Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Carp and Black Soldier Fly Larvae

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Aquaponics Carp and Black Soldier Fly Larvae

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Hamish121212Hamish121212

Hi all,

I have had my aquaponics setup for a few years now – after a house move I set up my system again just before winter. Because I needed some well established large fish to populate the 1200L tank through the cold months I looked for something I could catch locally.

Because I live on the NSW side of the border with Qld I did some research and found that I can keep Carp legally in NSW – yes I know people think they are terrible fish and they are a noxious pest blah blah – but as I am a vegetarian all I need in my tank are good tough fish that wont die on me and poo a lot. Carp fit that description well and have survived over winter without any problems – jade perch (my prefered Aquaponics fish) would not have survived through our winter unless they had a good 6 – 12 months growth on them.

Anyway – the usefulness of carp continues. I have found that all the local fishermen catch heaps of carp and throw them up on the bank of the river to die in the sun. Leaving stinking piles of fish everywhere. I hate seeing this so I have started collecting these on the way home and I am composting them down to make a rich garden fertiliser.

I am also using them to feed my biopod. The black soldier fly larvae go crazy for these dead carp – and then I feed the larvae to my chooks and also to the carp in my aquaponics system which in turn provides me with fresh veges to eat.

So there you go – a use for carp even though I am a vegetarian. I love turning a waste stream into something useful. And at the same time I am cleaning up the river banks and making sure birds dont drop fish full of carp eggs back into the river.

Hope you can all make use of a wasted resource too.

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

That all sounds reasonable to me Hamish!:tup:

BobbeeBobbee

:wave:

Hi Hamish :wave:

That sounds like a great way to use carp Hamish. Well done. :clap: I believe what you’ve done is called thinking outside the square. :tup:

Bobbs :wave:

WombatWombat

Well done!

Nev

Hamish121212Hamish121212

Here is another use for carp – throw them on the BBQ for a couple of minutes on each side wrapped in foil and once cooked throw the whole thing in the chook house. Alternativly boil them in a pot of water for a couple of minutes. No need to gut or clean them – cook them whole. The chooks go crazy for them and its a great source of free protein for them.

BelBel

Well done Hamish. We’ve often thought about putting carp in our AP system as other species can be a bit hit and miss. Currently have some silver perch, but they’re not growing very quickly. We also have a biopod, but having trouble getting some BSF established. I don’t suppose you could send me some larvae (I’d be happy to pay for postage)?

mudhenmudhen

Do you have a compost going atm, Bel? If so, I’d be surprised if you didn’t have some in there already. They completely invaded my compost when I was living in the Riverland, but if most of your fruit and veg scraps are going to the chooks then maybe they haven’t established in yours. Do a google image search if you’re not sure what they look like. Big ugly things – yuck! Can’t complain too much as they actually did a good job breaking down the compost for me.

Hamish121212Hamish121212

I would be happy to post you some. But like mudhen I would be surprised if you don’t already have them.

BelBel

We’ve got tons of compost around the place, but no BSF that I’ve found. We’ve had BSF before, but gave the biopod a break for a while. We’ve put more compost in the biopod, but it hasn’t repopulated with BSF as yet. If you could send me some larvae, that’d be great Hamish. I’ll PM you.

Hamish121212Hamish121212

Lots of rotting vege scraps is what you need to attract them to the biopod.

Hamish121212Hamish121212

The other thing to do is to pour any of the liquid from the collection jar at the bottom of the biopod over the vege scraps. The smell the bsf larvae give off in this liquid will attract bsf.

WombatWombat

If you REALLY want to attract BSF, I find that putting veggies in the biopod that have first been broken down through a Bokashi bucket works really well. :tup:

Nev

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.