Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Chook Chat Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 497 total)
  • Author
    EdiediohEdiedioh

Went out to feed the chooks this morning and came across a devestating sight. My lovely rooster has been absolutely savaged all over his head and neck.

He’s lost an eye and I doubt he’ll survive (although I think it would have occured yesterday so he has made it through one cold night).

2 eggs have gone from the nest and one egg shell was in the pen all mangled and empty.

People around here are suggesting currawongs?! I can’t beleive the damage they have done to him. He must have been defending the eggs for a long time. I’m at work and just want to go home to him.

MiaowzenMiaowzen

That’s awful, I am so sorry 🙁

Oh Ediedioh, I’m so sorry to hear that. Poor roo. What sort is he? We have currawongs here but they’re scavengers, not attackers. I’m not sure if they’d fight, the ones here would just take off if challenged by a rooster. I guess you’ll never know. 🙁 How is he tonight? How are you?

Jenoka77Jenoka77

I’m so sorry to hear that Ediedioh. Your roo was very brave to protect the eggs like that. I wish him a speedy recovery. If that is not possible then I wish he passes peacefully and proudly like the warrior he is.

Hugs to you and your family

RavykRavyk

🙁 Sorry to hear that Edie. Hopefully he’ll pull through for you.

VickieVickie

Edie, how awful. It sounds very suspicious, did you say you were in southern VIC, or i may have you confused with someone else? Maybe is was a cat? or a bird of prey that didn’t win?

What a brave rooster, you should be very proud of him, whatever it is was that got him.

Let us know how you are and how he is :hug:

BlueWrenBlueWren

Yes , how are you both this evening. :hug: Currawongs do have awful beaks but I haven’t heard of them attacking anything like that. Could it have been a dog , big enough to savage your roo but not large enough to kill him outright? But I doubt a dog would go for eggs. Do you have goannas? They can get very big.

VickieVickie

I am not trying to be disagreeable BW 😉 but my dogs would often find our hens nests before we did and eat lots of eggs. Or did you mean a dog wouldn’t fight a roo to get into eggs?

BlueWrenBlueWren

Really? I didn’t know dogs would find/eat eggs like that! But I just meant fighting a roo for eggs.

How is your poor roo , Edie?

EdiediohEdiedioh

Nothing has been under or through the 2.5m high pen fence. It had to come from above which is why I’m thinking birds. Long time locals all say carrawongs. Apparently they do the cruelest things to calves and lambs so a rooster wouldnt be too daunting and definitely eat eggs.

EdiediohEdiedioh

Mister Mister is a very sad sight but he did roost. Hens don’t go near him. I’m trying to ensure he gets enough water to get a good dose of the antibiotics.

Tomorrow I’ll give him a bath if hell let me do I can see properly how bad the wounds are. Right now he’s all caked in blood. I’m waiting for my dad to get here to help me put up bird netting.

RavykRavyk

:hug: glad he survived the night.

Could have been crows, they can be evil bastards 👿 I didn’t think currawongs would take on a rooster…at least not the ones around my area.

VickieVickie

Bluewren, oh yeah, my late staffy was the worst… but he was a shocking liar, and always had stupid ears on when he came out of bushes after eating eggs.. so he gave himself away a LOT :laugh:

Edie, i hope Mister mister cleans up ok today 🙂 .

My Mr Pots is off to auction tomorrow. Poor boy, but he just isn’t getting along with the boss. And honestly the boss, Flynn, is the most quiet humble rooster i have ever had, so it’s weird seeing him cranky. I feel like putting ‘child friendly rooster’ on Mr Pots cage at the auction 😛 becuase he really is lovely with us, just not his fellow birds :dry:

BelBel

Best of luck with Mister mister ediedioh. We’ll be thinking of you and your poor roo.

I had a bad experience when introducing a new flock of young hens to an existing flock of mixed isabrowns/australorps. They did not integrate well and got quite severely pecked. One poor young hen had a gaping open wound on the top of her head – I was so sure that she would die and asked at my local fodder store whether I should put her out of her misery quickly and kindly. The fodder-store-guy told me that chooks can survive what appear to be quite severe wounds and gave me some tar paste to put on her wounds. I isolated her and to my surprise, she gradually improved and her wound healed on its own. She became very friendly and bonded with us because she was reliant on us for food etc and didn’t have her friends with her. Now she has a featherless patch of skin on her head and occasionally a bit of a weird squint in one eye, but is otherwise perfect. She is extremely friendly, a great layer and a pleasure to have in the yard. We gave away our old flock of isa’s/australorps, but kept her. When we got our new mixed flock of chooks (no more isabrowns!!), they accepted each other perfectly well and she is now part of a big happy flock. So, happy ending, despite me being convinced that she would die. I hope Mister mister has a happy future too. :hug:

lmd80lmd80

Hope the Rooster is okay. Bel, we have recently integrated a Alcona, RIR and Welsummer in with our 3 Isa’s. We built in a separate section with a roost and the grower pullets for the babies. The Isa’s are definitely mean and bossy but having their own section to escape too seemed to help. We were worried we would have to keep them separated for awhile but they managed to get out of their section which we now leave open for them to wander in and out. The Isa’s still tell them off and don’t share scraps but the babies seem quite comfortable. We have 3 Isa’s so having equal numbers may have helped. I hope they will eventually all roost together 🙂 The Isa’s are let out to free range and every now and again I see the babies venture just outside, probably for some grass and then hurry back in to the safety. They are probably about 13 weeks old now I guess. I can already see the difference in breeds, the Alcona is the risk taker, RIR follows mostly and the Welsummer is a sook!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 497 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.