Aussies Living Simply

Chook Chat Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 497 total)
  • Author
    Kristy

Beautiful little chickens Bel, they are gorgeous!

My little hen is still hopping around on one leg, no worse, but no better, so still a waiting game!

I don’t trust the ducks with the baby chickens

Bel

Wendy hopped off the remaining eggs today. She escaped from her enclosure and took her 3 chicks for a wander amongst the other hens :ohmy: Hastily started building another enclosure for her and the chicks and asked DS6 to start cleaning up the remaining eggs. Lo and behold, DS6 found an egg that was pipping! I rushed it back under mum with some of the other eggs. When I went to check on them later this arvo, no progress. The poor little chick was still peeping, but had made no progress with making its way out. I pulled the shell off it, because I thought it would die otherwise. It was very weak and Mum wasn’t interested in looking after it. The ants were starting to move in too. I brought it inside under a lamp and it’s still struggling, but not thriving. It has taken some water from a pipette, which is something I suppose. I think it has some major leg problems. Looks like I’ll be following Bandicoot Valley’s tutorial if this chick is going to have a fighting chance. I just hope it pulls through. It’s funny that the 3 yellow chicks hatched really quickly and were very strong, but the 2 brown chicks hatched late – 1 died and this one struggled. I wonder why. Still amazed that 5 of 10 ‘washed’ eggs hatched at all!

Miaowzen – most of my broodies don’t eat or drink at all when they’re sitting on eggs, even in scorching heat. They lose condition, but always bounce back afterwards. Good luck with the sitting! There’s a good fodder store at Gepps Cross and another one at Blair Athol with a great range of chook feed.

Kristy – I wouldn’t trust the ducks with the chicks either. Also, Ollie will probably be ok with the ducklings for a little while, but keep an eye on him. They can get aggressive with ducklings too. His grandfather had to be separated from the ducklings because he was quite rough with them.

Cute babies everywhere! I’ll be selling a heap at Christmas, both newly hatched chicks & ducklings & 4 week old chicks that will not require heat any more. Ducks are Saxony’s, chooks are blue Australorps, black Australorps, Barnevelders, Welsummers, Light Sussex and mixed colour Pekins. If anyone is interested, there are pics & more info on my fb page 2 Acre Woods.

Bel, I’ve not had good luck helping chicks out of the shells, vast majority die. I’m learning a lot about it & sometimes it’s related to the diet of the mother hen who laid the egg in the first place. If she’s laid it when she’s short on protein, the chicks more often don’t make it out. I helped 4 out, 2 died, 1 was fine & the 4th was really stunted in growth – like a runt. I hope you have better luck!

Bel

Thanks for the info BV. The eggs came from a friend of my grandmother who had a mixed flock of cross-breeds. I knew nothing about them at the time, except that the eggs were fertile and I needed some quickly. She only charged me $5.50 for the dozen, so I can’t really complain, especially as much of the problem may have stemmed from the erratic sitting/mucky eggs/washing of eggs/hot weather etc. Interesting to know that it might be diet-related though. If they’re anything like my grandmother, they’re probably fed on table scraps and wheat which may be protein deficient. The little chick survived the night and is still quite weak. It’s taking small amounts of water/honey from a dropper and bit of moist chick crumble from my finger, so it might yet pull through. Hard to tell if the boots and hobbles are working as it’s still unsteady on its feet. Time will tell, I suppose….

Hope your hen’s leg pulls through without intervention. Which breed is she? Your chicks are doing great-guns. Absolutely adorable, very strong and interactive!

froot_loopz

Just took a look at your facebook page BV, gorgeous photos.

Good luck to those with little chickens that are needing a helping hand into the world

Vickie

Just a couple of questions,

what makes a chicken have loss of power in their legs, and fall over a little bit?? sort of a balance thing. And have runny sort of poo. Could it be the scaly leg mites? we are treating the legs with oil and the two chooks that are poorly don’t even look like having leg mites, but i am treating them anyway.

Also just bumping my question of how/if to treat baby chicks for leg mites. Mums legs are looking really good after quite a few doses of petrolium jelly.

Also i saw the cutest picture the other day of a RIR hen sitting on about 10 hatched ducklings, i was amazed! How would that work??, how does a hen teach ducklings about ducky business :laugh: ??

