Aussies Living Simply

Chest freezer or vertical freezer?

Home Forums HOMEMADE Home Preserving, Food Storage and Stockpiling Chest freezer or vertical freezer?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Kristy

I would really love to get a freezer in the near future, to store excess produce, store flour and brown rice in bulk, bake bread, cakes etc to freeze. At the moment I have the small top of the fridge freezer and no room for anything.

Do you have a stand alone freezer? Do you have chest or vertical and what are the pros and cons of each that you have found?

Thank you for your help 🙂

sue e

I had a chest freezer for years and although you could get a lot in it I never knew what was down the bottom( being the organized soul that i am-NOT) so when it died we got an upright one- it is the same size but you cant get as much in it but I KNOW WHATS IN THERE) so for me it works better. I like the draws that you can pull out and observe whats in there. I like how I can sort draws into categories- meat, frozen veges ice cream etc. But that’s just my opinion- others may be a bit better at keeping track of what they put in than than I. :shrug:

calliecat
    Participant

depends on how tall you are and how your back is, when it comes to defrosting it lol

I had a chest freezer, but when defrosting, i had to nearly turn the thing on its side to wipe out the defrosted water down the bottom,

I will always go for upright now – especially one with drawers as opposed to shelves

but think of the defrosting of a chest freezer

Bron

I have an upright, but would love a chest freezer (I’d love to convert one into a chest fridge), just because they are far more efficient.

GirlFriday

We have had both. The chest freezer is now in the kitchen downstairs- the upright is in the garage ready to be sold. I like the chest freezer better- harder to leave the door ajar and lose the entire contents of the freezer.

Lady Bee
    Keymaster

Have two chest freezers and a vertical. Am seriously wanting to dump the chest freezers and get another vertical in its place. There is just so much wasted space in the chest freezer, I can’t reach down the bottom, let alone know what’s down there and they’re a pain in the proverbial to defrost.

calliecat
    Participant

Lady B post=331256 wrote: Have two chest freezers and a vertical. Am seriously wanting to dump the chest freezers and get another vertical in its place. There is just so much wasted space in the chest freezer, I can’t reach down the bottom, let alone know what’s down there and they’re a pain in the proverbial to defrost.

especially when you’re only a littln to start with lol

like me

Kristy

Wow I wasn’t expecting such a difference, I was expecting a lot more for vertical, but I can see a few in favour of chest freezers. Just from a quick look at the good guys and harvey I can see you get a lot more space for your money with a chest, then a vertical.

This looks good for the money- http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/mile_end/Westinghouse_180_litre_vertical_freezer_WFM1800WC

or

maybe something like this http://www.harveynorman.com.au/westinghouse-l-chest-freezer.html

Might measure tonight and see what space I have for either…

lynnie

I have a vertical freezer, used to have a chest freezer when was in UK… pain in the a$$ I gotta say, its a pain trying to get things out, you practically gotta unload the whole freezer to get something out at the bottom thas if you remember whats in the bottom….

GirlFriday

I use the not-so-green shopping bags to organise my chest freezer- ie one bag for frozen veges, one bag for bread and grain, one bag for milk. That way its all tidy, easy to access and I dont look like a duck (head down bum up) in the freezer when I am looking for something for dinner.

Ggang

upright freezers use a LOT more power 👿 IMHO they should be phased out

we even have a chest fridge ……… depends on whether you care more about convenience or doing the right thing for the planet

calliecat
    Participant

and some of us are just too tiny for a chest freezer :shrug:

I had to nearly up end my old one, to clean it – that in itself is dangerous – if it fell

very precarious balancing act that was :blink: :ohmy:

plus there are people out there with spinal and other mobility problems, that would make it very hard to clean out – and not to mention getting things from the bottom

Andre
    Keymaster

Not had much experience with chest freezers or fridges, my pragmatic mind -along with the fact I’m tall – says that the hassles incurred with the chest would be offset with the savings in power/energy. I will be on stand-alone solar, so will need to ensure minimal power useage.

Obviously, those with a smaller frame, and/or on mains power would have their own considerations to take into account. 🙂

I will also be converting a chest freezer to a fridge.

:whistle:

Ashram

I have a chest freezer and I find it much more efficient (you don’t spill all the cold air onto the floor when you open it). I have arranged everything in it in baskets so it is easy to get to what you want.

I have yet to put a power consumption meter on it to see if buying in bulk is actually saving me money, or if I just spend what I save on electricity.

calliecat
    Participant

actually what I do, is once a week, I get stuff from my vertical, enough for the week, and put it in the top of the fridge one – that includes stuff for the furries, – but I am not a 3/4/5 person family either – which would make a difference

mind you, when time comes to buy a new one, I will be looking at a draw vertical freezer as opposed to a shelf vertical freezer – does that make sense lol – having seen them, it does to me 🙂

because apparently, they don’t let out as much of the cold air, also heard that when buying a vertical, to get one that is not frost free, ie you still need to defrost it, got told they don’t use as much power as the frost free ones – which makes sense :tup:

just another couple of thoughts to put into the mix – especially if you are only one person

just depends on your height LOL

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.