Aussies Living Simply

Chook Chat Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 497 total)
  • Author
    Bel

Your turkeys sound gorgoues BV! Pics when you can please 🙂

After I got the eggs from you the other week, I had more hens go broody. I’ve now got 3 girls sitting. One due each weekend for the next 3 weeks! Woohoo. Very exciting.

My poor uncle had a fox take his hens the other week – at Athelstone in the foot hills. Must be a good year for foxes. Not so for chicken owners 🙁 If he gets his pen fox-proofed, I’ll give him some of the chicks that hatch from our hens.

We’re gonna run out of room for broodies/chicks soon, so if the rest of my hens can kindly wait to go broody, that’ll be handy!

Kristy

Took my chook to vet today, waited 45 mins, poor guy before me had to put his car down after it was bitten by a black snake 🙁

My chook has been given antibiotics, it looks like an infection, fingers crossed she makes it … We are hoping she doesn’t go lame.

Bel

How’s your chicken going Kristy? Did you have fertile eggs under one of your hens recently?

Our chicks started hatching today!! We started with a dozen of Bandicoot Valley’s gorgeous girl’s eggs, but unfortunately 2 were broken by our broody before she settled. Of the 10 eggs left, 6 hatched today and 4 are left. Not sure if they will hatch or not, but I’m ecstatic anyway! I know we had some mixed-breed and some Blue Australop, but cannot remember the 3rd type of eggs we had in there! BV – can you remind me? We have 2 little grey chicks which appear to be Blue Australorps, one dark black chick and 3 stipey brown chicks – probably Barney crosses. Either way -they’re gorgeous! We saw one of the chicks hatch today from start to finish and the kids were mesmerised.

Ooh, that’s wonderful! The light chick in front is a rare lavender Australorp! She has double blue genes. There’s not many of them! I’m so happy for you! The little one poking it’s head out behind her to the right is a Silver Laced Wyandotte. Post more pics of them if you can & I’ll tell you what they are. The black one is probably a darker blue Australorp. I’ve had a few that look quite black as chicks but their feathers lighten to a dark steel grey as they get bigger. 🙂

froot_loopz

awwww baby chookies

I was talking to someone who lets there chooks roam in salisbury, one night they didnt lock them in and everyone of them had their heads removed by morning.

🙁

Bel

That’s great BV. There are 2 light grey chicks like the one in front! Then 1 black one and 3 like the one poking its head out. I checked on them this morning and mumma has broken one of the remaining eggs which was rotten – eeughk :sick: She’s taking very good care of them, which I’m so pleased about. She’s not too stressed with me in the pen, so I’ve been able to touch some of the chicks. Gorgeous! I’ll try to get more pics when she lets them out a bit more.

Kristy

Bel I can’t remember if I provided an update on the eggs or not, but I had 6 fertile eggs out of that 1 egg disappeared, 1 died during the hatching, one died that night fron a strange growth and sadly one drowned :(, so I have 2 little ones left.

My little brown chook with the limp, still doesn’t seem to be improving, but doesn’t seem to be getting worse. I am concerned as I only have 2 days medication left for her, then I will have to ring the vet and see what they suggest next…

Bel

Cute chicks Kristy! Sad to hear you lost a few. My broodies sometimes go a bit mad when I move them to put fertile eggs under them, so a few eggs get crushed & eaten in the process. I got 6 out of 10 remaining which I was really pleased with. One of my broodies who has been sitting for a week suddenly left the nest today leaving a dozen cold eggs in her wake 👿 I have another hen sitting, but I think it’s too late to slip them under her. A big waste of a dozen beautiful eggs and $20! Here’s a few more pics of our chicks today:

Kristy

That’s really disappointing Bel, was this hen a new mum?

Cleo the duck seems to be sitting on half a dozen eggs, again, the first time she left them, this is the second time this season, so we will see what happens. I think it’s only been a week so far, but unsure…

Bel

Kristy post=350812 wrote: That’s really disappointing Bel, was this hen a new mum?

