Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Chook Chat Part 2

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 497 total)
  • Author
    VickieVickie

Well i can say for sure that my 1 week old lamb would not get a job on the cover of home beautiful! She is a grubby little thing, as i am sure they all are.

As for my chooks, I don’t think i’ll get any to sit this year.. they are all still upset and seem edgy since Ember and her eggs were eaten. I have put a lot of work into the fence and fingers crossed that will stop the foxes until they find some other place to creep in :angry:

Jenoka77Jenoka77

Sorry to see you had fox troubles again Vickie. It must be devastating for all of you.

We had snow today. The quack crew enjoyed playing in it. The sensible chook roosted well out of the way.

:laugh:

Clean up and swimming

All clean and ducklings by the fire.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Pic of them swimming …..pleeeeeeease!! 🙂

Seems that my rooster Hugo has infectious coryza. He had a tick near his eye too which I have removed.I have isolated Hugo . Has anyone successfully got their birds through infectious coryza? He has all the symptoms, especially the very smelly nasal/beak mucousy discharge.

Not sure where it would have come from , except that Shakira died recently and she has had a sneeze ever since I got her three years ago.Should have sent her back I guess but I was a brand new chook owner then and she never seemed sick except for the sneeze , but perhaps she was a carrier.

I’m a bit worried about Cranky Pants too.She’s been sitting on a sacraficial egg for a few days and when I put the final clutch under her this evening I thought I smelt a whiff like Hugo.Do hope not……..she looks fine.

Jenoka77Jenoka77

Sorry my pics didn’t work. I will try again.

Jenoka77Jenoka77

Sorry my pics didn’t work. I will try again.

Jenoka77Jenoka77

Sorry about Hugo. I’m not sure what you can do for him. So far I have lost 2 chickens to illness, however they were both from the same seller and both just sickly chooks. The rest so far are ok. On is getting a lot of attention from the rooster and seems unhappy so I’m thinking about locking the rooster up for a few days.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Thanks for the ducklings pick! Have you got kids – we did once have a duck in a small above ground pool in the yard.My kids would have thought ducklings in the bath just perfect.

Pity one of my kids put the cat in the pool too to see if it could swim……it could, fortunately.Same kid also dropped the cat out of a first floor window to see if it landed on its feet as she had been told they always do………it did , fortunately……and same kid grew up to be a great animal lover! Was just a very curious child…….

Love the pic of the chooks keeping their feet warm!!

Jenoka77Jenoka77

Your very welcome Blue Wren. Yes I do have kids. They are loving the fun bits. I get to do the not so fun bits.

Lucky cats have 9 lives. My middle daughter loves animals too she is keeping a list of what she has been bitten or kicked by :pinch:

My dad helped me build a “free range” pen for them. They still have their normal pen and run, now when I’m home I can let them out without worrying about dogs. My dog is great with them but my dad’s and cousins dogs aren’t.

Unhappy update on our new turkeys. Okay, so on Wednesday I decided they were no good & they should be returned to the guy at McLaren Flat. Then I thought I’d just check them over again & noticed the black one (which was supposed to be a bronze wing :angry: ) had a very large greenish blueish bruise that looked infected under her wing. After deliberating about it I thought it best to take her to the vet to get checked out. I couldn’t send her back like that & what if he refused her back saying it wasn’t like that on the weekend? Anyway, it was the right thing to do. So we took both birds to the vet. When I had Rosetta (the black one with the injured wing) on the vets table & I was holding her for the vet to check her wing, I felt something hard & crusty under my hand on her side. Thinking it was just a bit of poo stuck to her feathers I commented on it. DH looks & pulls off a bit of something that looked like skin. Vet has a look – she has a massive old injury on her side about the size of the palm of my hand that is infected! :angry: :angry:

So she was given an antibiotic injection & is on oral antibiotics for 5 days. Poor girl. The terrible bruising on her wing also extended to her breast. So then we asked the vet to check out the blue one too. She has been debeaked right back to the edge of her palate. She’s very skinny, hasn’t been eating well – possibly because her beak is so sensitive. :angry: So I rang Des back to say we’re not bringing them back & told him we were very unhappy & he should make amends with MIL as she’s the one who paid him. 2 days later & he hasn’t contacted her – not even to cover the $100 vets bill. No way I’d give those birds back now – I believe they’ll have a better life here. And the gall of the man – he asked me if I was looking for a Tom turkey!! I said yes, but not from him!

Pics of our new birds taken at the vets…

BlueWrenBlueWren

Those birds are so fortunate to have found such a caring home BV.Looks as though the bruising was from a kick? What a lousy guy to sell them like that, especially I imagine to your MIL who likely didn’t know what to look out for.Do hope you get some money back , but you’re probably not holding your breath……… 🙁

EdiediohEdiedioh

Is it possible it got to some rat bait? That causes large bruises like that. Sometimes rat bait can be in amongst straw bales.

Not on our property – no idea if she could get to any on her old property. I’ve seen the man pick birds up by their wings so I suspect poor treatment. 🙁

EdiediohEdiedioh

Does this seem like too good a bargain to be true?

http://www.mychickencoop.com.au/chicken-coops/premium-chicken-coop

lmd80lmd80

It does seem really good Eddiedioh.. We got stung by a place in Byron but thankfully CBA could recall the credit card transaction.

Love all the duck pics, especially the babies in the bath :tup:

And on Sunday the bloody fox jumped the 6-7 foot high fence, took an electric shock at the top & got into the turkey yard & killed our poor turkeys. Absolutely had a gut full of this bloody fox. So I’m doing yet more fencing to further improve them. Sigh. 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 497 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.