Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Chook Chat Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 497 total)
  • Author
    BelBel

Ediedioh post=349896 wrote: Does this seem like too good a bargain to be true?

http://www.mychickencoop.com.au/chicken-coops/premium-chicken-coop

We’ve bought the same coop Ediedioh. It’s very small and quite light. It’s held together for a couple of years and has made a good broody coop, but it’s too small for much else. Our solo hen lived in it on her own for a year, but it wouldn’t fit much more than that. A good small coop if that’s all your’e after. Probably better for rabbits/guinea pigs tho, or a solo broody with chicks….

BelBel

Bandicoot Valley post=349908 wrote: And on Sunday the bloody fox jumped the 6-7 foot high fence, took an electric shock at the top & got into the turkey yard & killed our poor turkeys. Absolutely had a gut full of this bloody fox. So I’m doing yet more fencing to further improve them. Sigh. 🙁

Oh no! That’s terrible BV. 🙁 I think you’ve already tried trapping/baiting? Good luck raising your fencing. What a determined fox!! 👿

BlueWrenBlueWren

Oh BV …..after all your care of those turkeys too…… 🙁

Have a look at ‘FLOPPY TOP” fences with an outward overhang at the top.We have that design and although i couldn’t guarantee that it’s fox proof we have not lost any birds to foxes whereas all my neighbors have done so in the last year or so.I heard one nearby just the other night.My chooks used to be locked up in their dome in their yard at night but then they began roosting on top of the dome so I can’t shut them in any more.A fox in their yard could definitely get the chooks off the roof.

I think my DH used 1800 chook netting attached to star pickets,that was the highest we could get, higher would be better , with 300 skirt out from the base,about 1000 vertical and the rest curving out wards from the top, supported on thinnish bendy plastic tubing attached to the top of each picket.He ran a stout wire along the top threaded through the wire holes to join the pickets.The overhang needs to be floppy – foxes will climb anything firm.When the fence was first erected we noticed a couple of inward bulges which we thought may have been made by a kicking fox hanging off the floppy top.

Thanks Bel & BW,

I know where the fox lives, there’s a very large patch of reeds in a reserve at the bottom of our place. I think I’ll take my brushcutter to it & move the family of them on. You’re right, BW, the top of the fence does need an overhang. That’s what I’m adding this week. There’s 300m of it to do so it’s taking me a while!

On a brighter note, we’ve nearly finished the final chook house so I’m looking for a couple of pure double laced Barnevelder hens for the wonderful, gorgeous Barney boy to have as girlfriends. If anyone has any for sale or knows of anyone selling some, please let me know!

MiaowzenMiaowzen

I do hope you get that fox BV 🙁

I’ve been away recently, but need help quick!! I hope someone can help. One of my chickens started sneezing and coughing on the weekend. I couldn’t do anything at the time as my cat was very sick and we had to give him our full attention. I’ve been watching the chicken to see if she got better or worse, well now I have three chickens sneezing and coughing. It’s so hot out, and one of the chooks has her beak open and is trying to breathe through her beak instead of nostrils. Her throat sounds hoarse and her whole body shakes when she sneezes!! I noticed that her bottom is dirty and she pooped a clear watery liquid. I’m going to go to the poultry supplies shop this afternoon to get them more food and I have no idea what to get for this illness. Or should I get something from the vet?

Complete novice to chicken viruses here and I’m worried 🙁

VickieVickie

BV, stupid foxes, they suck! I am not looking forward to the day when they stop finding places to go under the fence and work out the can go over!

Miaowzen, let us know how you go!!. I havn’t heard anything like it. I’d try asking the vets for advice, also google and ask the grain store too. Is your cat ok???

MiaowzenMiaowzen

Thanks. I ended up going straight to the fodder store and bought an antibiotic called Terramycin. It’s going in their water.

Unfortunately the girl who had her beak open and who’s body shook each time she sneezed died from the infection 🙁 First death in my chickens and I’m rather sad. Two of the other three are still coughing and sneezing but not as badly as her.

lmd80lmd80

That’s terrible! I hope the others recover. Do chooks just catch colds?

VickieVickie

Miaowzen, that is very sad. I hope the others pull through it ok.

MiaowzenMiaowzen

Ta, I hope so too. All three of the remaining chickens are now sneezing, so I am glad that today is not as hot as heat plus sneezing must be very stressful for them. I have my fingers crossed that they all recover!!

VickieVickie

Miaowzen how are your chooks going? better hopefully.

Last night we lost another bantam ‘Baby ruby’ and Flynn our rooster. I hate that fox, as all chook owners do 🙁 🙁

I have another sussex ‘Ember’ sitting now. She has been on for 3 or so days, she is on 8 eggs. And now i have these last three eggs i collected today that will be Flynns last 3 fertile eggs ever (obviously). Would it work if i popped them under the sussex??, or is it too far into her ‘sit’ to pop more under?

(most of the eggs are bantam eggs and she is a fairly big sussex i reckon, so sitting on 11 mostly small eggs shouldnt be a problem for her, its mainly the timing im wondering about)

TIA 🙂

MiaowzenMiaowzen

Oh no, I’m sorry you lost some chooks. I’m so glad I haven’t seen a fox yet.

My girls seem to be doing much better, touch wood. It seems the chicken who died was solely responsible for the thin-shelled white eggs I was getting, as I don’t get them anymore. Maybe she was never so healthy from the outset.

EdiediohEdiedioh

Vickie she’ll leave the nest before the eggs 3 days behind hatch — optionS would be:

1. put them in an incubator at day 18 (then try to put them back with the hen once they hatch).

2. Take the early eggs out now and set the ones you really want.

VickieVickie

Edie, I popped them under on day 3, I talked myself into it for the following reason.

When i thought i had lost a leghorn years ago we found her in the wood tank on a nest of ashes. She was sitting on 9 or so eggs, all hers because the eggs were all identicle and the only other leghorn we had at the time was sitting in the coop. The eggs all(all of them) hatched within 12 hours of each other. So i assumed she didn’t lay those eggs on one day?? some chicks were smaller than others when hatched, but no problems,they were all fine.

They lay eggs over a period of a few days – still one a day, but the eggs don’t start to develop until mama hen is sitting on them, then they all have the same start point, hence them all hatching within 12 hours of each other. By adding the last 3 eggs after she’d already been sitting, they will be developmentally 3 days (or however many days it was after she started sitting) behind the others. She will be off the nest before they’re due to hatch.

Do you have an incubator? How far from me are you? You could bring them here to pop in the incubator to hatch if you want when she gets off the nest.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 497 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.