Aussies Living Simply

Carpets

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ahningahning

Is this the right forum to ask about vacuum cleaners? Ours is presently in a coma and DH keeps saying he’s looking at it.

I have a little carpet sweeper which does a reasonable job if you use it every 10 minutes – mustn’t exaggerate: every 25 minutes – but it’s not enough for real life.

I can’t really think of any way to keep wall to wall carpets clean without a vacuum cleaner, especially as DH and I are both erratic housekeepers at best. But it’s always worth asking here.

Anyone got a good substitute for a strong vacuum cleaner?

Thanks

PS Taking up the carpets doesn’t count 😉

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

besides a straw broom (creates a lot of dust) which I use occasionally, a vacuum cleaner is probably the only way.

BlueWrenBlueWren

No alternative. carpet = vaccuum cleaner.Aldi have some uprights in at present.Sounds as though DH is in a “coma” too!! :laugh: But life without any carpets is fantastic!!

ahningahning

Thank you people. Looks like time to send DH an avalanche of “helpful research” on vacuum cleaners, just in case the heart transplant he’s been contemplating doesn’t work. Or start 😀

BlueWren you cheeky bird, I’m the only one who’s allowed to make comatose remarks about my beloved, who assures me he’s not comatose but thinking. You just watch out for salt on your tail.

Ahning

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

agree with BlueWren, Id never have a house with carpets in it again

I have rugs, but we use a broom on them

GrethGreth

WE have carpets, not enough solar power for a vacuum usually. Just a stiff brush and hard work will clean them up fairly well.

Even if you have vacuum you will find it doesnt pick up hairs etc, so should brush them anyway.

VickieVickie

We don’t have any carpets here.. I agree with the others in saying i don’t miss carpet at all!

I do have a rug in the lounge and i use a dust pan and brush for that. My mum bought me a stick vacc becuase she couldn’t handle seeing me sweeping carpet.. the stick vacc sits out in the shed because i can get the rug much cleaner by hand 😛

But back on topic, if i had wall to wall carpet i would need a powerful vacc.

BlueWrenBlueWren

ahning post=332909 wrote:

BlueWren you cheeky bird, I’m the only one who’s allowed to make comatose remarks about my beloved, who assures me he’s not comatose but thinking. You just watch out for salt on your tail.

Ahning

Yes , sorry …….it was a bit cheeky……… 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 ……….. :laugh: :laugh:

IdunaIduna

No carpet here, I hate the stuff, but I do have a couple of rugs. I do vacuum them but even with the cats being inside I don’t have any trouble getting the fur off them. I do roll them up for summer and bring them back out for winter. My mother just uses a straw broom though on her rugs.

SnagsSnags

I got a couple of rugs and bare floor boards

Still vacuum them.

The cyclonic from Aldi was fantastic for under a $100 until it died when the plumber vacuumed chip board cupboard pieces after drilling a few holes.

Its a Dyson knock off and sucked fantasticaly and had a filter you could clean (so no need for extra bags or filters)

Only comes up once or twice a year but it should be up in a the next few months as I havent seen it for a while and Im going to buy another one and only vacuum rugs and floors instead of construction waste.

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/lumina-signature-multi-cyclonic-bagless-vacuum.html

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.