Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Chook Chat Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 497 total)
  • Author
    BelBel

I’ll be interested to hear the answer to your question, Lady B. I’ve got a few different broody coops/enclosures happening at the moment and will be good to know when I can start letting them mingle.

Here’s a photo of the little rescued chick. Still going strong. Took the bands off its legs last night and it’s getting around quite well. Not sure if the legs are straight though – will do the ‘sling’ tonight if they’re not totally straight:

VickieVickie

Edie, The bird that we put down was the He/She i posted pictures of a while ago, it never laid, it did crow only about 2-3 times a day for a week. Then it was like it decided it was no good at crowing and it just continued worbling like the hens but a bit deeper sounding. It never laid an egg.

Now the bantam hen that is looking a bit wobbly is one of my oldest birds, I read about Mareks on wikipedia and i was sure it was mareks, she even looks like her eye is going a bit blind 🙁 But, Her name is actually ‘Noozie’ named by my daughter because she has always looked sleepy, so i think she has always had minor probs with her eyes it just seems worse now.

Anwyway thanks for taking the time to help..ill go over to BYP and see how i go. 🙂

Bel,looks like you have done a lovely with that chick!!!

BelBel

Little chick is still going strong. I got her to have a big walk around last night and there don’t appear to be any further problems with her legs. I think much of the problem in the first place was just her weakness after trying to hatch for so long. She’s eating and drinking well on her own now too.. Just wondering…. do you think it’s too late to try sneaking her back under the mother with the other 3 chicks? I just worry about her being lonely. I could try slipping her under there tonight, but won’t bother if you think it’s too late – she was hatched late on Saturday.

Actually – I’ve got more chicks due to hatch this Fri/Sat – maybe I could slip her in under that mother?

Vickie – I do hope you find the answer to your chicken dilemma on BYP. Good luck! Seems a few people are having chookie problems atm 🙁

I’ve missed so much! Lot’s of chookie action everywhere! Bel, how’s that chick? Did you pop her back with her mother hen? How did it go? With weak young chicks, you can dropper feed them some egg yolk mixed with a bit of water – perfect food to help them get stronger.

When to put mama hens & chicks back with their flock – I have a broody shed which is inside the main chook yard. The broody hens go in there & I have mama hen food & chick crumble & water in there for them. After the littlies are about 4 or 5 days old, I remove a panel of their broody box & they are free to go out with the rest of the flock. The mother hen looks after them brilliantly. I have never had a problem with it. No aggression from other roosters or more dominant hens. They all ignore the little ones & leave them alone. After the chick crumble they’ve got is gone, I sometimes give them a bit more in the evening, but generally don’t give them any more because they’re getting enough food out foraging with mum. Also, I don’t want my laying hens eating the crumble because of the abx in it which means we couldn’t eat their eggs. Doesn’t matter if mother hen eats it because she’s not laying again yet.

One reason people say to keep them separated until they’re much bigger is because their immune systems are not strong enough & they are more susceptible to illnesses & disease. I’ve never had a problem & always practice pretty good chook yard hygeine. Plus mine have a lot of space to roam which may make a difference too.

Bel, it’s my blue Australorp breeding hen with the injured leg. Turns out it may be a spinal injury as she’s got weakness in both legs. The vet gave her a shot of anti inflammatory & we’re waiting to see if it helps her. I think she’s looking stronger on her legs today, but because I want her to be better so badly I’m not sure if my mind is playing tricks on me! I may not ever be able to breed from her again, but we’ll see how she goes first. She’ll be caged for at least another month. 🙁

I got another 34 chicks on Tuesday. 🙂

Candled the duck eggs the other night but unfortunately only 4 or 5 were fertile (out of 30!) & they looked like the embryos had died inside, so there won’t be any Saxony ducklings. 🙁 And duck people have any idea why such poor fertility rates?

BlueWrenBlueWren

True Sisters! Rooster Ben was having his way with one of the girls early this morning , and Dotty flew in and pecked him!! 🙂

BelBel

Hi again,

Little Chick is still going strong. I didn’t try putting her back with her mumma cos I was worried she had been away from her for too long and was too ‘humanised’. She’s had lots of outings outside with us over the last few days while it’s been warm. We set up a small enclosure for her so she can enjoy the grass and sunshine and hear and see the chooks nearby. Hopefully she’s not too lonely.

BV – that’s terrible about your breeding hen. What would cause the spinal problem? Fingers crossed she improves after her solitude.

I let Sharlene and the bigger chicks mix with the main flock today and there were no problems. Most of the chooks weren’t really interested in the chicks and the mum kept a pretty good eye on them. I let the littler ones out in the main yard have a wander with Wendy too and they had some interaction through teh fence with the other hens. Wendy is very protective and fronted up to one of the hens through the wire!

