Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Chicks!Mr Clogs and Little Miss Chatterbox are parents!

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock Chicks!Mr Clogs and Little Miss Chatterbox are parents!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    BlueWrenBlueWren

We have chicks! So far I have seen three sturdy little fluff balls.LMC has been sitting on eight eggs with developing embyros so hopefully there will be more.So apart from DH taking a couple of pics I am keeping my distance – see, I DO listen!! – and letting LMC get on with it. The chicks are very mixed colours.Some should be pure Barnevelders – if my Barnies in fact are, they were sold to me as “pure” but I have my doubts, eggs nowhere near dark enough – the rest will be very strange mixtures as I have a Blue Australorp, a Light Sussex, a Red Sussex LMC , a Cochin , a Gold Laced Wyandotte and White Rhode Island as well as the three Barnies and Barnie rooster.

Hopefully first pic is attached and I will update later.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Yay, good news :clap:

shadowdancershadowdancer

aaawwwwww thats sooo cute!!! she’s gorgeous!!! and DH…what a brilliant photo! Nice work! :clap:

BlueWrenBlueWren

I really should give Mr Clogs recognition as well! But he needs to get bolder with my big Rhode Island White, Beyonce – her eggs didn’t develop embryos. He’s a big rooster but he usually tentatively lifts one leg in Beyonce’s direction and she takes off , although I have seen her flat on the ground under Mr Clogs once! So maybe next time I have a broody.

dierichdierich
    Participant

:clap:great news, esp. after all the stress you went through! Enjoy them while they’re cute and fluffy, its surprising how quickly they develop feathers!

marzmarz

Congratulations on the new arrivals :hug:

MumchookMumchook

Great news! Congratulations to all concerned… good pics too :tup:

Just looove chicks. :hug:

sue esue e

aawww. lovely news.congrats:clap:

BlueWrenBlueWren

Thanks everyone! I’m still waiting for LMC to poop, it won’t be pretty, she’s only pooped twice in three weeks, and it wasn’t pretty :|………..hope she doesn’t splat the chicks………… and hope I find out tomorrow how many there are, always supposing LMC does ever get off that nest !! I thought Lady Ping the Cochin was broody yesterday, she was in the nest box for hours and ever so cranky. Today she’s out and about but Fifi Blue Australorp was in the nest box on dark, equally cranky. maybe they are just practising. Perhaps I should get another broody pen organised just in case…………..

BlueWrenBlueWren

Humbug wrote:

Yay, good news :clap:

Hope you have good news tomorrow too, Humbug!

BlueWrenBlueWren

Still have no idea how many chicks have hatched.LMC still tight on the nest – no poop!! – but looks as though the chick crumbs have been eaten a bit – don’t think rats can get in now – and the water was down , so I suppose they have had an outing.Very cool and damp today after hot days, so I guess LMC will keep the chicks close.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Well, LMC has hatched seven chicks so I’m pretty happy about that.One little Barnie egg probably won’t make it. I did find one out in the cold a few days before I candled so it was possibly that one.That was why I candled the eggs , thinking thta 13 may have been too many for LMC although she’s a big fluffy thing.

I thought I had LMC’s grain out of reach but somehow it’s all over the ground and the chicks are tucking in, so hope they can handle it!

And so much for “broody’s never poop in the nest” . At least two huge stinky mucky sloppy poos at the back of the mower catcher and LMC’s backside is a disgrace to all chooks. She’s really not a mother I would want to be near , so hopefully the chicks will stay at the front end. She had made a good choice and left the catcher when I checked them out this am , so I have removed it .The pen is roofed ,sheltered and dry.I was fascinated to see nearly all the egg shell halves tucked into each other in two lots. Do chooks always “tidy up” like that?

NOW – I have another decision to make.Looks as though Lady Ping Cochin was just practising but Fifi Blue Australorp is definitely broody ………. will I let her sit? Probably ! I have four more pen options left over from my daughter’s chook breeding days.I just don’t have time to rat proof another one so she’ll have to to take her chance.

BlueWrenBlueWren

OK Fifi wins…….. So off to town tomorrow to get wood shavings for her boudoir. I can’t be sure they are from untreated timber but it seems people use these for guinea pigs so hopefully they will be OK until I can find a better source eg local woodcrafters.They don’t have any at present but will save them for me. Mostly camphor laurel so that should be fine?

Can’t believe all the rain we are getting ………..:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

BlueWrenBlueWren

Notice the “adventurer” right up the back! And there I was wondering if they would get in and out of the mower catcher OK……….I am learning fast! :tup: Does anyone know if the black ones are likely to be Barnevelders? I don’t have any black chooks!!

MumchookMumchook

S-E-V-E-N chickies, the clever girl! Aren’t they gorgeous little things?!

All was well in the end, so enjoy them now.

Good luck with the next lot, lol! 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.