Aussies Living Simply

Cheapest House?????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    KirstyKirsty

Hi All,

Looking for some feed back in regards to housing.

What would be the cheapest way to go?

Relocatable/transportable ready made house thingo:confused:

Build with recycled materials myself:awch:

Any other ideas?….there is lots of straw around but I wouldn’t know where to start.

I’m just thinking thinking thinking atm not sure which way if any to go…. :shy:

If you guys had limited funds and where looking for a house to put on a block what way would you go?

Kit home?

Build yourself or they can build?

KirstyKirsty

I have awful trouble with Ikea flat pack stuff and imagine a kit home would be similar 😆 I always have a few screws left over and with a house I could well end up with a length of spouting and the kitchen sink :jawdrop: I will have to go and check out the prices:tup:

urban-wombaturban-wombat

A Tent 😉

urban-wombaturban-wombat

In the west if it’s your first house ex commission homes that have been renovated can be had for a good price..

ErthgirlErthgirl

Strawbale…

Maybe look into getting in touch with a strawbale building company that does workshops (like huff n puff or someone like that), and hosting a workshop on your property… heaps cheaper… cheap labour… lotsa learning and community spirit. 😀

Good luck :hug:

KirstyKirsty

A tent:lol: I have done that before and would want to have another go:lol:

My only specification is I need a room atleast 5 mts by 4 mtrs to fit a persian rug thats been passed throught the family. The commission houses tend to be smallish in room size I think?

bluezbanditbluezbandit

I have built a house of stone that was fairly cost effective and the house I currently live in is a kit home that I got to design the interior layout as only the external loadbearing walls were copyrighted. That house turned out to be cost effective as well.

Deb

Anonymous

we reckon ours was pretty cheap came in around $50k when even 6X12 2 bedroom homes on stumps where costing $63k, and ors was 7X15m with a 3X15m patio across the front.

termite resistant and eco’ style, warm-house/cool-house effects.

we have it featured on our site.

len

mum2twinsmum2twins

You could always squat.

After a certain amount of time the house becomes yours ( 15 years – adverse posession)

Here is a tute on it http://www.wikihow.com/Squat-in-Abandoned-Property

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

GgangGgang

Here the cheapest is a barn/shed house – you can get the shell built by the barn people then get the sub contractors yourself to fit it out

Anne

jodieandgeirjodieandgeir

If you are interested in strawbale building, there are lots around on the web to have a look at, including our construction diary for our own house:

http://www.pipshy.com/diary/diaryindex.html

Not sure if it is that much cheaper to build with straw – most certainly isn’t if you are getting contractors in to do it – but if you are handy you can save a lot of money by doing it yourself. We did everything ourselves, including the frame, the roof, the walls, rendering, plastering, tiles, kitchen, etc. but I would only advise this if you have the chance of doing it full time. It would have been a killer doing it at the weekends with a full time job on the side.

The money we saved by not using a builder, and the reduced mortgage will save us a lot of money in the long run, and is way above the “salary sacrifice” I had to make by not having a job for the building time.

If you have any particular questions, please feel free to PM me.

Cheers,

Geir

BullseyeBullseye
    organicgirlorganicgirl

Hi Kirsty,

A lot depends on what kind of person you are and what you “need”, as well as what climate you live in, the size of your land (ie if you wanted to “hide” – good for the tent!), and also how handy you are.

We have done the removal home (Queenslander timber house though) and it is cost effective, although new building code regulations regarding insulation might have changed that.

Another option is to custom build – very simply. We have used a steel frame – very simple, especially if you use a skillion roof line, passive solar orientation, good insulation and the KISS principle – keep it simple.

Our “house” is slab on ground, very simple frame with very few “walls” and what windows we have will hinge from the top and so also disappear. We do not have close neighbors so can go for such an open house. It almost becomes like a boat, so it can be open or closed to the weather. This was important to us, as was using all natural materials with no off-gasing etc.

It’s really more about you and what you need. After living like this (and still building!), we do not think we could ever live in a normal house again. We started with floor and a roof and then closed up one end so we could move in there first … There is nothing like custom building and using what you have to hand … if you can handle living on a building site and a project that continues to evolve, depending on the ideas, the materials available and the flow of money.

Shout if there is anything we might be able to help with.

Good luck – it’s an exciting journey and it can be done at a fraction of the price without compromising on too much if you’re handy and it works for your situation.

Heidi

ZeitgeistZeitgeist

If we were building again , i would try really hard to go an earthship. Imagine council approvals could be a problem, and you would probably need a couple of big boofy blokes to do the ramming, but to me it would be worth the effort. I love those houses, and you are using otherwise waste products for a lot of the building. Just google “earthships”.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.