Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Changing tap washers – new way or dodgey

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Changing tap washers – new way or dodgey

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    gleanertgleanert

Can anyone tell me whether changing tap washers plumbers are now using the white-sided tape to change washers ??

I knew washers were no longer plastic and had been replaced by metal washers but double sided plumbing tape doesn’t seem like a good long-lasting job?:shrug:

edited to add: That is, using the tape and NOT replacing with any washer.

ccBearccBear

Hope you did not pay him. First I have hear of it and I do a bit of home maintenance. Cost of washers is bugger all.

DocDoc

What ccBear says. :tup:

Usually if you have gone to all the trouble of turning off the mains (once you have located it) and taken the tap apart, it seems silly not to replace the washer with a brand new 50c washer :shrug:

Here is my version of changing a washer – not rocket science but my plumber friend says he has never heard of the tape trick either.

washeringly yours

Doc 😉

gleanertgleanert

Yeah its what I thought – I watched the plumber doing it and he even wanted to replace the perfectly good tap…so it was hard enough saying I just needed the washer replaced and couldn’t do it myself because of a hand injury.

Whilst I watched him I was amazed after he drilled the section that he wrapped the tape around – I queried it and he said they don’t carry all sizes…this was a normal common garden-variety tap!!! He said the tape would work fine.

Since then I have rang another plumber and he said not to worry he does it all the time and it should last ???

So who do you believe?? I just wonder will it spring a leak in the middle of the night:noapprove:

I’ll have a spare washer on hand I think.

gleanertgleanert

Doc, I just had a look at your blog post 😆 what a beaut helper you have…and from my experience with the humankind much preferably.

Anonymous

this tap washer repair method the plumbers use, i’ve never seen it, as i so far have never used a plumber to do tap washers, but is there someway we can see exactly what they do?

len

BoonahgirlBoonahgirl

Nice one Doc

MumchookMumchook

I change my own washers, but just had to comment on this brilliant little tutorial (yet another one!)… Well done, Doc. :hug:

trandtotrandto

Doc wrote:

What ccBear says. :tup:

Usually if you have gone to all the trouble of turning off the mains (once you have located it) and taken the tap apart, it seems silly not to replace the washer with a brand new 50c washer :shrug:

Here is my version of changing a washer –

err yeah, simple enough for that sort of tap but what about the sort that have the taps on the sink and you have a single spigot. Where is the bit that’s leaking ? the tap or the spigot ? and what bit do you replace ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.