Anyway Thanks in advance 🙂

Jenoka77

if this photo works Vickie, you will see my australorp hen raising the khaki Campbell ducklings.

They hatched Friday. I kept the heat lamp on up until today. I had to turn it off as mumma kept burning her tail feathers while she was tending to the ducklings. She is like the ducklings mother calls them for food and water. lets them snuggle under her. My ducklings I got at 3 weeks were incubated then I placed them in the bath here and continud to brood them. They new what they had to do as ducks.

Jenoka77

I forgot to say they will go out to the chick cage on Friday. I just need to be certain she will keep them all warm. We have been having hot weather here. I just want to know they are a bit stronger. Such a nervous first timer

Ediedioh

How old is the one with weak legs Vickie? Could be Mareks.

Are the feathers loose? Did it have a mild respiratory condition at 3- 8 weeks that seemed to clear up?

Vickie

Edie, thanks for replying 🙂 🙂 🙂 … there are two that are sick, one was so wobbly and poorly looking that i asked DH to put it down yesterday, it was a chick that hatched last year (the hooster actually 1/2 boy 1/2 girl) so thats why i thought it was unwell, that perhaps it was just genetically weak IYKWIM?. Now the other hen is no older than 2 years old. Both have loose feathers around the bottom. It’s a bantam, all my others are pictures of health.

Jenoka, that is so cool, it’s very special! I hope they go off ok, its always a bit stressful letting chicks out for the first time!

Bel

Little chick survived another night. The ear-piercing cheeps through the night nearly made me regret having saved it :S I removed the boots last night and its feet and toes are nice and straight – amazing! I removed the band too and its legs are still pretty wonky. I’ve put it back on for another 24 hours and if there’s still no improvement, I’ll move to stage 2 with a sling. I feel reall sorry for it because it’s probably lonely. All the other chicks would be far too energetic for it though. It’s still not eating much although it sounds very robust and hobbles around quite happily. Should I push even harder to get it to eat or give it more time? It will take little bits of moist chick crumble or weetbix from my finger, but I haven’t seen it eat much at all…..

Lady Bee
    Keymaster

Lady B post=350276 wrote: I’ve got a broody Welsummer hen that I want to place some eggs under, but I’m concerned at the logistics. Let me explain.

Following on from this. We put 7 eggs under our hen, having first coloured them green with food dye. Over the course of the first 3 days she broke 3 of the eggs. We left her with the other hens (and Brian, the rooster) and just checked that there were no new eggs under her each day and removed them if there were any (that’s why we coloured the eggs to be hatched – made identification very easy).

A couple of days before the eggs were due to hatch, we moved hen and eggs late at night into a separate pen. She hardly moved. Settled down on the eggs very quickly. Phew!

On Saturday, (hatching day), we lifted the lid on the nest part of the coop and I could here a little ‘peep, peep’. Sure enough, there was one little chick, then later in the day, another. That evening we found one of the chicks outside the nest, and it felt a little cool to touch, however it was alive. I tucked it back under mum’s wing, but sadly the next morning it had died.

The remaining 2 eggs we left until today, just on the off-chance, but nothing came of them, so we’ve removed them. So out of 7 eggs we have one little chick. It’s very cute and seems quite a sturdy little thing, it’s been pecking a little bit of chick crumb, had a drink and we’ve seen it have a poo, so we figure all bits are working. 🙂

Meantime, another hen has gone broody, so might save a few more eggs and put them under her. Have to get my timing right though.

How old would my little chicks need to be to be put back with the others?

Ediedioh

Eggs have a film coating to prevent bacteria penetrating the egg — I don’t think covering the eggs in dye is a good idea, it’s important never to wash an egg you intend to set.

If the hen is a first time mum she might be anxious about being in with the flock. The main reason to separate is the need for different feed (it will work out very expansive to feed every chook starter crumble).

Ediedioh

Vickie did that hooster ever crow or lay? It’s too old for it to be a Mareks tumour they usually show up as leg issues at 18-24 weeks. I’d put a description and pic on backyardpoultry.

I had an interview with a journo from the Weekly Times today, she’s writing a feature on my designer backyarders — it was clear by the end that she thinks I’m bonkers!

Lady Bee
    Keymaster

So how old will they need to be to be put back with the others?

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 497 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.