Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Chook Chat Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 497 total)
  • Author
    BronBron

We’ve had a sad day too. One of our girls (one of the first we hatched from eggs our girls and boy grew) had to be put down. I noticed she was squirting poop (ie not big enough) and having issues going. She was still eating though so I wasn’t too concerned. I checked her bottom and she had 2 huge growths which I originally thought were poops that had backed up a fair bit and dried on her bottom.

I tried to wash them off but no luck, so I pulled one off. It snapped off but I could see it was a tumour (looks like devon/fritz). One was growing right in her cloaca 🙁 which was why she could no longer poop. UNfortunately when I pulled it off, it bled, so the tumour was only going to get bigger and I think she was likely to have suffered from septiceamia and die an awful death 🙁

On a positive, I was able to get 3 dozen mixed eggs and successfully hatched 17 of them (could only fit 19 under the 4 chooks). 2 have died since thanks to our dogs (who can no longer get into the pen) but the rest are coming along so well. A few adorable frizzles, as well as what appear to be 3 pb cochins (the lady had several roosters together so it was pot luck 🙂 )

BelBel

Sorry to hear you had to put your chook down Bron. Sounds like you have some lovely chicks to replace her though. Mixed eggs are always fun to see what you get!

BelBel

Vickie post=350855 wrote: Hi Guys,

Don’t feel like i have been in here for ages. Spring certainly is a busy time when you have animals!! And gardens!

Kristy, your 2 little lovlies look cute as! How sad that a few didn’t make it though.

Bel, You sussex broody there looks as cranky as my mummy hen. Mine is the crankiest hen i have ever ever had.. she chases me out every time i step in to clean or water, and the noise.. sheesh!

So we have had 7 chicks hatch here & I have a little question… My chooks aare being treated for leg mites.. they are getting much better with regular soapy scrubs and baby oil. But the broody hen has it the worst. And its all we can do to catch her and we smear her legs with vas. But mainly my question is for the chicks.. if they need oil on their little legs too??? Obviously im tryingto change their begging daily etc etc..any tips would be very appreciated.

Actually Vickie, our Sussex is pretty friendly and trusting because we hand raised her. Whilst she is weary, she lets us handle the chicks without getting nasty or pecking. I’ll be interested to hear about the leg mites as I need to treat my girls too…

Jenoka77Jenoka77

I have one duckling out. 4 others pipped

so excited

Jenoka77Jenoka77

I have one duckling out. 4 others pipped

so excited

Oh, quacky cuteness! Yay! I have set my first duck eggs too. They are due to hatch on 21st December – christmas ducklings 🙂

KristyKristy

Jenoka77, how exciting to have baby ducks 🙂 My mother duck is sitting on her eggs, but no idea when she started or if she will continue, but we will wait and see 🙂

Jenoka77Jenoka77

no more hatched yet. *bites nails* my little one was struggling to stand in the incubator. I had to move her/him. We have a bad storm here atm so I brought the broody inside and placed her in the straw box. In her lawn mower hatch. thanks so much for that idea Blue Wren. She pecked a little at the duckling but is now happily sitting on him and the two eggs that were under her already.

fingers crossed for more in a few hours.

Jenoka77Jenoka77

no more hatched yet. *bites nails* my little one was struggling to stand in the incubator. I had to move her/him. We have a bad storm here atm so I brought the broody inside and placed her in the straw box. In her lawn mower hatch. thanks so much for that idea Blue Wren. She pecked a little at the duckling but is now happily sitting on him and the two eggs that were under her already.

fingers crossed for more in a few hours.

BelBel

How did you go Jenoka? Any more ducklings?

Here’s a photo of the chicks that hatched last weekend:

Wendy’s chicks started hatching yesterday! :woohoo: It was an interesting experiment, to be honest. The eggs she was sitting on were originally placed in a separate broody coop and I tried several different broodies on them, but for one reason or another, none liked sitting on those eggs in the broody coop. Several got broken and eaten in the process, leaving the remaining eggs quite mucky – this happened over about a week. Wendy was determined to sit in the main coop (near all the poo and stuff on the floor :blink: ), so I decided to wash the eggs I had, even scrubbing the mucky straw bits off. Then I snuck them under Wendy. She was an erratic sitter, running off the eggs every day for various periods of time, but I assumed she knew what she was doing. I placed wire in front of her to stop the other chickens getting in and laying more eggs, but the Houdinis always found a way in and she found her way out! They kept laying more eggs near her so eventually I found a way to keep the wire in place. One managed to sneak in after that and I found her dead next to Wendy – not sure what happened :sick: . Wendy couldn’t sit on all the eggs at once, so I had to trust that she knew which eggs were best to sit on. This all meant that I had little hope that any eggs would hatch. Lo and behold, the chicks started hatching yesterday! 4 so far. 1 had trouble getting the last of the shell off from around its middle, so I gave it a hand and hope it pulls through. I’ve tried having a peek this morning, but she’s got them all tucked nicely underneath her. I wonder if any more have hatched?! Here’s the first two:

Post-ed: The little chick who had trouble hatching died 🙁 I imagine it was quite weak after being half stuck in the shell. It’s a pity – it was a little brown multi-coloured chick whereas the other 3 are yellow. Oh well.

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

awww little chickens.

Jenoka77Jenoka77

the chicks are so cute.

very sorry to hear there have been some losses from everyone. it’s always hard.

I ended up with 9 ducklings hatching. However I lost the one who I took out of the incubator early. Lesson learned. So I ended up with 8. One has leg issues and I’m following your pictures BV. Very helpful however the little duckling keeps getting out of his hobbles. and struggles to walk with them on. his legs seem to fall behind him. I’m scared I’m doing more damage.

I have a heat lamp up one end and mummy chook down the other. the ducklings are starting to go to mummy. she is calling them for food and being a good mummy.

I’ve just cleaned out the bator and have some blue black and splash (fingers crossed) eggs set and a dozen eggs from a friend. Aracuna eggs.

Jenoka77Jenoka77
    Jenoka77Jenoka77
    MiaowzenMiaowzen

Such cuteness! :hug:

So sorry to those that have had losses, I hope the surviving chikkies are happy and well.

I wasn’t so confident, but eventually placed 12 eggs under my broody and she is doing very well. She’s not eating or drinking much though so I hope she gets through without any disasters. She’s due in 1.5 weeks.

The other two chickens have been laying but I’m going to get different food today because I gave them a different brand of layer mash recently and it has made their eggshells paper thin. I have to drive a bit further away to get the mash that worked well, or just get pellets instead.

I’m missing having four chickens for eggs, so still considering buying a couple of adults as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 497 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.