Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Chicks!Mr Clogs and Little Miss Chatterbox are parents!

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock Chicks!Mr Clogs and Little Miss Chatterbox are parents!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

Lucky you having chicks Barvnevelder chicks are not black they are multi coloured sort of. Have a look at this page and right at the bottom is chick pics

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Barnev/BRKBarnev.html

BlueWrenBlueWren

Thanks a lot Judi . I have a couple like those little guys. Perhaps my really dark ones are a mix of Barnevelder rooster and Blue Australorp , the only “darkish” chook I have.

With this very heavy, persistent cold rain I’m wishing I’d given the mower catcher back to LMC after I cleaned it out, not that it ever got dry naturally , so hopefully she’s keeping the chicks snug. Her pen is well roofed so she should be dry and it has a three walled sheltered corner so I hope that’s where she settled for the night. I’m hoping Fifi in the dome catcher is dry too.She was out and about for a while this evening but went back to the catcher on dark. She’s sitting on two plastic eggs at present.

BronBron

congratulations 🙂

you can see if a hen’s eggs are fertile by cracking it open carefully and checking out the yolk. let it drop onto a plate and you may be able to see a large white dot. if it has a second white ring around it, the egg is fertile 🙂 if no ring, not fertile.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Bron wrote:

congratulations 🙂

you can see if a hen’s eggs are fertile by cracking it open carefully and checking out the yolk. let it drop onto a plate and you may be able to see a large white dot. if it has a second white ring around it, the egg is fertile 🙂 if no ring, not fertile.

Thanks Bron. Yes, I have checked like that for fertility, which is why I know Mr Clogs has a bit more work to do with Beyonce, big heavy Rhode Island White that she is. I think he’s a bit scared of her, poor fellow – he’s really such a gentleman, and at over two probably past his prime.But I guess the seven hatched chicks show he’s still got it!!!;) 😉

BlueWren wrote:

Perhaps my really dark ones are a mix of Barnevelder rooster and Blue Australorp , the only “darkish” chook I have.

Love the pics, beautiful healthy looking birds. 😀

The blue color doesn’t breed true, she will pass on either blue or black genes, 50% chance of either color and looks like this chick got black 🙂

EDIT to add: 2 is only young, he could still do his job for years 😆

roogzroogz

Congrat’s they next lot will go twice as smooth.

Blue is Dominant to black while gold should show through on the feathers so technically you could get at least 1 very very pretty Blue laced Gold cross.

your wild E type down chicks – buff with racing stripes should be the barnie type colouring – if they have the cleopatra eye stripes will have more of a chance of being pure while those without will be cross.

and the black back white belly – will be pure blacks or blues, may get a little gold coming through on the neck and chest (birchen)

Roogz:wave:

BlueWrenBlueWren

Well thanks both of you for the genetics posts. Should be very interesting when they feather up, hopefully not too many roosters. I have just moved Fifi Blue Australorp – she wasn’t too pleased with the new nest catcher so I let her stay in the dome catcher nest box which I carried her up in. Not much of a nest though , will see if I can sneak in some of LMC’s straw tomorrow round the edges. I did get untreated wood shavings but they are very fine.I was planning ten eggs but she didn’t seem to be covering that many so took a couple out.She’s nowhere near as big a chook as LMC. I promise not to fuss this time even if she’s not eating, drinking or pooping!!

BlueWrenBlueWren

Rain rain and more rain has not been conducive to pics but patchy sunshine today so I’ll try to get some of LMC and her brood.All seven chicks have survived, even a little one I thought might not make it.LMC is a great Mum and all the chicks are scratching “just like Mum” with their tiny legs and feet, very cute.LMC is a very strong bird and has been kicking half bricks around the pen that were supposed to be holding down the water container and chick crumb tray!! So I have removed the bricks before she concusses the chicks, or likely worse.I am going to have to put the chick crumbs in a low hanging regular grain feeder.

I am very happy to report that Fifi obviously read the Broody Book before she decided to sit, because she is doing everything absolutely by the book! She has even taken shredded paper into the catcher for her nest , she has eaten all her grain , and after only two days done a gargantuan broody poo. She even did that on top of the mower catcher so it was easy to clean up with shredded paper.Go Fifi! If only LMC had read the broody book …….. I’m more and more sure that she didn’t leave her catcher for over two weeks.

Sunshine! I’d better get the camera out!

BlueWrenBlueWren

Don’t know why but today’s pics came out larger files than usual so this one may not post.If not I’ll work it out tomorrow.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Rather worried about one of the Barnie chicks. I think it may have eaten something too large – seems to have something lodged in it’s throat by the “body language”, also is not very active, just standing around or nestling under Mum. I didn’t know she would be fine just eating chick crumbs for a while and I had her grain out of reach of the chicks but she kept spilling it out onto the ground and I know the chicks were tucking in when she called them.Guess all I can do is wait and see.

Seems that Fifi’s broody pattern is to leave the nest every three days for a poop, drink and big feed, as the grain is untouched during those three days, then all eaten at once.So I’m off to clean up the poop and change her feed and water.LMC’s chicks need to have their bedding topped up too.I’d like to remove all the straw and start again with fresh but I think that would freak them out too much.Will try again for pics.

ccBearccBear

Leave the straw as they will be getting help from the bacteria to set up their

immune system. Just put a bit of fresh stuff on top.

BlueWrenBlueWren

ccBear wrote:

Leave the straw as they will be getting help from the bacteria to set up their

immune system. Just put a bit of fresh stuff on top.

Thanks ccB Just had to come in from the rain. That’s good to hear, as I actually did that this am.Left what they had and gave them some organic sugar cane mulch – hope that’s OK? – which they are all enjoying.!! Run out of barley straw and not buying more as I have nowhere good for storage – rats got into the last lot.I love watching the chicks scratch just like LMC- it’s so “grown up”. LMC is kicking mulch all over them but they shake it off and don’t seem to mind.She’s an excellent Mum.

ccBearccBear

Just started raining here, can not get cheap dry mulch for my chooks so i try to shred every bit of paper i can lay my hands on. Love that junk mail.

BlueWrenBlueWren

ccBear wrote:

Just started raining here, can not get cheap dry mulch for my chooks so i try to shred every bit of paper i can lay my hands on. Love that junk mail.

Doing that too! That’s what Fifi has in her broody pen.She’s taken some into the mower catcher for her nest and was siiting in there with some strands tastefully draped across her back!! Are newly hatched chicks OK on shredded newspaper? They don’t get tangled up in it? I do keep away from the shiny coloured stuff.

Little Miss Chatterbox has gathered almost all her new mulch, and I gave her a lot , up into the back very dry and sheltered corner of her pen, and put it on top of all the straw she had already gathered there.So tonight she’s sitting on a big soft heap, Queen LMC , with all the chicks safely tucked underneath her.So glad she’s such a good Mum. It’s pouring with rain again, and very cold and windy.

BlueWrenBlueWren

The chicks are growing fast.LMC is a great Mum and I think she’s enjoying it ……………..

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.