Aussies Living Simply

Cars, A/Cand their alternatives

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Think Tank Cars, A/Cand their alternatives

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    newepoch

Many people who have answered Kimble’s thread on ‘Whats the most unsustainable thing you do? Two themes continually pop up: cars and air conditioning. Well now that some of us have identified the problem/practice/whatever I was wodnering if anybody had started to think about solutions for them?

My interest is in an alternative for the car but I live a distance from town and there is no public transport. No close neighbours who work 8-6 anyway. I’m a bit concerned about doing a roundtrip of 50kms on an electric bicycle on a narrow and sometimes winding but busy road. Moving to town is not currently an alternative as I can’t fit three horses into a suburban backyard and there is absolutley nowhere to agist them because of the lack of feed.

So if anybody out there has some solutions/suggestions/ideas that they’d like to bandy about, please feel free.

On air conditioning. A few years ago I lived in a miner’s house in Longreach central Queensland. Summer temperatures on the front sleep out under a tin roof with no insulation was about 76deg c. Day temperatures sometimes exceeded 50d.c. One day the wind was sooooo hot and continuous that I soaked my curtains in water and hung them back up. When the hot breeze hit the curtains it blew a cold breeze into the house. This is not everybody’s cup of tea nor would it be practical for some. But at least I stopped wilting.:tup:

But the idea is to SHARE ideas/solutions/suggestions etc.

So what ideas/solutions/suggestions etc do you have for alternatives to cars or air con?

ziggy

replace the front windcreen with mesh and hessen, kind of like a Coolgardie safe wall and fill the boot with water to pump it down the mesh on hot days.

there problem solved

easy

no more air conditioner in your car

Dan

Anja

Sounds very practical !

Chezza

Good idea newe!

We don’t have aircon but at night here atm there is 5 fans going top speed….. DH has been making noises about getting aircon in the bed rooms and our main living area but I don’t want to. I’m worried that if we have them we’ll USE them…LOL! That we’ll get spoilt and even when it is a little uncomfortable we’ll put them on…. Plus when I hear of friends paying $800+ for their quarterly elec bill it makes me shudder, we couldn’t afford anything like that! :rip: I think just not having one is the only answer…

Lately I have been using DS2 (hasn’t got a license yet) little ’73 corolla to take myself to work and back! I am just about up to 3 weeks on……$30 worth of petrol. :tup: I use it when it is just me in the car. I have a camry cyl wagon that is great on petrol but it doesn’t beat the corolla. Mind you it does have aircon but when it is only me I don’t mind using the other car!

I know we are talking about solutions and I’m sorry I don’t have any…:confused: except to try alternatives to suit your own situation.

Cheryle. xx

ps took DS to Bris for a doctors appt.and wanted to take the corolla to see how she’d go. DH had a fit and I ended up taking his 6cyl work car and used $70 worth of petrol for the day!!! :rip: Mind you we were caught in traffic going nowhere after a traffic accident on the Gateway for 50 mins so we were happy to have the aircon and cd player….. We put Bat Out Of Hell on cranked up the sound….. and waited and crawled and waited and crawled some more!! :@

ziggy

I have seen where on the north side of the house you build a frame from the eves of the house to the ground it generally sits about a foot or 305mm from the house. Then on the frame you put shade cloth to completely cover the north wall of the house to help lower the uv rays and the heat effect on the house. I believe it works quite well, I suppose a veranda with the same thing would be enven better. I built a veranda on the north side of our house and it made a huge difference to the cooling of the house, before it had nothing.

Dan

Anja

I went to visit a friend the other day, it had dropped down to 20c for the first time in a few weeks – they put the heater on! I could bearly breathe – whats wrong with a jumper ??

Q – How many fans could you run before they use the same electricity as an air con ?

njh

I have spent a lot of time thinking about alternatives to both cars and air conditioning.

Geoff

Don’t keep us in suspense here njh πŸ˜†

Wazza

We work from home and that saves car running, but aircon is almost essential in a steamy Qld summer. We use a split system inverter type, which is supposed to be the most economical on electricity. We try and not put it on before noon and usually turn it off at 5 PM. Its set at 26 degrees, which is enough to take the edge of the heat/humidity.

TropicalRose

Ziggy-loved your solution before :lol::lol:

A question for those whose logic and reasoning works better than mine: we run our aircon on 28 degrees and have ceiling fans running flat out to make up for it. Are we really saving power or just kidding ourselves? We’re in the wet season in the tropics so its that or die…:p

The same goes for the car.

An observation: we are currently in a rental liveable tin shed and run the airconditioner a lot. On weekends we go to renovate our elevated old style tropical home with floor to ceiling louvres in every room and are quite happy without it. Design must have so much to do with it.

Lady Bee

A girl I used to work with bragged about her 4/60 air conditioning in her car. Wind down all four windows and drive at 60 kmh.

Evaporative cooling is popular in suburbs of Melbourne, judging from the number of units you see plonked on top of roofs. I don’t know if they are less hungry power wise, but they do consume water.

I went into our local (Myrtleford) hardware store recently. It was a day with temps in mid 30s, and this place has evaporative cooling. It’s normally really, really humid, but this particular day it was just actually hotter than outside. I mentioned this to one of the chaps working there, he said they were doing their bit for the drought and running the system without any water. :confused:

Anniec I had a laugh at your story. Same thing here, visited friends who are getting round in shorts and singlet type tops, and it was a bit cool so they had the DUCTED heating going in their house. I just had jeans and a t-shirt on and had to leave, it was too hot.

Don’t agree with the 26, Warwick. Knock it back a couple of degrees for me. Mind you, I’ve been known to come inside because it’s too hot out and it’s been 18 degrees. :uhoh:

TropicalRose

Another thought for debate: Adelaide RAA (Royal Aus Automobiles) did a test years ago and found little or no fuel saving between running the aircon in a car and having the windows down because of air drag. More recently Mythbusters duplicated their results. Maybe the car aircon isn’t so much the problem as excessive speeds, stop starting in traffic and actually making the trip in the first place if it could have been avoided. Any thoughts?:confused:

newepoch

Ziggy thanks – but I wasn’t talking about air con in the car. πŸ™‚ There are two topics that came up – use of the car and use of air conditioners in the home. I was interested in the car one but thought people might have ideas on both.

newepoch

Lol at Chezza πŸ˜† – yeah I remember my little corolla ran on the smell of a rag. But I was also thinking about my contribution to reducing emissions as well.

newepoch

Ziggy – yes verandahs are a great idea – I just marvel at how many houses don’t use this simple system. :tup:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.