Aussies Living Simply

Chook Chat Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 497 total)
  • Author
    Miaowzen

Chicken little is so cute!

Ediedioh

That “wild type” down (brown stripy) will most likely grow out silver laced — I know that hard to believe but the feathers will be nothing like the down colour.

I wouldn’t say the hen smothered the chick — probably just exhaustion from the hatch.

Good hens feed their chicks beak to beak for between 3 days and 3 weeks , that’s partly why I despise incubators and brooder boxes so much. When you hear a mother communicating with her chicks before they even hatch and then how she cares for them you realise how cruel those machines are.

Ediedioh

Good fertility but bad hatch rate — I’d suggest an issue with the mother’s nutrition.

Jenoka77

my mumma chook with the ducklings. 2 weeks old now. The one with the crook legs died yesterday.

:spam:

Jenoka77

my mumma chook with the ducklings. 2 weeks old now. The one with the crook legs died yesterday.

Bel

That’s a great hatch rate Miaowzen!! Can you upload some pictures some time? Does your brown stripy look like the one in my pic? I bought a mixed dozen, so my brown one could either be a barnevelder or welsummer – I’m leaning towards Barnevelder. Someone uploaded an excellent picture of a chick feeder here a couple of months ago. It was a horizontal piece of plumbing pipe with a section cut out across the middle, then tied onto the side of the cage. I’m thinking about rigging up something similar – wish I could find the photo!

Little chicks are so amazing – I never grow tired of waiting for them to hatch and watching the mumma looking after them. DH and I spend hours watching them clucking to their chickens and listening to all the different sounds that are either calling them to eat, or warning them, or admonishing them if they wander off too far! We have been spending a lot of time with Chicken Little who is unfortunately still on his own. He’s got a large box inside and we gave him a tissue box to hide in. The clever little thing has been using his beak to pull the tissue box over to the other corner of the box where the light is, then jumping up on top of the tissue box to get closer to the light. Then attempting to launch himself out of the top of the box from a height! I would never have believed he was moving the box across himself, but it’s amazing to watch. All the other chicks are out free ranging with their mothers at the moment. They all seem to have the pecking order worked out and paticular territories of the yard which they claim as their own.

BlueWren

Yes Edie……I love the little “tch tch tch ” noises the mothers make to call the chicks to food.I didn’t actually know they feed them beak to beak – I’ll have to watch more closely next time.

I am currently amazed at the care my rooster Bill takes of his four free ranging girls.One of them is very free range and often lags behind the group doing her own thing.The other day she really got left behind in our yard and I eventually tracked the others down in the bush edging our property.I guided naughty chook in the right direction and Bill came flying out of the bush and gave her a full on dressing down!!! He won’t go into their night pen until they are all in before him.Wonderful.

Jenoka77

my new babies. Does anyone know what colour they will be. Blue black or splash australorps?

:bump:

Jenoka77

my new babies. Does anyone know what colour they will be. Blue black or splash australorps?

:bump:

Congratulations on the new babies, Jenoka! So cute. 🙂 They look blue to me. Too greyish to be blacks & splash will come out yellow with darker flecks. I’ve just had my first splash hatch yesterday. 🙂

Jenoka77

Thanks BV the third one came out darker so I got 2 blues and a black. Congrats on your splash. I want to get another batch of eggs but due to travelling through the heat I only got 3 out of 12. so I will have to wait til early spring.

Miaowzen

I’m sorry, I never ended up taking photos of the chicks! I have eight as one died on Friday (I believe my Faverolle chicken attacked it).

It’s been amazing watching my chickens play mum though. First up, I think hatching 10 out of 11 eggs meant she was dedicated to the task. Then once they all hatched, Urd has been an amazing mum!! She always puts the chicks first – today I saw her biting off pieces of greens and giving it to the babies. She always samples food and then calls them all in as soon as she approves.

My other Orpington, Notte, is also amazing; she went broody as soon as the chicks hatched but then changed her mind. Instead of trying for her own she has decided to share mothering with Urd. So Urd is #1 mum and Notte is #2 mum, always keeping a close eye on them. It lifts my heart to see their love and kindness to the babies.

My Faverolle Verdani on the other hand has been jealous and pecking at the babies right from the start. On Friday I caught her and put her alone in a cage with food and water but this morning I found her dead. Lots of food and water there but perhaps she died of stress 🙁 She was the only layer I had left so I won’t have any more eggs for a while.

Bel

Sorry to hear about your Faverolle Miaowzen. Maybe she was pecky with the chicks because she wasn’t feeling well herself and was going to die anyway :shrug: You may not be without eggs for as long as you think. Our oldest chicks will be 4 weeks old this weekend and their mother started laying again this week!

Bel

Well, Sharlene has decided that her 4-5 -week old chicks don’t need her mothering any more! She leaves them to fend for themselves in the big coop yard with the other hens and jumps over the gate to go and free-range for the day! I’ll clip her wings, the cheeky girl. She’s been laying for about a week now and decided to lay this egg in the compost heap!! I think she’s contemplating motherhood again – she is a light sussex:

Last night when I tried to lock her in the separate night coop with her chicks, she chased them and pecked them before settling on the roost above them. She didn’t sit with them to keep them warm. I thought mothers normally look after their chicks until they’re more like 6 weeks old. If I lock her out of their night coop tonight, do you think they’ll be ok on their own (ie warm enough)? They’re feathered on most of their bodies, but their necks and heads are still pretty fluffy/bare. Eventually I’d like to house all the chicks in the separate coop at night as a way of gradually introducing the other chicks to the main flock without them getting hurt in the process (especially Chicken Little who has been hand-raised).

At what age can you start to differentiate the hens and roosters?

lavman

I have always found that the pullets get tail feathers first, which you should be able to notice about now.

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 497 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.