Aussies Living Simply

Can you survive for three days?

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Peak Oil – where are we headed? Can you survive for three days?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    smurfysmurfy

After following Roadwarriors thread ’20 minutes without a supermarket’, I thought I would share this with you.

After the terrible cyclone Yasi in the north, and flooding in SE Queensland, Queensland has been ‘reassessing’ its response to / preparation for natural disaters.

Every household in the State has recieved a ‘Get Ready Queesnsland’ booklet to stick on the fridge, advising people how they should prepare for and respond to natural disaters. The campaign is also accompanied by a television ad, asking ‘Could you and your family survive for 3 days?’.

We have found this to be quite ironic……as we could probably survive for 3 months without help if we needed to, and have don’t expect others to look after us when the SHTF.

While I think it is great that the Govt is helping to educate ‘sheeple’ to prepare to look after themselves,it really illustrates the fact that most of society just lives in a bubble and expects that someone else will rscue them or that they will go to the shops to get what they need.

Hopefully people will use the information, and it will avoid some of the tragedy we experienced here in Jan/Feb.

GirlFridayGirlFriday

sheeple πŸ˜‰

GirlFridayGirlFriday

I think we could survive two weeks- dinners might get a bit boring but we will still eat as will all the pets.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

We managed for a while on what we had in our stockpile canned food, milk powder etc, when we did get to town there wasn’t anything to buy anyway. We couldn’t leave the property for several days even just walking out was impossible.

BarbBarb

It would depend on what had happened. No power, yes,

No transport, yes.

The cow got in and ate all the gardens…yes but there would be no fresh fruit or veg.

House burnt down. Yes we could live out of the freezer in the shed, if that was still there.

Freezer turned off and all food was ruined before we knew. Yes. We have chooks so eggs and meat there.

If we could stay here and had power we’d be right for a few months so I can’t see 3 days as being a problem. I think it would be the same for most people here.

I know a few families that couldn’t.

Barb.

http://barbsbackyard.blogspot.com/

espinay2espinay2

While we didn’t get the overall floods that Qld did here, I rememeber last year an area near Canberra popular for ‘lifestyle’ farms was cut off when a bridge was washed out. It was big media news for a while and they were doing drops of food and supplies to them as things were ‘desperate’…..after two days…. :jawdrop:

I remember thinking at the time how on earth can people be so unprepared. Even more so, how on earth can people who live out of town be so unprepared. Not just because of the effect on themselves, but for the fact that they are relying on expensive emergency support that could easily be used elsewhere where it might really be needed. :angry:

We were cut off here for a couple of days. No big deal. Some friends were cut off for about a week. No big deal for them either (but where they are they are used to being cut off at least once or twice a year for a day or two, so are well prepared). We have a couple of months supply here so I think we would do ok.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

same as Barb, if I still had power, could last for months (freezer is full) not sure if that’s good or bad lol, to be relying so heavily on my freezer :shrug:

KristyKristy

I have just been thinking about this a little more and most weekends I don’t go to the shops, so that is two days, I could easily survive 3 days or more, depending on the situation.

AshramAshram

I too learnt a new, very appropriate word that will now be part of my regular language πŸ˜€

mumof6mumof6

the property we have brought just before we settled was flooded in for a week in sep we moved in and all the locals warned us have an emergancy box of a weeks food at all times cause if it not floods its fire and even if you run from fire were you go you still need to eat! so we have a box of staples always. but if it were fire Im sure I would leave the box of food and run. :shrug:

mumof6mumof6

I should add we were in our house 2 months when in Dec we were flooded in for 3 days all the locals said take a pitcure as it was the first time recorded for a flood in dec for this area of Vic.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would tack this on here…

In this compendium, Selco describes what it was like living in a city for a year without power, fuel, running water, food distribution or any semblance of traditional commerce. Their currency was useless, there were no police forces or government, and the streets were ruled by gangs and violence. The survival strategies that he, his family, and community used to stay alive are eye-opening and may change some of the priorities that you have when it comes to preparing for a SHTF scenario where you live. Although it’s long read, I highly recommend it given the wealth of knowledge taken from someone who’s lived it.

Here is the link to Selco’s story.. (I have not read it all as yet)

SHTF Survival Q&A: A First-Hand Account of Long-Term SHTF Survival

BobbeeBobbee

πŸ™

Thanks for the link Hummers. :clap:

:hug:

I shop fortnightly and could probably go a month, so ace the 3 day thing. Some stuff I have 3 months or more supply like rice. Though mite b eating my bunnies for meat, though most neighbors have sheep or cows round here. Thnx for links.

DottyDotty

I live in central Queensland and just before the beginning of every wet season I drag out, check and restock my cyclone kit regardless of whether we are in a La Nina or an el Nino weather pattern.

I have 6 weeks worth the supplies as, historically it takes this long for the utilities to be reconnected and mains water to be fit to drink.

I check all the O rings on my gas bottles and get them filled, tinned foods, milk powder and shelf stable flat breads like tortillas, rice, candles, matches, spare batteries etc.

With water I have a few cases of bottled water, filter jugs and I have a bottle of Milton that I can use to sanitize mains water if I have to. Boiling mains water for 5 mins and then passing it through a filter jug is also another way to get potable water.

I fill two jerry cans with fuel for my car because in the event of a flood or really heavy rain most service stations underground tanks will be contaminated with water. This was a lesson learned the hard way.

I get the car serviced and I check to make sure my tyres are in good nick. Driving in the wet with bald tyres is suicide.

I get a lump sum of cash out and hide it well. In the event of a power outage the atm’s won’t be working.

I make sure that all my important documents are placed in water proof bags and sealed.

I wrap my precious PC in a garbage bag and duct tape it to seal it.

I have two fully charged batteries for my lap top so I can stay connected with the out side world.

My next item I’m planning on acquiring to add to my kit is a 4 stroke genset.

Which should make my life a lot easier in the event of another disaster.

I have the equivalent of a “bug-out bag” and I’ve timed myself..I can be out of this house in under two mins.

Cheers,

~D.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.