Cleo the duck seems to be sitting on half a dozen eggs, again, the first time she left them, this is the second time this season, so we will see what happens. I think it’s only been a week so far, but unsure…

Hi again Kristy. The hen who left the eggs was a mum last season and a very good sitter. When she got off the eggs today, I saw that one had been broken and it was a bit mucky in the nest. I took it out and put some clean bedding down. Funnily enough, she got back on the nest a bit later and is as broody as ever. This is by far the longest I’ve ever seen a hen leave her nest though, so I’m skeptical. But maybe with the hot weather today, she knew it was safe to leave them. Time will tell I suppose, I’ve got nothing to lose by letting her continue to sit on them despite her absence. It’ll be a good experiment.

Good luck with Cleo sitting. From memory, ducks sit for 28 days. Lucky would leave the nest briefly once or twice a day, but would cover the eggs over before she left. Chickens and ducks can be amazingly clever! They seem to know what they’re doing….

BlueWren

Good luck with that chook and eggs Bel.They do seem to know what they are doing, and if she went back maybe she just really didn’t like a mucky bed!

A few folk have mentioned the difficulty of moving broody chooks to where you want them.I have to say I wouldn’t use anything else but old hard mower catchers for nest boxes.If one of my girls shows signs of going broody I let her do it in the mower catcher for a couple of days.I mark a couple of “sacrificial eggs”, non fertile if possible, with a texta pen , or plastic ones, and leave them under the hen to keep her busy.Easy to rummage under her to find fresh eggs from other chooks and to begin collecting the ones you want her to sit on.Wear gloves if the broody is cranky!!

When you are sure she’s going to sit, at night cover the open front of the mower catcher with a towel or whatever and carry it plus the chook inside to where she’s going to sit.Remove the towel and the sacrificial eggs – dispose of them – and gently put the eggs for hatching under the chook.I’ve never had a chook panic and try to leave the catcher in transit , or leave the catcher after she’s been put where I want her to sit and hatch.

Put another mower catcher plus fresh bedding where that one was, all ready for the next day’s layers or the next broody! Can never have too many mower catchers!

Bel

That’s a great idea Bluewren! My old nesting box is getting rusty so I might replace it with some old mower catchers 🙂

Jenoka77

Blue Wren I took your advice when I first started setting up my coop. I moved my broody hen with no hassles and placed 2 out of the last 8 remaining eggs from my incubator under her. Hoping that she will accept the eggs that hatch in the incubator.

I have a question being my first hatch do they start hatching on day 28 (they are duck eggs) and take 24 hours to come out or do they start hatching on day 27. I set them on Wednesday afternoon and day 28 is this Wednesday.

from the initial 12 I lost 2 very early and a third seems dodgy. However I have left it in the bator. Just incase.

I candled them last night for the last time as now it’s keep the lid on and don’t touch.

They were very sluggish and not moving much. Is this normal?

sooooooo nervous.

Love the pics of the new babies.

BlueWren

I’m sorry Jenoka ….I can’t answer any of those questions….hopefully someone can.All the best for the hatching.

Vickie

Hi Guys,

Don’t feel like i have been in here for ages. Spring certainly is a busy time when you have animals!! And gardens!

Kristy, your 2 little lovlies look cute as! How sad that a few didn’t make it though.

Bel, You sussex broody there looks as cranky as my mummy hen. Mine is the crankiest hen i have ever ever had.. she chases me out every time i step in to clean or water, and the noise.. sheesh!

So we have had 7 chicks hatch here & I have a little question… My chooks aare being treated for leg mites.. they are getting much better with regular soapy scrubs and baby oil. But the broody hen has it the worst. And its all we can do to catch her and we smear her legs with vas. But mainly my question is for the chicks.. if they need oil on their little legs too??? Obviously im tryingto change their begging daily etc etc..any tips would be very appreciated.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 497 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.