Aussies Living Simply

Chokos for planting

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Chokos for planting

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    colliegirlcolliegirl

Ok here’s a question, I have just received a choko plant and want to replant it in my garden. I heard that it doesn’t like wind, I have a high wooden fence all round which side do I plant it on, and is it ok to plant now or do I have to wait? Complete novice, but love chokos.:lol:

sue esue e

considering our whole back yard is choko at the moment i cant imagine why anyone would want to grow them! yuk! hubbie, mum and MIL love them however. i don’t think they need special conditions but i will tell you where ours is and maybe that will be a help. ours is growing under the custard apple tree so i guess it likes a bit of protection from the heat until it gets established. it does share a reasonable amount of water and compost (mushroom mostly) with the tree so i guess a good water and fertilizer/compost must be an advantage as well. other than that i think they are really hardy. they seem to sprout on their side, partially buried. all the fallen ones sprout under the tree. i have read to grow them on trees but i think it needs to be a tree you don’t like cos it just smothers them. good luck and i have a good choko chutney recipe when you’re ready. just don’t sleep too long though cos you will wake up one morning with choko tendrils curling into your ears!:jawdrop:

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I love chokos but can’t grow them here :@

Chokos do not suffer much from pests, diseases or predators, but plants should be protected from hot winds and frosts of which we have too many:(.

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Hi Colliegirl, just watch the frosts. They do not like frost at all.

BullseyeBullseye

Crikey… Chokos… I’ve been feeding them to the cattle, too many for us to eat, too many to give away… A 20L bucket a week of them. The old ones the cows wouldn’t eat, where I collected them again and put them in a box, are sprouting.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I used to make Choko Chutney but they are too expensive to buy when I use 2kg for a batch of chutney.

jennifer gjennifer g

Jude, They grow so easily what’s the problem?? Water?? Maybe Bullseye could make some chutney???? Spicy choko chutney??? mmm

We just plonked one in the ground and before we know it there will be all those sweet little (cute, can a vege be called cute?) chokos growing all over the arch! They are DELICIOUS, especially baked or steamed til tender with butter and salt and pepper..OH YEAH!

Just prepare the soil with goodies as usual and plonk em in, we put them in flat. Well drained soil…too easy!

jennifer gjennifer g

oh, but you want to know where to get one….I didn’t help much did I???

If I had a spare I’d send it…..but I don’t…YET

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I’ve tried and tried but they don’t like the frost here, I can find them no problem just the growing season here isn’t long enough our last frost is usually October and our first is in April but we have had frosts in March.

The gardener that I am just refuse to give up I have another started in a pot ready to put out after last frost I put it out in the sun every day and bring it in at night

bellabella

Judi, they will die down in winter here too, as we have frosts. I find that the best time to plant them is spring, unless you live in NT or tropical Qld coastal areas. They’ll take off like a rocket then, with the soil warming up!

They do like a fair amount of water and ‘feed’ – compost or mulch etc. Our best ones grow under trees in the leafy mulch matter.

I can grow green ones, but have trouble getting white ones to grow. The chooks and ducks like the leaves, the cows like the whole vine! Free-range livestock! LOL

So:

* plant in Spring (you can start it in a pot now and nurture it over winter, might die back but don’t give up, it could come back!

* feed and water well

* protect from leaf-eating pets

Once you’re all inundated with chokos, I’ll share some recipes. 😉

sue esue e

i made choko soup last nite. didn’t tell anyone it was choko until after it was eaten! it was delicious with hot crusty bread! we don’t seem to get frosts here anymore -i think there are too many houses around now – so i guess that is why ours just seems to keep going on and on and on……….

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

When we lived in Brisbane I never grew them as every second house had them growing, now I want them and can’t get them to fruit they grow and just as the chokos start to form the frost gets them.

I used to use them to bulk out stuff like savoury Impossible Pie and even zuchinni cakes, stir fry, soups you name it I probably tried it.

LindyChookLindyChook

I have been wanting to grow chokoes for ages! The kids love them! Havent been able to get any around here for ages! Got a good spot for them too!

WombatWombat

Gotta love chokos!:lol:

Nev

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.