Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Carvan Reno – Project for 2010

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    ChezzaChezza
    Participant

Hope everything goes OK!! Have fun…. :tup:

GiannaGianna

Wishing you fast & smooth sailing so that you don’t have to break out the SSP’s. :rip: Don’t forget to take a good book or two to stave off boredom. Have a good trip TT. :hug:

Tassie TigerTassie Tiger

Well the van has landed!!!!

An uneventful but hot and interesting trip to Wagga culminated in my return home at 11.00pm last night. Two very pleasant day sailings on the Spirit of Tasmania which I highly recommend(especially if it’s calm)

Stayed in the van on Friday and Saturday nights at Holbrook in NSW and Kilmore VIC respectively. Very cosy. Lots of thoughts and ideas on what needs doing and what would be nice to do but I think the first thing is a few trips away in her, him, it to get a better feel for it and think about alternatives. One thing I am starting realise is that if I am to do a proper renovation job I will need a largish shed to put it in while I remove the cladding and interior linings etc. Oh well all part of the journey.

baringaparkbaringapark

guess you didn’t feel like popping in 😉

Looking forward to pics of the renos :tup:

ChezzaChezza
    Participant

TT your van looks like it’s in great nick… Does it need much doing to it??

Tassie TigerTassie Tiger

The van is very useable and quite cosy as it is Chezza. However, its at that point where things need doing and if they don’t get done they will only get worse. Part of the idea was to renovate to ensure structural integrity and to get it set up where it will meet my needs. So while there is nothing major that needs doing in the short term I suspect once I start the full reno issues will be discovered. Exactly like a house reno. You don’t what you’ll find till you start :confused: 😮 :p

ChezzaChezza
    Participant

okies.. :hug:

Tassie TigerTassie Tiger

Just bringing you up to date. The process of getting my van re registered in Tasmania has begun and hopefully by the end of this month if not before it will be complete:confused::shrug:

The steps are:

An electrician needs to certify that the 240volt system complies with the relevant Oz standard – the sparky has made an initial visit and tells me that it will need to have a circuit breaker/trip switch installed to make it comply then he can provide the relevant piece of paper. Cost – how long is a piece of string? but at $50 per hour for the sparky I suspect it won’t be cheap:(

A gas fitter has to certify that the lpg system meets current standards. Cost – as above:(

Once I get these bits of paper I can then take it to a qualified mechanic who will inspect it for roadworthiness and certify that I have the relevant certifications for the gas and electrical systems. Cost approx $85

Then I take all the bits of paper, the NSW number plates and about $200 to my local Serive Tasmania shop who will (hopefully) provide me with on of those nice new blue and white Tassie number plates and a sticker to put on the window.

One interesting thing I have discovered in the process so far is that the van has foam insulated walls. See picture.

Apparently this was somewhat of innovation in the 1970’s in an attempt to reduce the heat inside basically what is a tin can. Strangely they did not use this system on the roof or the front and rear walls. I will be removing the cladding in these areas to inspect the frame, install a new roof hatch and add additional 240v and 12v wiring to accommodate 21st century gadgetry so I will take the opportunity to add appropriate thermal/acoustic insulation.

God, it’s starting to sound like a house renovation:confused::confused:

Tassie TigerTassie Tiger

A correction to my last post. They did use the sandwich insulation method on the roof so a rethink on how I approach the renovation will be needed:confused::(

UPDATE – I now have the electrical and gas systems certified ($360 later!!!) and will book her in for the RWC next week so hopefully before easter she will be an official Tasmanian.

Some pics:

I needed to remove the sink so the sparky could get to the fridge power point. Note the red dust from the storm in NSW last year. For those interested it also shows the basic construction method of the cupboards.

Good LiferGood Lifer

Let the reno begin!!! Well, it already has … look at that new shiny switch! 😀

ChezzaChezza
    Participant

gotta love a new shiny switch!!!! :tup:

Tassie TigerTassie Tiger

Hey you two are you extracting a michael!!!! Gotta start somewhere and besides it’s a very expensive switch;)

ChezzaChezza
    Participant

Hmm, I’d want mine in pink not blue… 😆

Even though it cost a lot did it go smoothly without any hidden problems?

Tassie TigerTassie Tiger

Oh yeah its blue didn’t even notice:confused: Yep everything went ok no suprises:tup:

Tassie TigerTassie Tiger

Update

The “Tiger” Hunter or should I say huntress passed her road worthy inspection with flying colours:D Just waiting to get paid for my day in the polling booth last Saturday and I will be able to rego her as a fully fledged Tasmanian.:hug::metal:

The next job in the reno process is to get underneath her and remove the damaged water tank, clean and prep the chassis frame and give her a shinning new coat of rust resistant silver paint. So over the next few weeks I could be lying on my back quite a lot :o:o:awch::awch:

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.