I heard one of Ethel’s chicks start peeping today! :cheer: I wasn’t sure that any would hatch, so it is good news. I tried to have a closer look which she wasn’t impressed with and she got off the nest :blush: I saw a dark chick half-hatched and it appeared to be quite strong. I left her alone and she hopped straight back on teh nest, so I’d better leave her be now. Fingers crossed she’s ok on her own.

BW – that’s funny about your sister hens :laugh:

BelBel

I found Ethel’s little black chick dead under her this morning 🙁 Not sure how, but she’s obviously suffocated it. No sign of any others hatching at the moment. Very disappointing. Frustrating when hens don’t look after the chicks properly.

MiaowzenMiaowzen

I am so sorry about the dead chick :hug: 🙁

Today my chicken mumma hatched her eggs! I am so excited, I have only ever seen chicks in pictures and they are so cute 🙂

They are all supposed to be Australorp but there is an adorable striped brown one in the mix too. I’m sure I counted at least 6 and mum looks like she is still sitting on eggs. When I saw all the broken shells I thought a disaster had happened :jawdrop: but it turned to excitement :woohoo:

For now I have no idea what to do regards to water and food. The nest has steep sides and they can’t get out but I’m not sure if mum supplies them with anything. I’ve put some pebbles in a shallow dish and put water in the bottom, but no food in the nest as they’ll just mess on it. How often do I change the litter and how can I do that without mum getting narky?

BelBel

The sad story had a good ending – Ethel ended up hatching 3 chicks right when I had given up hope. The chick that died had hatched 2 days before the others, so it might’ve been too early for it, and not because I intervened. Looks like she’s got a light sussex, a Barnevelder and an Australorp. I must get rid of the rest of the eggs before they explode!!

How exciting about your chicks, Miaowzen! 🙂

I feed my chicks some chick crumble on a shallow dish – something like a pot plant dish is good. I put the water down low where they can access it. The tricky thing is keeping the mum from kicking dirt and straw etc in the food and water!! She doesn’t really provide them with anything per se. They eat what’s left in the egg shell, then mum will peck at whatever she wants them to eat too. For the first day or 2, I keep food and water close to mum cos they don’t go far. Then you can put them further away and they’ll wander over to them. As for the bedding – I don’t change it too often. You’ll be able to see when it needs changing. As for avoiding mum, there’s not much you can do – just be quick!

BlueWrenBlueWren

Good news Miaowzen!

You’ll need to get chick crumbles, they are medicated , and the chicks need to access them and their waterfor themselves , so they need to be able to get out of their nest.Mum won’t feed them like wild birds do but she will call them to where the food is..A flat dish is fine, but the small plastic chick feeders and waterers are cheap and go some of the way to dealing with the mum scratching stuff in the feed dish.I have mine resting on the ground but I do secure it to something above it with string to stop it from being tipped over.The chicks will move well away from the nest very quickly , Mum will take them back to the nest during the day sometimes and definitely at night, so they all need to have unrestricted access to the nest at all times.Can you organise that in your set up?

Mum can eat chick crumbles too for a few days but with chook raised chicks I soon put the mother’s usual dry mash back – not laying pellets – and the chicks eat that as well as the crumbles.This is probably not the “official” thing to do but it works!

MiaowzenMiaowzen

I shall take the whole lot out of the nest box this morning then and just let them run around the cage with food and water. Have to buy crumbles tomorrow, for now I only have mash so will serve it a bit damp

BelBel

How many chicks are there Miaowzen? Did you get the chick crumble?

Here’s a picture of Ethel’s 3 chicks:

Chicken Little still going strong. He’s taken a liking to DS6 and follows him around the backyard:

We’ve now got 9 hens and 13 chicks! I hope we’ve got lots of hens. We might keep a rooster this year and see what happens.

BlueWrenBlueWren

If you keep a rooster I can tell you “what happens ” ……………… :laugh: :laugh:

BelBel

BlueWren post=351453 wrote: If you keep a rooster I can tell you “what happens ” ……………… :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: lol BW I meant with council/neighbours/noise etc. it’s gotta be easier than buying fertile eggs & shuffling broodies every year!!

MiaowzenMiaowzen

I got nine! :woohoo: I had ten, but one passed suddenly, wasn’t to be.

Eight of them are australorps, and they were supposed to all be, but two look like little brown chipmunks. I guess welsummers?

Mum is making a mess with their food bowl in teaching them to scratch so the chick feeder sounds like a good idea. I got crumbles and took away the nesting box (which didn’t impress mama hen one bit as she was still sitting on a dodgy egg).

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 497 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.