Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Challenge for ALS’ers in 2016

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Challenge for ALS’ers in 2016

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I have just been looking at all the old discussion topics to find the one on “books that I have read or am reading” but couldn’t seem to find it. Then I got to thinking to liven up ALS  discussions a bit how about all of us “old faithfuls”,not necessary in years, start a new topic or revive an old one that interests us? So I thought I would kick it of with books.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

I loved seeing peoples gardens, and what they had done,
    made me realise I had gone about mine totally the wrong way

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

my garden has had a battering  🙁  what with the floods a few years back and last November having had 4 hail storms in the month
    books I don’t get to read many now
    I still make bags, do a bit of sewing and crochet not as much knitting now

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

I would love to hear what people are growing that can’t be bought from a shop.  People often tend to have one or two amazing treasures that they found somewhere and have been growing it since.  Judy B’s triffid shallots are a perfect example of this.  Extremely hardy, massively productive, yet nothing similar is available for sale anywhere.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

I have kiwi berry and pepinos growing, have never seen those in the shops,
    a little fruit roadside shop is where I got my first taste of the choc pudding fruit, – all local stuff, not supermarket stuff bought in bulk
    also a friend is growing the (here we go??? lol) the jaboictcana?? lol never can get my head/tongue around that one – also have the seeds of those little mouse melons, but haven’t grown them yet, 
    also have cape gooseberries,
    brazilian cherry,
    strawberry guava
    and some bush tucker plants, like native grapes,sea celery, (like parsley kind of) midgen berry

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

Judi still has some pea and bean seeds that are no longer available to buy

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I had some triffid shallots once got them from gringo a long time ago at a ALS get together at his place but alas they didn’t survive more than 18 months. 

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

still got some from Judi 

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

ballamarra how many triffids do you want? I just threw out a bucket full probably the only thing that didn’t get trashed in the hail…. I can spare a few hundred LOL
    Don’t know about other places but up here you don’t see for sale in shops ….arrowroot, cape gooseberries, tatsoi, figs, kumquat, mulberries and finger limes.

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Just a couple would be great JudiB thanks could you pm me the cost of postage and I will send you a padded prepaid post bag as I don’t have any thing to swap.

mum2twinsmum2twins

I got a book for Christmas…..Must get back into reading.
    Glad I found my way back here

LollyLolly
    Keymaster

Judi.. are your triffids still doing the rounds? How marvellous!! 

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

lol how long’s it been now??

LollyLolly
    Keymaster

So many years!! 😀

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

yes lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.