 Dorkings and a Dorking rooster on the weekend so RIR rooster had to go (he was a Mr Cranky Pants fellow). The commercials will eventually go to make way for more Sussexes. Our aim is to raise chickens for eating and maybe sell off a few to neighbours but making money isn’t our aim, rather, it’s about saving money on our grocery bill. The kids enjoyed watching the eggs hatch and following the development of the chicks, too.

It’s an interesting journey we’ve started on and I’m looking forward to seeing where we end up 🙂

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

We now have 5 little chicks. I think there’s 3 boys and 2 girls. Dammit!

Tried putting one of the chicks under the broody, but she wasn’t having any of it. So, all 5 are residing in a large box in the bathroom under a lamp. They seem quite comfortable, nibbling on crumbles, pooping everywhere. Never realised little things created so much poop!

Still 4 eggs in the incubator (I brought 2 back from the broody when I tried to give her the chick instead, and 2 that were already in the incubator). Suspect that none of them will hatch now – since Sunday was day 21.

BelBel

Glad you got some eggs to hatch Lady B. They sure do poo a lot, don’t they?! Our hand-raised chickens from seasons past are lovely hens now. They always stop for a pat and come up to us when we have scraps. Sorry to hear your hen wouldn’t take the other chicks – I don’t know how others get them to accept the chicks as I’ve never had any luck either.

I’ve also started on our journey of being ‘chicken self-sufficient’. I’ve now killed, cleaned and eaten 3 adult roosters and will do the same when our boy chicks start crowing. I think I’ve got a higher hen-rooster ratio, but it’s still hard to tell.

On a side note, where is the crop located in small chicks – is it slightly to the side? The chicks were hungry today and ate a heap of grain. The side of their necks swelled a lot and almost looked like an abscess. On closer inspection, I could see grain through the thin skin, so assume it’s their crop. Just weird that it’s to the side?

bushybushy

Yep, the crop is always to the side, even in adult birds.

BelBel

bushy post=360064 wrote: Yep, the crop is always to the side, even in adult birds.

thanks bushy. You learn something new every day! Its not so obvious on the big girls but these chicks are at the inbetween stage where they’ve lost down but haven’t grown all their feathers yet. Looks rather odd when they eat a lot at once!

IdunaIduna

My hand raised chicks were always nicer than the hen raised ones.

I lost one of my girls yesterday, she died in the last afternoon while trying to lay an egg, at 4:30 she was walking around all fine but by 7:30 she had died in her nest under the coop. So I’m down to three birds and only two of them lay sometimes.

BelBel

My hens have started moulting 🙁 An egg a day is all we are getting from our 9 hens and 18 big chicks….

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 497 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.